Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

Dreger was on the same station today in Montreal and mentioned he feels Buffalo is not in Tavares Top 4 Choices, but he does feel he is leaving the Island though

He claims Nashville (no cap space), Vegas, St. Louis, and San Jose. Seems like no one really knows (Tavares has been quiet throughout) and Dreger is just naming good Western teams that could use a boost.

I don't doubt you, but I'd be surprised if John Tavares cares about any of that stuff. 

Why wouldnt he care about those things?  He can get a ton of money from a bunch of teams so that's not an issue.  There are a lot of players that value where they will be living and where they raise their family more than the salary they are making.  Who knows what JT values the most.

I just want him to sign in buffalo to see the toronto media go apeshit over it.   

That would be worth it indeed

The more I think about it, the more I think it makes no sense whatsoever that he'd come to Buffalo. Maybe if this were mid-May 2020 and the Sabres were clearly getting things turned around (like, maybe they'd just made the playoffs and been eliminated in round 1). But the Sabres are the worst team in the league. Why would Tavares want to go to such a team?

I'd thought St. Louis myself, and saw Dreger mention it. But I have no idea whether he'd be a fit there, financially or otherwise.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Why wouldnt he care about those things?  He can get a ton of money from a bunch of teams so that's not an issue.  There are a lot of players that value where they will be living and where they raise their family more than the salary they are making.  Who knows what JT values the most.

I agree. As fans we only see these guys on the ice and assume winning the Cup and/or $$$ is all that matters. But, for many of these guys its about a nice place to raise a family as much as anything. Several years ago both Zach Parise and Ryan Suter chose Minnesota as free agents because of family reasons.

Evander Kane says it’s about money, a chance to win, and lifestyle.

I think that’s true for all players, but what some fans fail to understand is the players definition of each may vary from theirs.

Edited by dudacek

I think that’s true for all players, but what some fans fail to understand is the players definition of each may vary from theirs.

This! And sometimes it’s not only fans. A good recruiter needs to know what the subject of his attention desires and then tailor their sales pitch towards that.

You basically said what I said, just in different words.  ;)

Kane appears to prefer the big city partying lifestyle, Tavares appears to prefer a slower house in the suburbs family and dog sort of lifestyle. IMHO, Buffalo isn't a great fit for a guy like Kane. It could be a fit for a guy like Tavares (?).

Why wouldnt he care about those things? He can get a ton of money from a bunch of teams so that's not an issue. There are a lot of players that value where they will be living and where they raise their family more than the salary they are making. Who knows what JT values the most.

That would be worth it indeed

I love Buffalo for the same reasons, but the fact remains that it's regularly crapped on and avoided by players, and it'd be more safe to assume a random NHLer would feel that way than to assume they wouldn't. Especially a guy that just spent years in/near NYC.

I’d hate living in New York City.

I’d be out of there the first chance I got.

Same.  Why some people insist that certain cities are universally desirable while others are universally undesirable is beyond me.

I’d hate living in New York City.

I’d be out of there the first chance I got.

I've lived in 7 states in all four time zones. My last choice was essentially between NYC (Manhattan) and Los Angeles. Both great professional opportunities on paper... but at my age I wanted nothing to do with the traffic and pace of life that comes with those places, so I chose none of the above and ended up in a smaller, slower city... New Orleans!

I think JBot is definitely going to make a push for JT.  I think that is why they held off on giving Eichel the "C" as well.  If they bring in JT he becomes the captain and mentor for Eichel.  Something Buffalo was hoping ROR would be.  JT could sign for more with the Islanders but getting $11mil for seven years some where else might be enticing.  

I had never thought about how his uncle spent 20 years in Buffalo, but it could influence him.

ROR would have to be traded for a young quality winger.

My off season goal if I was GM of Buffalo.

Option 1-

Sign Tavares to 11 million over 7 years.

Sign Reinhart to bridge deal for 4.5 million for 3 years.

Sign Goalie Jonathan Bernier for 3.5million for 2 years.

Trade ROR and Bogo to Arizona for Max Domi and 2019 2nd rd pick.

