Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

We are very low on assets and pieces. This team needs to develop talent from within.

I disagree on this. Everyone always pushes developing from within and bringing up player to the roster. The Sabres have enough youth, what they need are some good veterans to fill out the roster. You cant build a team off of just youth and prospects.

I disagree on this. Everyone always pushes developing from within and bringing up player to the roster. The Sabres have enough youth, what they need are some good veterans to fill out the roster. You cant build a team off of just youth and prospects.

We can bring in vets but I am not trading assets to do that. We have few assets. 

Actually, I think you can and should. No more deadbeats at the end of their careers. If we are to win, the current crop must be the leaders (Jack and whoever else is still here). 

They said you couldn't build a team of cast offs and a good goalie and yet Vegas is in the cup. Speed and a good goalie is everything now. Speed and youth is what we should do while drafting goalies every year until we get the right one.

Sure, I'd take a speedy veteran or two with a good work ethic, but not for big money and everybody wants those so it's not worth pursuing too hard.

Sure you can. They just have to be good enough, and ours haven't been.

You and I might be the only two that are beating this drum.

Actually, I think you can and should. No more deadbeats at the end of their careers.

Noone is advocating bringing in players with nothing left in the tank.  The pool of players that can bring veteran leadership is not limited to guys on their last legs.

You and I might be the only two that are beating this drum.

Noone is advocating bringing in players with nothing left in the tank. The pool of players that can bring veteran leadership is not limited to guys on their last legs.

As long as I'm not trading assets for them sure.

I'm fine with a mix of veterans on short term deals and young guys, but it's time for some of the young guys to sink or swim. Guys like Baptiste and Bailey are forwards who were drafted 5 years ago now and the organization needs to find out if they have a future in the NHL or if they'll end up as permanent fixtures riding buses in the minors and only serve as call ups when there's a string of injuries.

Unless moved in an off season trade I expect both Bailey and Baptiste to be in Buffalo all year.  I think they need to be slotted on lines that fit their style of play.

Bailey- power forward with speed.  Has decent hands but is inconsistent at putting puck in net.  I would play him on the RW fourth line and PK.  If he gives you 10g -10a =20 points I would be happy.

Baptiste- I think he has great speed and hands and if given the opportunity could really produce in the NHL.  I would play him on the 2nd or 3rd line.  If given the opportunity I think he could be a 20 goal scorer.  Realistic goal for this year. 15g- 15a= 30 points.

Fasching- I believe he may be included in a trade this off season to give him a new environment and fresh start. Return won't be great just an extra piece included in trade.

Edited by sweetlou

It isn't realistic to project a player who has barely played in the NHL to score 15goals on a team that only had 5 players get 15 or more goals last year. That is a good hope and a goal but with how dysfunctional this team, not overly realistic. 

Edited by Skurk Liger

Unless moved in an off season trade I expect both Bailey and Baptiste to be in Buffalo all year.  I think they need to be slotted on lines that fit their style of play.

Bailey- power forward with speed.  Has decent hands but is inconsistent at putting puck in net.  I would play him on the RW fourth line and PK.  If he gives you 10g -10a =20 points I would be happy.

Baptiste- I think he has great speed and hands and if given the opportunity could really produce in the NHL.  I would play him on the 2nd or 3rd line.  If given the opportunity I think he could be a 20 goal scorer.  Realistic goal for this year. 15g- 15a= 30 points.

Fasching- I believe he may be included in a trade this off season to give him a new environment and fresh start. Return won't be great just an extra piece included in trade.

15/15/30 was the stat line for Girgensons during his "all star" season in which he spent much of the season on the top line. If Baptiste was capable of that, he wouldn't still be in the AHL. I think that's more of a best case scenario for him.

Edited by Alkoholist

Baptiste, IMO, has made the Sabres unless he shows up to camp fat and drunk.

Was a regular pretty much the last two months with stats that project to 10 goals with 4th-line ice time.

He’s waiver-eligible and provides the pace the team wants to add, with improving structure.

At worst he Is a cheap upgrade to the Nolans of the world, with some upside.

Baptiste, IMO, has made the Sabres unless he shows up to camp fat and drunk.

Was a regular pretty much the last two months with stats that project to 10 goals with 4th-line ice time.

He’s waiver-eligible and provides the pace the team wants to add, with improving structure.

