Round 3: 2018 NHL Playoffs

LGR4GM

I don't think Vegas is a cute story anymore, I'm officially annoyed as hell by this. 

Yep. My complaints are registered on this forum. I don't like that the league made the expansion draft rules so lax that new teams can instantly put together Cup-worthy rosters. It's a slap in the face to fans of franchises (like ours) that have been chasing the Cup for decades. The owners get their expansion fee pay day and the long-time fans suffer.

Also (since it's late and I'm cranky) I can't stand the cheesy dinner theatre on ice pre-game show that they do in Vegas.  :devil:

I’m sorry this is a team of Randy Woods and Bob Sweeneys and Darryl Shannons and Derek Plantes without the Dominic Haseks and Pat Lafontaines. And they are still winning.

them and their city that has earned nothing.

Edited by dudacek

Dale Tallon has so much to answer for...

Agree and so did Fletcher from Minnesota and then you look at Anaheim they were so worried about Manson and Vatenan that they let a better defenseman in Theodore go. You people can complain all you want but Buffalo has 40+ years to figure it out and they still can’t. It’s on the owner, management, scouting, and the players they have had. We had a great goalie in Hasek and didn’t get enough scoring when he was there.

The Cup will be tarnished if the Knights win and I will forever question the legitimacy of the league itself.

And why is that. Every team had more then enough time to protect certain players and they didn’t so who’s fault is that. We can all agree after the team was put together during the expansion draft most felt they wouldn’t be the worst team but definitely not a playoff team. Besides Pittsburgh, Nashville could have protected Neal and let someone else go and chose not to. Like I said before that is piss poor management. Look at Buffalo we all knew it was Ullmark and Carrier that was going to be picked. Both were practically minor leaguers. Their was a handful of teams that got it right and a handful that didn’t and they got fleeced. Nobody’s fault except their own.

How much did the Vegas shooting days before the season and the response of the team on opening night bind the Knights and the community? Maybe a stretch, but who knows.

A lot and I lived here since 89. I’m shocked at how the team and community rallied around it. This community loves the Knights, now the Raiders on the other hand not so much. I don’t even want them here. All of us that play hockey are in shock to see what is happening here. Besides the games being sold out the practices are chuck full of fans watching. Go look at their Twitter Page on the days of practices and you will see the stands full and standing room only. Incredible Edited by SabresBillsFan

What Vegas is doing is remarkably improbable. It’s not unlike what Leicester City did in the EPL a couple years ago.

It’s an enjoyable spectacle.

Sure, if Leicester had been able to pick a good-to-very good player from every other premier league team, and had been given an All-Star keeper to boot.

I honestly don't get the anger.  I suppose it is Shradenfreud.  I'd much rather have a new team come in and put on a show than have one come in and suck up every arena they visit for 5-7 years like most every other expansion team.  It is about entertainment, you know.

Vegas built the team we went deep with in '99 and '07.  All 2nd and 3rd liners, mobile D, and very good goaltending.  Any good GM could have built that team.  Ours chose to sell suffering instead as the only right way so now we wish it upon all other "undeserving" franchises.  Meh.

Sure, if Leicester had been able to pick a good-to-very good player from every other premier league team, and had been given an All-Star keeper to boot.

It's playoff hockey..... the hot goalie wins. Flower is doing headstands and Helly is regressing to his mean. It helps when the players are hungry  to show that they are not cast-offs and the coach is smart enough to turn them loose. They deserve what they earn in the small window of time that is the Stanley Cup playoffs. If they win it all, it is because they earned it over that 6 weeks. More power to them if they pull it off. There is still a long way to go before a team hoists the cup.

###### Vegas!

...And their "fans."

I make no excuses or apologies for saying that.

###### you.

You deserve nothing and I wish you no good will.

Wayne Newton?! Really?! That guy is a living turd.

Edited to put fans in quotes.

I agree with ###### their fans. Surprised there wasn't an all out brawl at the sabres game there. The Raiders found the right fan base to take over for oakland.

I agree with ###### their fans. Surprised there wasn't an all out brawl at the sabres game there. The Raiders found the right fan base to take over for oakland.

Really! First off nobody here in Vegas wants the Raiders at all. You have no clue to what your talking about. All I see here is people that are complaining because one teams Management and scouts did it right and a ton of other teams Management that has absolutely no clue.

I honestly don't get the anger. I suppose it is Shradenfreud. I'd much rather have a new team come in and put on a show than have one come in and suck up every arena they visit for 5-7 years like most every other expansion team. It is about entertainment, you know.

Yep. For 500 million, expansion teams should be given a fighting chance. It's good for the league.

I understand Sabres fan's bitterness. It sucks the biggest dick ever that we have to sit here and watch this. Shame on other GMs for not doing a better job. Botterill is going to need to do something innovative this offseason. Otherwise he'll be shown the door. I don't expect a cup but a few big moves are required to get this team competitive.

