Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

Who needs a top 10 player in franchise history at no asset cost?

In their defense the last time they gave a 28 year old a long term contract for big money it didn't work out so well and now they're likely stuck with him.

I'd prefer to stick with the youth movement and only give older/veteran players short term deals.

Who needs a top 10 player in franchise history at no asset cost?

I assume you mean JT would be a top 10 in Sabres history if acquired. If it’s true that “we” aren’t interested is because they aren’t taking Jbot’s calls.

Tampa will have to shed salary in the way of losing an RFA they can't resign or trading a player.

They have RFA's Kucherov and Point after next year and UFA Gourde all to sign. If they do extend JT Miller they will be very hard pressed to sign all three of these guys next year.

I thought that also, but if the cap goes to 80 mill they have zero issues. They are set in goal and on D. That leaves about 12 mill to sign 3-4 forwards including Miller. The following year they have to sign Point, Gourde and Kucherov, but all 4 older big $ D come off the books. They will funnel most of that money to keeping those three, but also expect a trade of Killorn for a D or something like that. If he needs more room he’ll buy out the last year of Callahan’s deal. Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Faulk is only 26? (had to look it up)   ....I'll take him on my team!

He's not the same player from two to three seasons ago.  Honestly, if that's all you can get out of Carolina in an offer for O'Reilly or anyone of substance, I'm moving on happily.  He's a Yandle with less two way game.  Yes, Yandle is a solid defensemen, but would you honestly give up something critical on this team for that.  The easy answer is no. 

Draisaitl might be the most over paid player in the league (ok there are better examples).  But $8.5 mil per for the next 100 years for a nice player who's stats were inflated playing with McDavid?  No thanks.

True. He got his pay for one good playoff run where he looked like the real deal (and a post season performer).  Chiarelli screwed up the cap in Boston and was fired for it. He's done the same thing in Edmonton, their cap is a disaster.

I hope we don't throw money at Reinhart for one half season's play. He has to show a full season imo.  

Draisaitl might be the most over paid player in the league (ok there are better examples).  But $8.5 mil per for the next 100 years for a nice player who's stats were inflated playing with McDavid?  No thanks.

watch the highlights...McDavid had some pretty passes to set up Draisaitl, but he created on his own and set up McDavid for just as many.  Also last year he didn't play with Mcavid and still put up big numbers.

watch the highlights...McDavid had some pretty passes to set up Draisaitl, but he created on his own and set up McDavid for just as many.  Also last year he didn't play with Mcavid and still put up big numbers.

You know, if you had used this kind of defense for a Sabres player you'd be told something about "blah blah blah, results." or "they didn't make the playoffs" or something similar.  I believe the Sabres have an $8.5m player who put up nearly the same numbers for his team and no one is convinced he's worth it.

You know, if you had used this kind of defense for a Sabres player you'd be told something about "blah blah blah, results." or "they didn't make the playoffs" or something similar. I believe the Sabres have an $8.5m player who put up nearly the same numbers for his team and no one is convinced he's worth it.

We didn't have that. Draisaitl was lethal 5v5

We didn't have that. Draisaitl was lethal 5v5

He had 70 points.  ROR had 61 on a decidedly worse team.  I'll stick with the comparison.

Draisaitl hasn't produced results there. Draisaitl participated in 30% of his teams scoring.  ROR participated in 31%.

In the end Edmonton ended up 23rd in the league. 

Honestly it's not that big of a deal, but I think the basic premise stands.  If we think ROR is movable from this team because he's not that important then you pretty much have to think the same thing about another player who makes similar money and participates similarly in the success of his team.

He had 70 points. ROR had 61 on a decidedly worse team. I'll stick with the comparison.

Draisaitl hasn't produced results there. Draisaitl participated in 30% of his teams scoring. ROR participated in 31%.

In the end Edmonton ended up 23rd in the league.

Honestly it's not that big of a deal, but I think the basic premise stands. If we think ROR is movable from this team because he's not that important then you pretty much have to think the same thing about another player who makes similar money and participates similarly in the success of his team.

You ignored my premise. Compare them 5v5.

I like ROR, but Draisaitl has a great season.

I like ROR, but Draisaitl has a great season.

I didn't ignore it.  My point is that when we evaluate ROR people ignore everything and just say, he gets paid $8.5M and this team is in last place.  So don't tell me about stats.  You are telling me about stats for another player, why shouldn't the same criteria apply?  His team finished 23rd and he was even less important to his team than ROR was (marginally).  But we're on here trotting out stats and saying he's not overpaid while simultaneously looking at ROR and saying he's worthless because the team didn't perform.  I'm calling out the double standard.  If you reverse Draisaitl and ROR we'd be calling for Draisaitl to get shipped out because he's getting paid $8.5M and not producing and we'd defend ROR talking about his face-off wins.

https://twitter.com/pham1717/status/998239582876467200?s=19

ROR with the whoa is me stuff again. I like the guy but maybe he needs a change of scenery for mental health sake.

