Dunleavy Signs New Contract

Sabel79

Actually when Paul Hamilton did the play-by-play for some Sabres prospect tournament games he was really good, and would be a better replacement then Dunleavy.

Hamilton did pretty well too, but Dunleavy tries to bring more flair to the role and I like that. 

At the end of the day, at least we know it isn't going to be Kevin Sylvester.   :D

Edited by SHAAAUGHT!!!

This should have been the Sabres slogan for the last decade.

SHARPEN YOUR MEH

Hamilton does a solid job. I'd say he does call a cleaner, more interesting game than Dunleavy.

From a PSE-brand perspective, I'd guess that they like Dunleavy more because, chief among other reasons, he's more camera-ready.

Hamilton's play-by-play is terrific.  If RJ from ten years ago is a 10, Hamsammich is an 8 or 8.5 and Dunleavy a 6.  He isn't telegenic, but RJ isn't, either.

And the other half we won't know who actually is carrying the puck. RJ is blind as a bat, doesn't recognize the players and can't read the numbers. I've been a big fan of his but it's time to retire.

Besides Dunleavy doesn't do anywhere near as bad a job as some moan and groan about.

At first I didn't like Dunleavy because he was 'different' and not what I was used to. I'm good with him now though. Is he the best play by play guy ever? Nope, but I'm happy with him.

RJ is great but he is waaaayyy over the top. I like his call but his hysterical screaming is moving the goal posts on what is considered good play by play. He's kinda absurd. And we love him For it. But everyone expects absurd as the new norm. Dan is just fine. He's definitely more accustomed to TV semantics, which his lack of definitive "scores" or "goal" seems to stem from.

RJ is great but he is waaaayyy over the top. I like his call but his hysterical screaming is moving the goal posts on what is considered good play by play. He's kinda absurd. And we love him For it. But everyone expects absurd as the new norm. Dan is just fine. He's definitely more accustomed to TV semantics, which his lack of definitive "scores" or "goal" seems to stem from.

I mostly agree with this, though I think some of it is due to age. RJ used to call a great game, separate from the histrionics. He doesn't anymore. I can barely tell what's going on half the time on the radio these days.

Separately, I'm definitely not feeling the Hamilton love. To me, his play by play is like a student's paper that says a lot without actually saying much at all. I think he tries to get in all these little details, doesn't give the game room to breath, and I have no clue what's really happening. I find his goal calls incredibly forced, as well.

I mostly agree with this, though I think some of it is due to age. RJ used to call a great game, separate from the histrionics. He doesn't anymore. I can barely tell what's going on half the time on the radio these days.

Separately, I'm definitely not feeling the Hamilton love. To me, his play by play is like a student's paper that says a lot without actually saying much at all. I think he tries to get in all these little details, doesn't give the game room to breath, and I have no clue what's really happening. I find his goal calls incredibly forced, as well.

Yeah I've haven't paid too close of attention to RJ during these awful seasons. When I have, the drop off from his previous self is noticeable. He doesnt always follow the play and gets players wrong occasionally. He still sounds invested which I think is the biggest problem with Dunleavy. He sounds like a leafs fan doing Sabres game. It's tangible and off putting.

I still say give Rick a spotter or spotting system and it would help him tremendously. And, no, I have no idea how such a system would work.

If you had told me five years ago that Rick would still be doing games and would still sound this good, I wouldn't have believed it. This was pre-cancer and pre-pacemaker. I think he's probably feeling better than he has in years. He looks better.

That said, I think he's had to tone his style down and play a more comfortable game, play within himself. 75 will do that to you. I don't think he has the lung power he used to for the over the top goal calls, which I miss. But there's something to be said for his "comfortable in my own skin" sound.

The problem with the understated opponent goal calls is that it's awful for those listening on the radio and even if you have the TV on, sometimes you're not focused like a laser beam on it. You need the punctuation when a goal is scored.

Yeah I've haven't paid too close of attention to RJ during these awful seasons. When I have, the drop off from his previous self is noticeable. He doesnt always follow the play and gets players wrong occasionally. He still sounds invested which I think is the biggest problem with Dunleavy. He sounds like a leafs fan doing Sabres game. It's tangible and off putting.

That's another good thought on Dan. He sounds so damned... Canadian. Sorry, Canadians.

And the other half we won't know who actually is carrying the puck. RJ is blind as a bat, doesn't recognize the players and can't read the numbers. I've been a big fan of his but it's time to retire.

Besides Dunleavy doesn't do anywhere near as bad a job as some moan and groan about.

Agree. Love RJ. He's the voice of Sabres hockey. But when you listen to games from 10-15 years ago, you can hear how far he's fallen. As Rocky Balboa says "time takes everyone out." Edited by PromoTheRobot

I listened to Mike Emrick for quite a long stretch the other day. As brilliant as he truly is, the problem is that everything gets leveled out to this high-pitched fervor. The most mundane play has to be an arching lob to the digging Johnson and the clear on around! What Rick does masterfully, in opposition to his reputation, is calmly for the most part let his voice tell the listener what the pace and tenor of the game is. When his voice is slow and low and measured, you know the D are resetting and maybe there's a line change and there's zero chance of anyone scoring. When there's a scoring threat, you sure know that as well. Sadly, and understandably, Rick can no longer always make the threatening parts of the game, as well as goals, clear and compelling. The rest of it? I think he's almost as good as he's ever been. Remember, Rick has never been an overexplainer. He leaves things to our imagination. "A long shot is kicked into the corner" has never been "A 55-foot wrister from the right point is steered to the far boards by Miller's blocker."

Edited by PASabreFan

I listened to Mike Emrick for quite a long stretch the other day. As brilliant as he truly is, the problem is that everything gets leveled out to this high-pitched fervor. The most mundane play has to be an arching lob to the digging Johnson and the clear on around! What Rick does masterfully, in opposition to his reputation, is calmly for the most part let his voice tell the listener what the pace and tenor of the game is. When his voice is slow and low and measured, you know the D are resetting and maybe there's a line change and there's zero chance of anyone scoring. When there's a scoring threat, you sure know that as well. Sadly, and understandably, Rick can no longer always make the threatening parts of the game, as well as goals, clear and compelling. The rest of it? I think he's almost as good as he's ever been. Remember, Rick has never been an overexplainer. He leaves things to our imagination. "A long shot is kicked into the corner" has never been "A 55-foot wrister from the right point is steered to the far boards by Miller's blocker."

Very well said. His cadence and expression describes what is happening as much as (more than) his words.

With Rick, you don’t have to understand English to understand the drama of the game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.