I honestly don't get the anger.  I suppose it is Shradenfreud.  I'd much rather have a new team come in and put on a show than have one come in and suck up every arena they visit for 5-7 years like most every other expansion team.  It is about entertainment, you know.

Vegas built the team we went deep with in '99 and '07.  All 2nd and 3rd liners, mobile D, and very good goaltending.  Any good GM could have built that team.  Ours chose to sell suffering instead as the only right way so now we wish it upon all other "undeserving" franchises.  Meh.

I actually wish it on all other franchises.

Really! First off nobody here in Vegas wants the Raiders at all. You have no clue to what your talking about. All I see here is people that are complaining because one teams Management and scouts did it right and a ton of other teams Management that has absolutely no ###### clue.

Again, because it still hasn't sunk in, it wasn't necessarily that other management had no clue, it was that it was impossible for them to keep all their good players. They only had a certain number of players they could protect. Vegas got to pick every teams next great player and were guaranteed to get good players.

Add to that the advantage they had with most of those contracts, to then be able to then get Neal and Smith and Fleury and they can go screw.

Yes, I'm angry, and jealous, and bitter, and so sick and tired of watching our team, and I'm completely within my rights as a fan(atic) to say so and wish another undeserving fan base that they can go screw.

Really! First off nobody here in Vegas wants the Raiders at all. You have no clue to what your talking about. All I see here is people that are complaining because one teams Management and scouts did it right and a ton of other teams Management that has absolutely no ###### clue.

didn't say they wanted the Raiders. I compared the fans of the vegas golden knights to the fans in oakland at raiders games. It's sad because I like the team and hope they win the cup.

didn't say they wanted the Raiders. I compared the fans of the vegas golden knights to the fans in oakland at raiders games. It's sad because I like the team and hope they win the cup.

I hope you have attended some games here in Vegas because if you haven’t you have no clue of what your talking about. I have been at almost every game this season and the only idiot fans I have seen all season were Philly fans. Yes their are idiots in every building. I remember games at the Aud where there were more fights in the stands then on the ice.

Vegas forward group last night:

Trade-Trade-Trade

Trade-Trade-Draft

Trade-Draft-Waivers

Draft-Draft-Trade

I understand that some of those trades were made due to the expansion draft rules...however, the rules didn't dictate the content of those trades. Some other GMs made some really bad decisions when evaluating their own players. Vegas easily could have been pathetic this year if other GMs (I'm looking at you, Dale Tallon) didn't giftwrap top-line players for them.

Edit: I'm offering a mulligan on the William Karlsson thing. There was simply nothing in his entire career to indicate he'd be a 1st line center on a contender.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Travis YostVerified account @travisyost May 17

More

Vegas forward group last night:

Trade-Trade-Trade

Trade-Trade-Draft

Trade-Draft-Waivers

Draft-Draft-Trade

I understand that some of those trades were made due to the expansion draft rules...however, the rules didn't dictate the content of those trades. Some other GMs made some really bad decisions when evaluating their own players. Vegas easily could have been pathetic this year if other GMs (I'm looking at you, Dale Tallon) didn't giftwrap top-line players for them.

Edit: I'm offering a mulligan on the William Karlsson thing. There was simply nothing in his entire career to indicate he'd be a 1st line center on a contender.

I could see Pittsburgh losing Fleury because they could only protect one but they could have moved him for something else and let Vegas choose another player. All these GM’s had time to make moves with their rosters and didn’t. I’m getting tired of hearing gift wrapped players.

Go back and look at who Anaheim protected. Vermette and Bieksa. Maybe their no trade clause was an issue but let’s face it both players are garbage.

Look at Calgary we chose Engelland which we didn’t have to because he would have signed here anyway. We could have had Brouwer, Stajan, Versteeg, Stone or Elliot. And use them for trades later.

Nashville protects Jarnkrok

Florida protects Yandle and Petrovic.

Minny protects an aging Pominville

St. Louis protects Reaves

Toronto protects Martin

Washington protects Eller who has been third line material

Winnipeg protects Lowry who is invisible

Go back and look at the expansion lists. You guys can see for yourself at all the blunders.

Sorry you watch this player in practice daily you have to have a clue of what he brings. It’s like when Vegas claimed Carpenter off waivers from San Jose you can see what he had in practice and that made Leipsic expendable.

Weren't almost all those players mandatory protects?

Don’t know but your telling me that these GM’s didn’t have time to make moves with their rosters so they wouldn’t have to lose a key piece. They all knew the expansion rules far in advanced it wasn’t like they couldn’t have dumped these players during the season.

Don’t know but your telling me that these GM’s didn’t have time to make moves with their rosters so they wouldn’t have to lose a key piece. They all knew the expansion rules far in advanced it wasn’t like they couldn’t have dumped these players during the season.

How do they dump a guy w/ a NTC or a NMC? If the player won't waive that condition, there really isn't anything the GM can do about it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.