Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

I don't see why it wouldn't be more likely that he's moved after the Sabres pay him his bonus. Would seem like any team trading for him would prefer to do so after the 1st.

It could potentially be a ruse to get them to pay their price sooner. Just because Pegula is willing to pay 7.5 million doesn't mean he should have to 

Relying on Bogosian is only incrementally less dumb than giving up assets to acquire him. By relying on Bogosian to be both good and healthy, contributing in the top-4, Botterill is functionally deciding to enter the season short a top-4 defenseman.

This is certainly fair from a fan perspective. It's just that to the extent that culture is real and matters, I don't think moving out a 4th liner will make a lick of difference on that front.

C'mon True do you actually believe Botterill's would choose is rely on Bogosian for anything? He spent his last two drafts restocking his D Prospect Pipeline and it would not surprise me if he is seeking a RHD (Parayko/Hamilton/Faulk) as part of a return for ROR.

Most likely he mentioned Bogo in his presser as he is on the roster right now, I'm positive he is still looking to improve his Top 4 between now and October 1st.  It will still take him an additional year or two to get his roster in place and extending Bogosian Cap Hit over a four period does not make any sense.

Also Vogl added that Philadelphia is in on the ROR Trade Talks

I don't see why it wouldn't be more likely that he's moved after the Sabres pay him his bonus. Would seem like any team trading for him would prefer to do so after the 1st.

Or its posturing by Botterill as his price goes up on July 1st.

C'mon True do you actually believe Botterill's would choose is rely on Bogosian for anything? He spent his last two drafts restocking his D Prospect Pipeline and it would not surprise me if he is seeking a RHD (Parayko/Hamilton/Faulk) as part of a return for ROR.

Most likely he mentioned Bogo in his presser as he is on the roster right now, I'm positive he is still looking to improve his Top 4 between now and October 1st. It will still take him an additional year or two to get his roster in place and extending Bogosian Cap Hit over a four period does not make any sense.

Also Vogl added that Philadelphia is in on the ROR Trade Talks

We'll see how things play out, but Housley gave him an A to wear last season and Botterill consistently mentions him publicly. The last bit could easily just be politics, but I don't think it's a guarantee given the role Bogosian was expected to play this past season.

It could potentially be a ruse to get them to pay their price sooner. Just because Pegula is willing to pay 7.5 million doesn't mean he should have to 

Yep.  The price will go up, as it should, and the press has implied it.

Other teams might have more interest in getting him after the Sabres pay his bonus, but the Sabres might be less likely to deal him because they have now played his bonus anyway and take the cap hit. If they could trade him and not pay his bonus they are willing to make a deal, but once they give him the bonus they might as well keep him. Just because the Pegulas have money, it doesn't mean they want to just give it away to players to make some of the fans happy.

Other teams might have more interest in getting him after the Sabres pay his bonus, but the Sabres might be less likely to deal him because they have now played his bonus anyway and take the cap hit. If they could trade him and not pay his bonus they are willing to make a deal, but once they give him the bonus they might as well keep him. Just because the Pegulas have money, it doesn't mean they want to just give it away to players to make some of the fans happy.

I thought I heard that the cap hit moves to the new team? I think it was LeBrun on WGR who said that the Hurricanes, for example, would accept the hit of they didn't actually have to pay.

I would think that ROR was easily worth the 3rd pick in this years draft, proven, young enough, a center.... But the fact that the Habs picked a guy they reached for, really is the first time I'm realizing that we def are over valuing ROR a bit on here. I didn't believe it until that point.

I thought I heard that the cap hit moves to the new team? I think it was LeBrun on WGR who said that the Hurricanes, for example, would accept the hit of they didn't actually have to pay.

The cap hit moves, but the contract is structured in such a way that bonus payments, such as the one ROR is due 7/1, make up much of his actual salary. He's pulling in his last big payday. From here on out his actual salary + bonuses decreases, but the cap hit remains the same.

I would think that ROR was easily worth the 3rd pick in this years draft, proven, young enough, a center.... But the fact that the Habs picked a guy they reached for, really is the first time I'm realizing that we def are over valuing ROR a bit on here. I didn't believe it until that point.

