Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

I started reading this link but had to stop myself. I hate when they try to use made up/adjusted stats to excuse crummy production. Sure, let's remove all the drops, throw-aways, and snaps where he faced pressure. Holy cow that brings his completion percentage up from 55% to 67%! If they did that for the other drafted quarterbacks I bet their percentages would go from 65% to 75 or even 80% so his accuracy still sucks compared to his peers.

It's not like our offensive line is some juggernaut that's going to insulate him from pressure either. He's gonna face plenty of hurried throws in the NFL if he ever gets past the clipboard holding stage.

I started reading this link but had to stop myself. I hate when they try to use made up/adjusted stats to excuse crummy production. Sure, let's remove all the drops, throw-aways, and snaps where he faced pressure. Holy cow that brings his completion percentage up from 55% to 67%! If they did that for the other drafted quarterbacks I bet their percentages would go from 65% to 75 or even 80% so his accuracy still sucks compared to his peers.

It's not like our offensive line is some juggernaut that's going to insulate him from pressure either. He's gonna face plenty of hurried throws in the NFL if he ever gets past the clipboard holding stage.

As a resident Allen critic, I've now watched, I think, every throw from his 2017 NCAA season. 

More often than not he had two defenders ready to tackle him before the ball finished being snapped into his hands. 

He will never, for the rest of his life, play behind a line as bad as Wyoming's was. I've never seen an NFL offensive line as inept as that one. 

I'm with you on the usefulness of doctoring those numbers, but I went from absolutely hating everything about the Allen pick to more optimistic because when he did have time to throw, his mechanics and accuracy were as good as you could hope for, and he was adequate in climbing the pocket. And his footwork has notably improved in the last year, the source for his inaccuracy (unlike a guy like EJ, who was just inaccurate regardless of how much work he would put in his throwing motion/footwork). 

Provided he sits this season, I'm now hopeful for Josh.

As a resident Allen critic, I've now watched, I think, every throw from his 2017 NCAA season. 

More often than not he had two defenders ready to tackle him before the ball finished being snapped into his hands. 

He will never, for the rest of his life, play behind a line as bad as Wyoming's was. I've never seen an NFL offensive line as inept as that one. 

I'm with you on the usefulness of doctoring those numbers, but I went from absolutely hating everything about the Allen pick to more optimistic because when he did have time to throw, his mechanics and accuracy were as good as you could hope for, and he was adequate in climbing the pocket. And his footwork has notably improved in the last year, the source for his inaccuracy (unlike a guy like EJ, who was just inaccurate regardless of how much work he would put in his throwing motion/footwork). 

So, basically, as long as they don't let McCarron w/in 15' of a rubber mat, Allen may be ok. ;)

I'm glad you have been persuaded. I, on the other hand, continue to be of the opinion taking him over Rosen will cost the entire regime employment in two years.

I'm glad you have been persuaded. I, on the other hand, continue to be of the opinion taking him over Rosen will cost the entire regime employment in two years.

Good. I'm sick of this regime talking about Buffalo weather like it really matters 15 games out of the year. I'm pissed no Buffalo reporter has the brain or balls to call them out for such .

Wow. You seem to have done a complete 180 on Allen. I wish I had your optimism and I hope you're right about him.

I probably would have stayed at 12 and taken Rosen if he was still on the board. Then again I would've kept Taylor too so I wouldn't have been up against the wall the way Buffalo was. After ditching Taylor they pretty much had to move up and draft their QB though. I'd trade up too if I found myself staring down a depth chart with just AJ McCarron and Nathan Peterman on it.

Edited by Alkoholist

Wow. You seem to have done a complete 180 on Allen. I wish I had your optimism and I hope you're right about him.

I probably would have stayed at 12 and taken Rosen if he was still on the board. Then again I would've kept Taylor too so I wouldn't have been up against the wall the way Buffalo was. After ditching Taylor they pretty much had to move up and draft their QB though. I'd trade up too if I found myself staring down a depth chart with just AJ McCarron and Nathan Peterman on it.

