Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Yes, but it would've cost them something like $18MM - $20MM for them to keep TT.

That just makes them greedy, white Christian men.  Of course you knew that without it being spelt out for ye. ?

Edited by ...

40 minutes ago, darksabre said:

So what do we think the team does if Allen is out for any considerable time? Gotta think trading Shady becomes much more reasonable since winning with our other QB's is terribly unlikely. 

I'd like to say it'll be interesting to see what comes of this. But, on further reflection, not so interesting.

35 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Exploit is another strong term. I think Nate understands that the current owner and coach combo makes freedom of religious expression very robust in that lockerroom. I think he also understands, maybe even subconsciously, that making statements like he did will only help his cause. I don't think he goes home at night and plots his survival like Frank Underwood.

Meh. If I understand you, I think you've got the cart before the horse. Seems as though Peterman was brought here, in some part, because he sincerely holds those beliefs; not that he is managing to stick around for having adopted them (or more forcefully incorporated them).

35 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

"Peterman, McCarron, and Allen is a good QB group to roll with, and the preseason made it okay to start Peterman, and even if bombs so hard he can't complete a game, we won't look for an alternative backup for an entire month"....is a sign of gross incompetence. 

Yep. And, as of late July or whatever, I was firmly of a mind that they were going to be able to manufacture about the same production out of the QB position by relying on McCarron.

30 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I don't think they're dim enough to mistake Kelvin Benjamin for Julio Jones, but I don't think it's crazy to think they thought he was at least a serviceable #1 option.

Incredible.

29 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It's interesting how often religion seems to appear around this team, both the players and the coach. 

Image result for hmmm gif

23 minutes ago, ... said:

There is when you are casting judgement, this stuff wouldn't be a conversation if it weren't the basis of judgement.  Is it "right" or is it "wrong".  That's pretty binary.

I don't follow.

21 minutes ago, ... said:

That just makes them greedy, white Christian men.  Of course you knew that without it being spelt out for ye. ?

Image result for scully eye roll gif

Edited by That Aud Smell

1 hour ago, Neo said:

I was referring to Flagg being on the receiving end of a vitriolic post ...   there goes the mud.   LTS, would you send me that playbook?

Once the author is done writing his narrative and sends it to me I will be sure to forward it on. 

Like the Sabres failing to draft defense for years under DR and TM, the Bills suck because of their mediocre at best drafting

1) After drafting CJ Spiller 1st in 2010, in he 8 drafts since the Bills have only drafted 3 RBs; all in the 5th rd.  During the same period they have drafted 9 wideouts, including 5 in the first 3 rounds; 4th overall Watkins in 2014, Zay Jones 37th In 2017, Woods 41st In in 2013, Goodwin 78th In 2013 and the great  TJ Graham 69th In 2012.  Oh yeah the Wideout group stills stinks as well.  Only Jones remains with the Bills.

2) OL Depth never properly addressed.  From 2010 forward the Bills have made 28 picks in the first 3 rds.   Including 5 Lbs, 4 Dts, 4 DBs , 2 QBs (both 1st rd picks), 1 RB (spiller) and 2 DEs.  They have used 4 picks, (no 1sts) on 3 guards, 1 Tackle and no centers. On the plus side 3rd pick Miller and 2 rd pick Dawkins are starters for us, but Glenn was traded away and the great Cyrus Kouandjio spent 4 years as a backup here and is now with Denver.  We have used 5 other late rd picks on linemen over the last 9 years and none made any impact. 

Bottomline is that without a good line and running game, no NFL team will win consistently, yet these are the two areas that the Bills have neglected for nearly a decade.  

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You shouldn't be drafting running backs in the first round anyways. You can get quality rb production from lesser backs especially if your line is good. I agree about the Good Line part and see the Bills as having neglected that position for years. 