Trade Girgensons, and 2019 2nd rd pick for JT Miller.

Line up-

Mittelstadt- Tavares- Okposo

Domi- Eichel- Reinhart

Wilson- JT Miller- Pomminstein

Baptiste- ERod- Bailey

Guhle- Risto

Scandella- Dahlin

McCabe- Nelson

Bernier

Ullmark

OR

Option 2-

Can't sign Tavares

Trade ROR, McCabe, and Baptiste to Edmonton for Draisaitl and Klefbom.

Trade Larsson and 2019 2nd rd pick to Washington for Grubauer.

Trade Girgensons, and 2018 4th rd pick for JT Miller.

Line up-

Mittelstadt- Eichel- Okposo
JT Miller- Draisaitl- Reinhart
Wilson- ERod- Pomminstein
CJ Smith- Malone- Bailey 

Scandella- Risto
Klefbom- Dahlin
Guhle- Nelson

Grubauer
Ullmark

I like your though but I don't think there's a hope in hell you're getting JT Miller for Girgs and a second. 

Over the last 3 years Miller has scored more than 20 goals each season.  He has more than 55 points in each of his last two years. 

Zemgus has a grand total of 7 goals each of the last 3 seasons and less than 20 points in each.  A second does not come close to pushing that deal over the edge IMO.  In the second scenario your only adding a 4th?  No way.

I think JBot is definitely going to make a push for JT.  I think that is why they held off on giving Eichel the "C" as well.  If they bring in JT he becomes the captain and mentor for Eichel.  Something Buffalo was hoping ROR would be.  JT could sign for more with the Islanders but getting $11mil for seven years some where else might be enticing.  

I had never thought about how his uncle spent 20 years in Buffalo, but it could influence him.

ROR would have to be traded for a young quality winger.

My off season goal if I was GM of Buffalo.

Option 1-

Sign Tavares to 11 million over 7 years.

Sign Goalie Jonathan Bernier for 3.5million for 2 years.

Trade ROR and Bogo to Arizona for Max Domi and 2019 2nd rd pick.

Trade Girgensons, and 2019 2nd rd pick for JT Miller.

Line up-

Mittelstadt- Tavares- Okposo

Domi- Eichel- Reinhart

Wilson- JT Miller- Pomminstein

Baptiste- ERod- Bailey

Guhle- Risto

Scandella- Dahlin

McCabe- Nelson

Bernier

Ullmark

OR

Option 2-

Can't sign Tavares

Trade ROR, McCabe, and Baptiste to Edmonton for Draisaitl and Klefbom.

Trade Larsson and 2019 2nd rd pick to Washington for Grubauer.

Trade Girgensons, and 2018 4th rd pick for JT Miller.

Line up-

Mittelstadt- Eichel- Okposo
JT Miller- Draisaitl- Reinhart
Wilson- ERod- Pomminstein
CJ Smith- Malone- Bailey 

Scandella- Risto
Klefbom- Dahlin
Guhle- Nelson

Grubauer
Ullmark

Girgensons, Larsson, and Bogo have little to no trade value at all, I doubt they can be used in any trade scenario.  Finding fringe bottom 6 players isn't too difficult, those teams are better off just grooming their own draft picks for bottom 6 roles as opposed to giving up better assets to trade for them.

Draisaitl is an interesting case, is he really that good, or is he benefiting from having McDavid around? Could be he as successful here as in Edmonton?  i was hoping for him that year instead of Reinhart

I like your though but I don't think there's a hope in hell you're getting JT Miller for Girgs and a second. 

Over the last 3 years Miller has scored more than 20 goals each season.  He has more than 55 points in each of his last two years. 

Zemgus has a grand total of 7 goals each of the last 3 seasons and less than 20 points in each.  A second does not come close to pushing that deal over the edge IMO.  In the second scenario your only adding a 4th?  No way.

Tampa will have to shed salary in the way of losing an RFA they can't resign or trading a player.

They have RFA's Kucherov and Point after next year and UFA Gourde all to sign.  If they do extend JT Miller they will be very hard pressed to sign all three of these guys next year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.