Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

If Kessel were to choose Wardzynskis over Sahlens, I'd finally believe he's a locker room problem.

Guy who just moved here from Rochester asked me what hot dogs we eat here...Hoffmann's?

I directed him three blocks to the nearest Ted's.

Looking around for cap-strapped teams to trade with.

Jets have looming cap troubles.

Stastny, Morrisey, Trouba, Enstrom, Lowry, Armia and Hellebuyck this summer.

Wheeler, Myers, Connor, Copp and Laine next summer.

Steve Mason isn’t an upgrade on Lehner, but Im not sure if anyone on the market is.

Could we pry an asset from the Jets if we agreed to take on his contract (1 year, $4.1)

I heard on the radio, maybe Dan Dunleavy with the Instigators, that Ehlers maybe on the block.

Goaltending is a mess that won’t go away.

With the possible exception of Grubauer, the market seems to be all guys who aren’t upgrades to Lehner.

Do we really want to sacrifice pick 32 for Grubauer?

I’d probably trade a 2nd for him.

I call BS on that. No freaking way are they moving Ehlers.

There were concerns about him disappearing in the playoffs and with the number of contracts they to have extended was the reasoning.

That being said I doubt it happens either.

I’d probably trade a 2nd for him.

Third or a fourth and take Brooks Orpik as a one year salary dump

There were concerns about him disappearing in the playoffs and with the number of contracts they to have extended was the reasoning.

That being said I doubt it happens either.

Third or a fourth and take Brooks Orpik as a one year salary dump

The Jets had a bunch of wingers disappear in the third round. Scheifele was carrying them offensively.

Ya, I’d make that deal too. I quite like Grubauer.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nhl/articles/sabres_expected_to_buy_out_matt_moulson/s1_14825_26503565

Don't get why they would do that, unless they need the roster spot, but they only save about 1.3 mill and pay him 667k next year.

Guess its better than to keep him around, he has no chance in making the team anymore.

Edited by Huckleberry

With the Bills and Incognito's release and now the Sabres with Moulson (if true), the Pegula's appear to be making a public relations campaign to show a caring side.  Maybe they think even though the teams are not successful, at least they are a professional organization and are playing the loooooong game to attract players in the future.

Why would we do that? With him demoted we only save about 300k this year then have to pay next. That's just dumb.

The cost to the Sabres is negligible either way.

It’s what’s best for the player, resonates with agents, and frees up a contract.

Not seeing the dumbness.

EDIT: for those who didn’t click the link, the Boston Globe is reporting Moulson will be bought out in June

Edited by dudacek

It gives him the freedom to pursue whatever he'd like to do... which reflects well on the Sabres front office.

Maybe he should be good at hockey. I'm tired of being nice to players.

The cost to the Sabres is negligible either way.

It’s what’s best for the player, resonates with agents, and frees up a contract.

Not seeing the dumbness.

Will we need more cap space this year or next?

Don’t have any expensive contracts kicking in next year that I am aware of and the amount we’re talking is one minimum wage player. Edited by dudacek

That's why you are not in the Sabres front office.  That said, we are discussing what and why the Sabres are doing what they do.. not what you would do.  Your propensity for being nice is not really critical to determining why the Sabres would do something.

ROR for Ehlers and Mason...Sabres retain 50%?

No. That's what? 3.75mil of dead cap for 5 years? Ewww

That's why you are not in the Sabres front office. That said, we are discussing what and why the Sabres are doing what they do.. not what you would do. Your propensity for being nice is not really critical to determining why the Sabres would do something.

I'm not in the Sabres front office because I didn't play hockey at a high level or have a close connection anywhere I could network.

We literally waived Moulson. Any team could have taken him. We tried to trade him. We still could. I'm not buying him out because it's nice for him. That's ridiculous. Any gm who worries that much about 1 players feelings is hurting the other 20 guys on tne roster. Bury Moulson or trade him so after this year he's gone. Maybe it will send a message about not sucking and being on the team as opposed to this let's coddle every player and do what's best for them because then maybe 1 other player somewhere might come to Buffalo.

No. That's what? 3.75mil of dead cap for 5 years? Ewww

I'm not in the Sabres front office because I didn't play hockey at a high level or have a close connection anywhere I could network.

We literally waived Moulson. Any team could have taken him. We tried to trade him. We still could. I'm not buying him out because it's nice for him. That's ridiculous. Any gm who worries that much about 1 players feelings is hurting the other 20 guys on tne roster. Bury Moulson or trade him so after this year he's gone. Maybe it will send a message about not sucking and being on the team as opposed to this let's coddle every player and do what's best for them because then maybe 1 other player somewhere might come to Buffalo.

Your first point is true and while any team could have taken Moulson they would have had to take the salary, which he's not worth.  A team MIGHT have taken him if they could get him on their terms.  By buying him out and making him an UFA the Sabres are allowing him to choose any options that might come to him.

All that aside, you are missing my point.  The question was "Why would the Sabres buy him out?".  The answer is being given.  It makes no real difference if you agree with it or not.  The question was not "What is your opinion of the Sabres buying out Moulson?"  If it were, then your response would be germane to the discussion.  I understand your viewpoint.  I don't agree with it, but that's not relevant either.

The fact is, and it's been stated on here, it's been stated by talking heads, people in the business, and so on.  There is a value in treating a player "right".  Moulson is not the first to have received this treatment and he won't be the last.  It doesn't just happen in hockey and it's not isolated to sports either.  Doing right by people has value and shows what kind of person/organization you/they are.

Why hurt your team for the next couple of years to help out a player who can't play? I don't see the point in rewarding sub par play. You don't play well, you get buried in bus league hell. We ain't paying ya any longer than we absolutely have to. Players that want to sign here contingent on what happens to them once they can't play the game anymore when they still have 3 years left on their contract are the exact players that I really don't want. Holy run on sentence, Batman.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.