At worst he Is a cheap upgrade to the Nolans of the world, with some upside.

Agreed.  If healthy, I think there's little doubt Baptiste will be in the opening lineup.

Would this line up be good enough?? Where else besides goaltender and LW do we need help??

LW- Eichel- Okposo

Mittelstadt- ROR- Reinhart

Wilson- ERod- Baptiste

LW- Larsson-  Bailey

Pressbox- Pommers, Girgensons

In Rochester- Olofsson, Malone, Nylander, O' Reagan

Juniors- Pu

Guhle- Risto

Scandella- Dahlin

McCabe- Bogo

Pressbox- Pilut, Nelson

Ullmark

???

Of course I think we will see at least one trade.  Who out there fills the needs the Sabres need??  UFA's or trade

Edited by sweetlou

Would this line up be good enough?? Where else besides goaltender and LW do we need help??

LW- Eichel- Okposo

Mittelstadt- ROR- Reinhart

Wilson- ERod- Baptiste

LW- Larsson-  Bailey

Pressbox- Pommers, Girgensons

In Rochester- Olofsson, Malone, Nylander, O' Reagan

Juniors- Pu

Guhle- Risto

Scandella- Dahlin

McCabe- Bogo

Pressbox- Pilut, Nelson

Ullmark

???

Of course I think we will see at least one trade.  Who out there fills the needs the Sabres need??  UFA's or trade

That is last years roster plus Middle and Darlin.

That is last years roster plus Middle and Darlin.

Slotting players that we have - where they should realistically be, should we hope to contend for the playoffs - to my mind looks something like:

Derp - Eichel - Derp

Smith - O’Reilly - Reinhart

Wilson - Mittelstadt - Okposo

Girgensons - Rodrigues - Baptiste

Scandella - Ristolainen

McCabe - Dahlin

Guhle - Bogosian

Ullmark

Derp

- - -

I’m stretching it with Smith, who is a fair bit of a question mark, and long term we’d want better wingers for Casey, but I think in a magical universe where we are able to add those three Derps to the roster, that team could fight for a playoff spot. At least I feel those guys currently listed are properly slotted (ok, Risto should be second pair, but we know he’s only a placeholder on the top pair till Dahlin is ready).

I think it’s reasonable likely Botterill can find a capable goaltender to share time with Ullmark. Even a LW for Eichel seems within the range of possibility with guys like Perron on the market. Finding two wingers to play on the top line this offseason seems very unlikely.

The good news is, those winger sports are a lot easier to fill than a top pair D spot (yay lottery), and there are internal candidates like Olofsson who could eventually fit the bill. In my dream roster, Davidsson grows into that roll too, I really like him as a prospect.

With Pilut (hopefully) and Nelson adding D depth, to go along with our very good centre depth, it’s really looking like LW is the BIGGEST area in need of attention.

Slotting players that we have - where they should realistically be, should we hope to contend for the playoffs - to my mind looks something like:

Derp - Eichel - Derp

Smith - O’Reilly - Reinhart

Wilson - Mittelstadt - Okposo

Girgensons - Rodrigues - Baptiste

Scandella - Ristolainen

McCabe - Dahlin

Guhle - Bogosian

Ullmark

Derp

- - -

I’m stretching it with Smith, who is a fair bit of a question mark, and long term we’d want better wingers for Casey, but I think in a magical universe where we are able to add those three Derps to the roster, that team could fight for a playoff spot. At least I feel those guys currently listed are properly slotted (ok, Risto should be second pair, but we know he’s only a placeholder on the top pair till Dahlin is ready).

I think it’s reasonable likely Botterill can find a capable goaltender to share time with Ullmark. Even a LW for Eichel seems within the range of possibility with guys like Perron on the market. Finding two wingers to play on the top line this offseason seems very unlikely.

The good news is, those winger sports are a lot easier to fill than a top pair D spot (yay lottery), and there are internal candidates like Olofsson who could eventually fit the bill. In my dream roster, Davidsson grows into that roll too, I really like him as a prospect.

With Pilut (hopefully) and Nelson adding D depth, to go along with our very good centre depth, it’s really looking like LW is the BIGGEST area in need of attention.

I would almost agree with you completely if not for goalie. That is an extremely week position for us in this scenario.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.