While u can get decent work from lesser backs, you still have to draft some.  4 RBs drafted in 10 years and only one above the 5th rd.  Given me a break.  You need talented players. Spend a 2nd or 3rd a few RBs.  You might actually find a player or 2. Also your theory on RBs is wrong.  The 9 of the top 10 rushers were drafted in the top 3 rds; 6 in the 1st, 1 in the 2nd and 2 in the 3rd.

14 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

While u can get decent work from lesser backs, you still have to draft some.  4 RBs drafted in 10 years and only one above the 5th rd.  Given me a break.  You need talented players. Spend a 2nd or 3rd a few RBs.  You might actually find a player or 2. Also your theory on RBs is wrong.  The 9 of the top 10 rushers were drafted in the top 3 rds; 6 in the 1st, 1 in the 2nd and 2 in the 3rd.

Between Spiller and Shady, has there really been a need to draft a bunch of backs? Who was the guy before Spiller? I remember thinking during the Spiller pick that they already had a RB and needed so many other things.

22 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It isn't wrong. I said "you should not be drafting running backs in the first round". You proved my point. 6 of the top 10 RB's are from the first, which means you got almost a 50% chance of getting a good back later. Also it depends, if you are drafting 10th overall and Todd Gurley is there, yea go get him. If you are drafting Rashaad Penny in the first, think again. I have no problem using a 2nd or 3rd on a RB. We should look at WOR though for those RB's.  Bell hasn't played at all and yet his team has seen basically no drop off with him gone. Granted Bell was a 2nd round pick but, it does beg the question in todays NFL how valuable is the RB. 

9 minutes ago, MattPie said:

Between Spiller and Shady, has there really been a need to draft a bunch of backs? Who was the guy before Spiller? I remember thinking during the Spiller pick that they already had a RB and needed so many other things.

RB's aren't good behind bad lines. Look at Todd Gurley's first year for the Rams. 

46 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It isn't wrong. I said "you should not be drafting running backs in the first round". You proved my point. 6 of the top 10 RB's are from the first, which means you got almost a 50% chance of getting a good back later. Also it depends, if you are drafting 10th overall and Todd Gurley is there, yea go get him. If you are drafting Rashaad Penny in the first, think again. I have no problem using a 2nd or 3rd on a RB. We should look at WOR though for those RB's.  Bell hasn't played at all and yet his team has seen basically no drop off with him gone. Granted Bell was a 2nd round pick but, it does beg the question in todays NFL how valuable is the RB. 

RB's aren't good behind bad lines. Look at Todd Gurley's first year for the Rams. 

Actually it was Todd’s 2nd year w the Rams.

Conner, who has replaced Bell was a 3rd rd pick; which proves my point.  You have to have organizational depth.  Having Shady and Spiller (Lynch was the guy before Spiller) is great but who have we had behind them that was an actual football player?  Fred Jackson, who was a great find and class act, but who since he retired in 2014?  

I agree on the O Line.  You need at least 8 solid players and we have 2.  

3 minutes ago, MattPie said:

Can we say RB is like the 3rd line Wing that can chip in goals? Incredibly useful, every team needs them, but you can always find one when you need a replacement.

No. They aren’t as replaceble.  You need good ones.  Go look at all the contending teams and look who is running the ball.  Go look at the top 10 runners.  If fact two of this year’s top 10 YTD are 1st rd picks from this year.  Barkley and 31st overall to the Pats, Sony Michel.  All Sony has done lately is pace the Pats to 3 straight wins, rushing for 112, 98 and 106 respectively. If you want a hockey equivalent I’d say a top 2 D.  Most are 1st rd picks, but many are 2nd and 3rd rd picks.  

Liger, I always said top 3 rounds and the evidence clearly shows the 60% of he top rushers are 1st rd picks with 30% from the 2nd or 3rd and 10% other. 

Regardless, we never drafted any depth at RB or OL and thus both groups stink.