Or maybe it's just Montreal who is undervaluing O'Reilly, and the rest of the NHL sees it the way we do: that only Dahlin and Svechnikov are more valuable than O'Reilly.

Can't fault JB for Montreal's stupidity. O'Reilly's value is going to take off after the initial wave of free agency. The asking price should be something along the lines of a top-6 LW and a top-4 RHD, both under the age of 25.

Did anyone actually expect to get #3? I think most are in the mindset of needing him to be pried away, which is why #3 was being talked about. The sense I get is the majority need a team to be willing to overpay to get him; that a team didn't overpay doesn't really mean we overvalue him.

I would look at St Louis as a potential destination for ROR. Doug Armstrong told Jeremy Rutherford of The Athletic that Tavares already told them no, they spoke to Columbus about Panarin and he is not interested in signing an extension so to the trade market they must go. They have the players and prospects, now they need an acceptable offer to The Sabres

They drafted a center that might not play for another 2 years in the NHL.    They still need a center.

We also have to take into account the lack of depth in the Montreal Prospect Pool and their lack of rostered players who are worth trading for. Therefore Botterill has to ask for their best asset which was the Third Overall Pick.

Did anyone actually expect to get #3? I think most are in the mindset of needing him to be pried away, which is why #3 was being talked about. The sense I get is the majority need a team to be willing to overpay to get him; that a team didn't overpay doesn't really mean we overvalue him.

Exactly. We're not looking to just dump ROR but if we're offered enough we'd trade him is how I see it.

We also have to take into account the lack of depth in the Montreal Prospect Pool and their lack of rostered players who are worth trading for. Therefore Botterill has to ask for their best asset which was the Third Overall Pick.

It was basically their only asset. Mete and Gallagher isn't getting you ROR. They have very little prospect depth. Basically none and they aren't getting ROR now.

Philly and St. Louis are interesting landing spots.

This has gone through so many people,that I doubt it's reliable, so be warned. And it's not specifically about a ROR trade, but I'm still posting it here. A poster on hf who supposedly ubered for a London Jr. Knights worker said that ROR told him on a golf course that he's shocked at how unorganized/unaccountable our entire franchise is, noting one example of no curfew leading to players being out until 6AM the night before the game in Vegas.

This could be complete nonsense but it feeds into an underlying worry that hasn't gone away since probably 2011. We're probably still a complete joke at every level, not just on the ice. 

The next coach we inevitably hire in the next year or two had better be dictatorial as far as I'm concerned 

This has gone through so many people,that I doubt it's reliable, so be warned. And it's not specifically about a ROR trade, but I'm still posting it here. A poster on hf who supposedly ubered for a London Jr. Knights worker said that ROR told him on a golf course that he's shocked at how unorganized/unaccountable our entire franchise is, noting one example of no curfew leading to players being out until 6AM the night before the game in Vegas.

This could be complete nonsense but it feeds into an underlying worry that hasn't gone away since probably 2011. We're probably still a complete joke at every level, not just on the ice.

The next coach we inevitably hire in the next year or two had better be dictatorial as far as I'm concerned

I know you appropriately warned us, but man, this is something else :lol:

Wasn't Bylsma alleged to be a complete dictator? And the players still rebelled?

Wasn't Bylsma alleged to be a complete dictator? And the players still rebelled?

I mean that with the assumption that the coach is actually good, and therefore isn't a joke in the players' eyes. 

I also don't think that things like curfews and personal accountability were high on Bylsma's list, since what we've heard is how un-personal he was and how little he actually interacted with individual players off the ice.

I mean that with the assumption that the coach is actually good, and therefore isn't a joke in the players' eyes. 

I also don't think that things like curfews and personal accountability were high on Bylsma's list, since what we've heard is how un-personal he was and how little he actually interacted with individual players off the ice.

My other question would be, how many coaches actually do things like curfews during the regular season? It strikes me as a very old school approach that might not be super common anymore, but I can't claim to have any actual clue.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.