I don't suspect his mental health is going to change.  He's not happy with him game.  He apparently has a high standard for himself.  I see nothing wrong with that.  If more people could brutally honest with themselves it would be a nice change of pace.  I see, in ROR, a guy who makes no excuses.  His mentality seems to me that "things might be bad, and others probably could improve, but I'm responsible for me and what I do and regardless I need to be better."

He could provide generic answers to everything... it would at least keep people from questioning his mental health.

I didn't ignore it. My point is that when we evaluate ROR people ignore everything and just say, he gets paid $8.5M and this team is in last place. So don't tell me about stats. You are telling me about stats for another player, why shouldn't the same criteria apply? His team finished 23rd and he was even less important to his team than ROR was (marginally). But we're on here trotting out stats and saying he's not overpaid while simultaneously looking at ROR and saying he's worthless because the team didn't perform. I'm calling out the double standard. If you reverse Draisaitl and ROR we'd be calling for Draisaitl to get shipped out because he's getting paid $8.5M and not producing and we'd defend ROR talking about his face-off wins.

I don't suspect his mental health is going to change. He's not happy with him game. He apparently has a high standard for himself. I see nothing wrong with that. If more people could brutally honest with themselves it would be a nice change of pace. I see, in ROR, a guy who makes no excuses. His mentality seems to me that "things might be bad, and others probably could improve, but I'm responsible for me and what I do and regardless I need to be better."

He could provide generic answers to everything... it would at least keep people from questioning his mental health.

Lol, everyone is ignoring what he did? No they aren't. I said I like ROR. Draisaitl was better last year. ROR is good and since idc about salary, him making 8.5 mil means nothing. He was 7.5 against the cap and produced at that level.

Also I never said ROR was worthless. One person questioned his salary and you've now extended that to "everyone". Stop over generalizing and putting words in others mouths. Half the board or more is fine with ROR production last year.

Draisaitl played easier minutes but was better 5v5. You are the one who's making this argument that there's some double standard. So back off.

Edited by Skurk Liger

Lol, everyone is ignoring what he did? No they aren't. I said I like ROR. Draisaitl was better last year. ROR is good and since idc about salary, him making 8.5 mil means nothing. He was 7.5 against the cap and produced at that level.

Also I never said ROR was worthless. One person questioned his salary and you've now extended that to "everyone". Stop over generalizing and putting words in others mouths. Half the board or more is fine with ROR production last year.

Draisaitl played easier minutes but was better 5v5. You are the one who's making this argument that there's some double standard. So back off.

In an effort to appease you I will now specifically name every person rather than speak generically about something. If I gave that much of damn, which I don't, I'd go into the ROR threads and pull quotes from people.  But it really isn't worth the time or effort to do so.

We can all pretend like it doesn't happen.  It's fine by me.

Again, ROR is the second best player on our team. My opinion. Whether he is traded or not depends on the return. Personally I doubt if there is a return that makes me want to trade him. I believe the problem with our team,is depth not the "core" and as the "team"is developed around our core then we'll see results. Don't know about locker room issues anymore than the rest of us so I'll trust coach and management to sort that out.

Again, ROR is the second best player on our team. My opinion. Whether he is traded or not depends on the return. Personally I doubt if there is a return that makes me want to trade him. I believe the problem with our team,is depth not the "core" and as the "team"is developed around our core then we'll see results. Don't know about locker room issues anymore than the rest of us so I'll trust coach and management to sort that out.

Seems reasonable

I think he's our second best player as well. 60 point center, one of the top few faceoff guys in the league, probably our best penalty killing forward... guys like O'Reilly have a ton of value in the league. IMHO, were we to land a guy like Tavares (which history tells me will never happen) then O'Reilly is tradeable. Otherwise, he stays.

Just watched this. Pretty funny and Vancouver certainly looks great.

I wanted to really like it. And in parts I did like it (I thought the scene at the cafe where he meets Sam was well done). I just thought it fell a little flat. Not so flat that I was like "this guy needs to pack it in - this is awful" -- but flat as in, maybe he needs to bring on another writer to sharpen the material and get it to hang together a bit better.

More than anything, that's what I look to in order to get a sense of whether and to what extent a player is valuable.

Again, ROR is the second best player on our team. My opinion. Whether he is traded or not depends on the return. Personally I doubt if there is a return that makes me want to trade him. 

This is about right, and presents us with "the rub."

It might also prove tricky to have your 2nd best player be such an emo guy.

Edited by That Aud Smell

My point with the ROR for Draisaitl trade was that they are similar players. Edmonton may want the experience of an older player while Buffalo is trying to build a nucleus of younger players.

Plus no one takes the blame for losses better than ROR.

I would look to Calgary and try to get Hamilton for Sam (plus from both sides), if they want ROR I still negotiate. You can never have too much good defence, you keep Risto

Use FA and some other assetts/pieces for some goaltending and solidifying the offence

Problem with this is that we have trouble landing assets and pieces that will actually make a difference.

I would look to Calgary and try to get Hamilton for Sam (plus from both sides), if they want ROR I still negotiate. You can never have too much good defence, you keep Risto

Use FA and some other assetts/pieces for some goaltending and solidifying the offence

We are very low on assets and pieces. This team needs to develop talent from within. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.