I still prefer Rosen, Darnold, and Mayfield, but I basically think that Allen is workable because what I view as his flaws are far more correctable than other flaws and he's already shown signs of improving them and definitely of being aware of them. So instead of being "dear god the bills just ruined the next 5 years" I'm now "you guys had better do everything you possibly can to get this to work out, and if you do I think it's possible that it does"

Good. I'm sick of this regime talking about Buffalo weather like it really ###### matters 15 games out of the year. I'm pissed no Buffalo reporter has the brain or balls to call them out for such ######.

They do, just not during Press Conferences

I think they will get two attempts to find their Franchise QB. Daboll and Culley will be the fall guys if/when Allen craps the bed. To be honest I’m skeptical of their ability to develop Allen.

I hope I’m wrong on the three of them though.

Edited by Brawndo

I still prefer Rosen, Darnold, and Mayfield, but I basically think that Allen is workable because what I view as his flaws are far more correctable than other flaws and he's already shown signs of improving them and definitely of being aware of them. So instead of being "dear god the bills just ruined the next 5 years" I'm now "you guys had better do everything you possibly can to get this to work out, and if you do I think it's possible that it does"

I just really don't think his particular flaws are coachable; the accuracy is only one of those things. The other is his ability to process the game, particularly in the face of pressure. 

They do, just not during Press Conferences

I think they will get two attempts to find their Franchise QB. Daboll and Culley will be the fall guys if/when Allen craps the bed. To be honest I’m skeptical of their ability to develop Allen.

I hope I’m wrong on the three of them though.

Maybe. I've said it before, but I genuinely feel this way: you can miss on a QB and you can trade up for a QB, but if you trade up for a miss, you're probably getting fired. Especially when you have passed on Watson, Mahomes, and Rosen, in the process (no pun intended). This was their plan, they literally spent two years executing it, and the guy they picked has all kinds of question marks. I don't think they get a second kick at the can.

I just really don't think his particular flaws are coachable; the accuracy is only one of those things. The other is his ability to process the game, particularly in the face of pressure. 

The accuracy seems there to me though, provided he isn't sprinting away from the five defensive linemen instantly in his face. That's what changed my mind. The completion percentage was low because he was doing that every play. 

If they work with his feet some more, I really think accuracy will probably be checked off the list of problems. Maybe not a strength, but still. 

I need to see what he can do with a real line and with WRs that can get open. Because the other thing that opened my eyes on every snap was that his WRs were open roughly 3 times all fall. I'm not claiming he will be great, but I did see progressions and I did see positive decision-making, and again, all of the problems were largely coalesced during the plays which happened 60% of the time with his offensive line, but will happen maybe 5% of the time in the NFL, that is, literally looking like there is no line in front of him whatsoever

The accuracy seems there to me though, provided he isn't sprinting away from the five defensive linemen instantly in his face. That's what changed my mind. The completion percentage was low because he was doing that every play. 

If they work with his feet some more, I really think accuracy will probably be checked off the list of problems. Maybe not a strength, but still. 

I need to see what he can do with a real line and with WRs that can get open. Because the other thing that opened my eyes on every snap was that his WRs were open roughly 3 times all fall. I'm not claiming he will be great, but I did see progressions and I did see positive decision-making, and again, all of the problems were largely coalesced during the plays which happened 60% of the time with his offensive line, but will happen maybe 5% of the time in the NFL, that is, literally looking like there is no line in front of him whatsoever

You have officially fallen into the same trap scouts did. Congrats :p

Seriously, I hope you're right. But it's not like his competition was stiff, and he couldn't elevate the play of his team...which isn't that what we're all hoping who we drafted this year does? We didn't spend a year passing on other viable QBs and spending valuable draft capital to get a guy who is alright when everything else is okay.

What I see is a guy with a quick release, strong arm who needs to lighten up on his short passes and not get happy feet in the pocket. He needs to slide step better. He intermediate and deep balls were very accurate and he can throw guys open if they have the hands to catch... Zay Jones needs to improve. Allen may need some time and good coaching. Remember he really has only been coached decently for two years in div 1. Hope his learning curve is fast... seems very coachable... dreaded word potential is there... but I think he will impress.

Edited by North Buffalo

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.