Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

The full Dreger Quote

The message that I got specific to Ryan O’Reilly – it’s got to be the right return,” said Dreger. “I know that Buffalo has asked for the third pick overall from the Montreal Canadiens. Why wouldn’t you? Doesn’t mean you’re going to get it, but you’re certainly not going to get it if you don’t ask for it. Is Jason Botterill willing to soften off that? We’re going to find out.

“What we know is that when you move a piece like that, there’s some inherent risk with the inexperience that you have in your lineup. Are they absolutely certain that Casey Mittelstadt can handle that role as second line center. If you think that he can, and you get the deal for Ryan O’Reilly that makes sense, then you make that deal.

“But as of last night, it didn’t sound like it was very close.”

I would be completely fine heading into the next season with no major trades of skaters, provided:

-A good goalie has been added 

-Depth is truly bolstered through small trades and signings, so that there is zero dead weight and proper shelter of the young guys expecting to play

-One medium-tier UFA signing

And immediate evidence that Phil's usage isn't garbage once the season starts, when the excuse of a weak roster is taken away. 

That being said, I'm still fine with core shakeups. I would first look at Ristolainen. 

Risto is the least of our problems and is part of the long term solution.  Absolutely disagree with the idea of sending him away.  Why weaken the team in an area where we need strength...makes no sense to me.  This is not an addition by subtraction situation with Risto.  Others, absolutely....don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Another fun idea...

Three way trade..

Reinhart, Risto and #32 to Edmonton

Edmonton sends RNH and #10 to Montreal

Edmonton sends Klefbom and Montoya to Buffalo

Montreal sends #3 and Gallagher to Buffalo

How it shakes up for each team-

Montreal trades #3 and Gallagher for RNH and #10

Edmonton trades RNH, Klefbom, Montoya and #10 for Reinhart, Risto #32

Buffalo trades Reinhart, Risto and #32 for Gallagher, Klefbom, Montoya and #3

From Chad Demoncis

Also really quick I talked about it last night a little. From what I was told the main target for the #Sabres in a Hurricanes trade package is not Skinner or Hanifin. They’re very interested in Elias Lindholm.

I like that choice more than Hanifiin or Skinner 

Risto is the least of our problems and is part of the long term solution.  Absolutely disagree with the idea of sending him away.  Why weaken the team in an area where we need strength...makes no sense to me.  This is not an addition by subtraction situation with Risto.  Others, absolutely....don't let the door hit you on the way out.

If I was trading Risto, it would come with pursuing an avenue to fill the hole it opens up. I would start with him because the team is worse when he is on the ice than when he's off, and the same can't be said for ROR and Reinhart. My view is that this stems from his hockey sense. I believe his value around the league is higher than this value he brings to the ice, so I think he's the core player that would best stand to improve our team in a trade.

From Chad Demoncis

Also really quick I talked about it last night a little. From what I was told the main target for the #Sabres in a Hurricanes trade package is not Skinner or Hanifin. They’re very interested in Elias Lindholm.

Been a Lindholm fan since his draft year. Definitely the right age and also a guy we haven't seen the best of yet.

Carolina cheaping out on his contract too. Sets things up nicely for a July 1 deal, with Bean or Fleury as the other piece.

Lindholm is a better NHLer currently than Hanifin, is less flashy and less talented than Skinner, but younger with more team control. His ceiling is well below Hanifin's, too. 

I would like to acquire him. I don't know what we'd be trading. If it wasn't ROR or Reinhart, then Lindholm - ROR - Reinhart would be the most interesting line we've iced in a long, long time. He'd also be the best winger for Jack that we've ever given Jack. 

He's versatile, a good two-way guy and is a natural centre — believe he played there most of the second half of last year.

He also fits the Freeman profile if someone who isn't sexy, but we will come to appreciate down the road.

Edited by dudacek

He's versatile, a good two-way guy and is a natural centre — believe he played there most of the second half of last year.

He also fits the Freeman profile if someone who isn't sexy, but we will come to appreciate down the road.

I had honestly thought he had switched to wing full time. This is even better

If I was trading Risto, it would come with pursuing an avenue to fill the hole it opens up. I would start with him because the team is worse when he is on the ice than when he's off, and the same can't be said for ROR and Reinhart. My view is that this stems from his hockey sense. I believe his value around the league is higher than this value he brings to the ice, so I think he's the core player that would best stand to improve our team in a trade.

I think Risto brings a couple of attributes that we need.  He is still one of the more physical D-men and brings an edge to his game that our others are lacking.  Second, he brings offense to support the attack.  Granted his play declined last year and my own bias is that Hajt is not the right coach for him.  If there is an addition by subtraction situation, I am in the camp of those who believe a reduction in his playing time will result in better quality of play on his end. 

We keep trading our D-men talent wishing we could do a "re-do" and get them back (ex. McNabb, Myers, maybe even Zadorov and Pysyk) with very little in return.  Let's not contribute to this terrible trend and focus on "tweaks" to Risto's game that can make him indispensable.

I think Risto brings a couple of attributes that we need.  He is still one of the more physical D-men and brings an edge to his game that our others are lacking.  Second, he brings offense to support the attack.  Granted his play declined last year and my own bias is that Hajt is not the right coach for him.  If there is an addition by subtraction situation, I am in the camp of those who believe a reduction in his playing time will result in better quality of play on his end. 

We keep trading our D-men talent wishing we could do a "re-do" and get them back (ex. McNabb, Myers, maybe even Zadorov and Pysyk) with very little in return.  Let's not contribute to this terrible trend and focus on "tweaks" to Risto's game that can make him indispensable.

I agree that Risto stands to get better with better usage. I just don't believe in his ability to process the game at speed, which is why he's the first one I look to move. But I'm not hell-bent on trading him either, by any means.

Yup, keep Risto

All I can think about with regards to ROR is how much it has to suck to have your name being thrown around every other minute.

I know it's a business, but man it has to be bothersome.

Depends on what people in the organization are saying not what the media and fans are saying.

All I can think about with regards to ROR is how much it has to suck to have your name being thrown around every other minute.

I know it's a business, but man it has to be bothersome.

It's his fault, if he never made the comment about his loss of love for the game he probably not be thought of as a trade target. 

The only way we should even contemplate trading Ristolainen is if a better RHD is coming back in the trade. Maybe he looks overmatched at times because he plays 26+ minutes a night and he's usually the guy who gets put out there against the other team's best players.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.