25 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No. They aren’t as replaceble.  You need good ones.  Go look at all the contending teams and look who is running the ball.  Go look at the top 10 runners.  If fact two of this year’s top 10 YTD are 1st rd picks from this year.  Barkley and 31st overall to the Pats, Sony Michel.  All Sony has done lately is pace the Pats to 3 straight wins, rushing for 112, 98 and 106 respectively. If you want a hockey equivalent I’d say a top 2 D.  Most are 1st rd picks, but many are 2nd and 3rd rd picks.  

Liger, I always said top 3 rounds and the evidence clearly shows the 60% of he top rushers are 1st rd picks with 30% from the 2nd or 3rd and 10% other. 

Regardless, we never drafted any depth at RB or OL and thus both groups stink.

The Giants are 1-5 and the Patriots have been winning with rb by committee for the last 20 years.

@WGR550
McDermott on Allen's recovery time: "We're going to list him as week-to-week and take things one day at a time."

@WGR550
McDermott on the Allen/Kelvin Benjamin pre-game discussion: "What was conveyed to me was that Josh asked Kelvin if he was ready or wanted more raps, and Kelvin responded that he was ready to go."

Glad to see the discussion has apparently moved on from whether McDermott &/or Beane's a racist.

While dumping Taylor for a 3rd & keeping a flawed Peterman around can appear to make that case, keeping Tolbert as the #2 RB all last season, keeping Benjamin as the #1 WR, & DuCasse as the starting LG along w/ asking Incognito for a pay cut & dumping McCarron for a 5th appear to make a better case IMHO that they simply aren't good at evaluating offensive players.  Occam's razor applicable here from my PoV.

Drafting Tre White & Edmonds w/ their top non QB selections of each of the last 2 drafts also seem to work against the racism narrative at least IMHO.

Contending teams and their running backs:

Kansas City Chiefs - Kareem Hunt (3rd round)

Los Angeles Rams - Todd Gurley (1st round)

New England Patriots - Sony Michel (1st round)

Los Angeles Chargers - Melvin Gordon (1st rounder)

New Orleans Saints - Alvin Kamari (3rd round)

Jacksonville Jaguars - Leonard Fournette (1st round)

Minnesota Vikings - Dalvin Cook (2nd round; Latavius Murray free agent/6th round)

Green Bay Packers - RB by committee (none earlier than 4th round)

Only real theme is first three rounds and a need for great production from RBs except for the two NFC North teams. The Packers have failed for years largely due to defense and their inability to get balance from their offense.

My view is you need a damn good running back in today’s NFL but you can get them in rounds two and three as often as one. Offensive lines are more important and mostly a necessity. You only jump for one in the first if you’re confident they’re “elite.” It also seems as though running backs are having a revival.

Edited by Hoss

19 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Contending teams and their running backs:

Kansas City Chiefs - Kareem Hunt (3rd round)

Los Angeles Rams - Todd Gurley (1st round)

New England Patriots - Sony Michel (1st round)

Los Angeles Chargers - Melvin Gordon (1st rounder)

New Orleans Saints - Alvin Kamari (3rd round)

Jacksonville Jaguars - Leonard Fournette (1st round)

Minnesota Vikings - Dalvin Cook (2nd round; Latavius Murray free agent/6th round)

Green Bay Packers - RB by committee (none earlier than 4th round)

Only real theme is first three rounds and a need for great production from RBs except for the two NFC North teams. The Packers have failed for years largely due to defense and their inability to get balance from their offense.

My view is you need a damn good running back in today’s NFL but you can get them in rounds two and three as often as one. Offensive lines are more important and mostly a necessity. You only jump for one in the first if you’re confident they’re “elite.” It also seems as though running backs are having a revival.

I mean this is a really debatable list and a snapshot of one season with 5 games in. Anyone think they can guess the last time the leading rusher made the Super Bowl?

2 hours ago, WildCard said:

I mean this is a really debatable list and a snapshot of one season with 5 games in. Anyone think they can guess the last time the leading rusher made the Super Bowl?

What’s debatable about the list (other than who the contenders are, I guess)? I think the list is a pretty factual and straightforward. The analysis of said list is certainly debatable.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.