Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

So with the new gambling rules will they have an over/under on the number of players that don't stand?

Now *that* would be tasteless.  And how would we know whether players are being paid to kneel or to stand?  It's not like throwing a game--the league has no interest in regulating this.

Edited by Eleven

If that's how you want to be, then you're part of the problem. Excusing bad behavior by businesses "because capitalism" is hugely problematic. 

It's bad behavior by business to utilize endorsements? What exactly is the NFL doing wrong here? You're mad we're a military-industrialist complex. How in the world is that the NFL's fault or problem

Here's the NFL's official policy statement:

https://nflcommunications.com/Pages/Statement-From-NFL-Commissioner-Roger-Goodell----.aspx

Note that it will fine teams, not players, thereby circumventing the CBA (or at least trying to).

Also, I do not believe "league personnel" as used in the last item includes players. I believe "team personnel," used in the first item, covers them.

It's bad behavior by business to utilize endorsements? What exactly is the NFL doing wrong here? You're mad we're a military-industrialist complex. How in the world is that the NFL's fault or problem

It's a moral question and it would be nice if the NFL were as good on this stuff as the NBA is. Adam Silver has proven that it's not hard for an entire sports league to have a modicum of conscience.

I'm perfectly justified in being mad that the NFL is predictably incapable of taking a leadership position in this country on something that is important to the very fabric of our society. 

The NFL doesn't need to be a party to the military industrial complex and all the accompanying jingoism. It is actively choosing to. 

It's a moral question and it would be nice if the NFL were as good on this stuff as the NBA is. Adam Silver has proven that it's not hard for an entire sports league to have a modicum of conscience.

I'm perfectly justified in being mad that the NFL is predictably incapable of taking a leadership position in this country on something that is important to the very fabric of our society. 

The NFL doesn't need to be a party to the military industrial complex and all the accompanying jingoism. It is actively choosing to. 

Pretty sure the NBA does the same stuff, just with a smile on its face. 

In the same sense you don't need to be part of an audience that supports a business that supports the military industrial complex. You are choosing to. Short of not participating in that audience, you can try to change it politically. In reality, how far will that get you? Not very. But those, to me, are your options.

Pretty sure the NBA does the same stuff, just with a smile on its face.

In the same sense you don't need to be part of an audience that supports a business that supports the military industrial complex. You are choosing to. Short of not participating in that audience, you can try to change it politically. In reality, how far will that get you? Not very. But those, to me, are your options.

This has nothing to do with my choices. This is about the NFL and its choices.

Quick takes:

I do dislike Incognito, but it sounds like he's having (more) serious issues. I hope he gets the help he needs. He seemed quite erratic this off-season. And for all the flack I give him, fact is he helped end the drought.

With regard to the NFL looking to stifle controversy: It ain't about politics. It's about money, honey. Ask our man at Deep South Taco how it went when he went all in on being a proud quasi-alt-right-er. Some of his stores are still doing well. Others, not so much. The NFL wants as much of everyone's money as they can get. So they don't want controversy. Plain and simp (the system's a pimp, and I refuse to be a hoe!).

Quick takes:

I do dislike Incognito, but it sounds like he's having (more) serious issues. I hope he gets the help he needs. He seemed quite erratic this off-season. And for all the flack I give him, fact is he helped end the drought.

With regard to the NFL looking to stifle controversy: It ain't about politics. It's about money, honey. Ask our man at Deep South Taco how it went when he went all in on being a proud quasi-alt-right-er. Some of his stores are still doing well. Others, not so much. The NFL wants as much of everyone's money as they can get. So they don't want controversy. Plain and simp (the system's a pimp, and I refuse to be a hoe!).

Hertel seems as busy as always and downtown seems as empty as always (unless there's a game).  Has there really been a difference?

Hertel seems as busy as always and downtown seems as empty as always (unless there's a game).  Has there really been a difference?

My eyes on the street say "yes."

For my own part, I've been to Hertel on 4 Fridays. 2 were pre-kerfuffle. 2 were post-kerfuffle. The crowds varied significantly (with the latter visits yielding us a table within minutes).

Additionally, he's more recently been dabbling in Groupon type stuff and other get-people-in-the-door promotions.

I think there was a fallout. At some stores. I don't think the one in East Amherst was affected at all, for example.

Here's something very positive (IMHO) from new team president Kim P.:  a new stadium is far from a sure thing -- http://buffalonews.com/2018/05/23/kim-pegula-orchard-park-new-era-field-bills-stadium/?utm_campaign=puma&utm_medium=social&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1527106286

“I don’t even know if we can get there,” the team’s co-owner told The Buffalo News while attending the NFL spring meeting. “I know fans in Buffalo don’t want higher ticket prices, they don’t want PSLs. The state doesn’t want to give you any money, the city doesn’t ... We don’t have a billion-and-a-half dollars sitting around. We used it to buy the team.”

I hope they stay in the Ralph forever.

If the PA really wants to fight back they'll just organize and have one player on each team kneel, offsetting the penalties.

Roger Neilson approves.

Here's something very positive (IMHO) from new team president Kim P.:  a new stadium is far from a sure thing -- http://buffalonews.com/2018/05/23/kim-pegula-orchard-park-new-era-field-bills-stadium/?utm_campaign=puma&utm_medium=social&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1527106286

I hope they stay in the Ralph forever.

The Pegulas are "house-poor"?

Ask our man at Deep South Taco how it went when he went all in on being a proud quasi-alt-right-er. Some of his stores are still doing well. Others, not so much.

For the benefit of the rubes in the room, could you re-state this in English?

For the benefit of the rubes in the room, could you re-state this in English?

Sorry - didn’t mean to be opaque.

Hip, hot local restaurateur went public with his politics, in a pretty big (and unprovoked) way. My take is that he alienated a lot of people who now choose to get tacos and margaritas from other purveyors.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.