Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

12 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

McD and Beane really and unnecessarily have painted themselves into a corner with their "management" of the QB position this year.  They've made one major blunder after another:

- Failing to get any of the good vet QBs in the offseason

- Unloading McCarron and going into the season with only Allen and Peterman

- Not releasing Peterman immediately following that epic week 1 debacle

- Not bringing in another QB until after week 5

They've put themselves into a situation where they either have to start a 36-year-old career mediocrity who has been with the team for a week, or a guy who clearly can't play in the NFL and who should've been out of the league 5 weeks ago at the latest.

This series of decisions is as stupid as any move Whaley ever made -- and that's a high bar.

WTF were they thinking??

Lots of people liked to pile on Whaley but he never left the team in such dire straights at the QB, WR and OL positions.

Edited by inkman

4 minutes ago, inkman said:

Lots of people liked to pile on Whaley but he never left the team in such dire straights at the QB, WR and OL positions.

I don’t get the hand wringing. Is it not clear what they are doing? They purged the roster of everyone they didn’t see moving forward with. They cut all their big contracts on other players. They aren’t playing the short game. They are playing the long game. The lack of talent today doesn’t mean a single thing to them. 

30 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Well we're a lock for a top 3 pick now

This team probably just got slightly better from a talent standpoint. Might be a bigger mental challenge.

6 minutes ago, SDS said:

I don’t get the hand wringing. Is it not clear what they are doing? They purged the roster of everyone they didn’t see moving forward with. They cut all their big contracts on other players. They aren’t playing the short game. They are playing the long game. The lack of talent today doesn’t mean a single thing to them. 

The analysis of what this shows about them is what I’m interested in. They are lost.

Edited by Hoss

1 hour ago, SDS said:

I see this idea more and more and I don’t get it. If you want a new quarterback then draft a quarterback you want in the spot you think you can attain them. Artificially choosing a couple rounds a priori does not make any sense.

They need other things and as I said, they aren't giving up on Allen this quick. That means you take a flyer on a 3rd round guy and who he works. 

14 minutes ago, SDS said:

And the long game is what? Win a Lombardi Trophy, then another one, like Terry wanted to win a Cup and then another one with the Sabres? In other words, don't lower themselves to just trying to make the playoffs — build a powerhouse. How did that work out with the hockey team? Tearing down is easy. It's an acknowledgement that you don't know what you're doing. That fans ever agree with this approach and think some big payoff is coming (in three to five to seven years, or whatever) is incredible to me. But it's what organizations like the Bills and Sabres rely on. They sell hope, otherwise the wagon is empty.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, SDS said:

Should have drafted a better QB if they wanted to play the long game. Maybe they can get Tua in another 2 years. Daboll knows him. 

9 minutes ago, Hoss said:

This team probably just got slightly better from a talent standpoint. Might be a bigger mental challenge.

The analysis of what this shows about them is what I’m interested in. They are lost.

Is it a failure to do something if you never had any intentions to do it in the first place?

The McCarron trade is everything you need to know about their mindset. He was a completely serviceable lower tier player that didn’t perform as they had hoped, so they quickly moved him for assets. He’s wasn’t in the plans and he wasn’t moved off the team, regardless of the impact this year. 

This is the contract purge year. Next year they will have freedom to add more talent. 

If I were the Bills drafting 3rd overall...

Trade down to 7 or 8 and pick up that extra 2nd this year and a 1st in 2 years. 

At 7 draft the very best player you can that isn't a RB. I could be talked into a Corner, Guard, WR here. 

With my next pick, draft the best center available. The pick after the best o lineman available. Use the remaining picks on WR and other needs. 

Next year, insert all that talent but start scouting the QB class of 2020. If Allen can't hack it prepare to move up or do whatever is needed to get that guy. If you have to trade Tre White and your entire draft, do it. You aren't doing anything in this league without a QB. 

Of course I would expect Beane and McD to be gone by then but still, that would be the plan. I don't believe the current regime can even fathom Allen not being successful. 

4 minutes ago, SDS said:

Is it a failure to do something if you never had any intentions to do it in the first place?

The McCarron trade is everything you need to know about their mindset. He was a completely serviceable lower tier player that didn’t perform as they had hoped, so they quickly moved him for assets. He’s wasn’t in the plans and he wasn’t moved off the team, regardless of the impact this year. 

This is the contract purge year. Next year they will have freedom to add more talent. 

Yes. You are given a project. You have no intention of doing the project so don't. The project and you fail. 

They had the freedom to add talent this year and they did... to the defense. They literally made 0 upgrades to the offense with the exception of drafting a QB. Only an idiot would draft a rookie QB and give him a terrible line, terrible receivers and no veteran to deal with all that. 

Edited by LGR4GM

Just now, North Buffalo said:

They have 10 draft pics in the upcoming draft... so maybe trade down but there is a couple high end o-line expected to go top 5.. so maybe not.  Find a good QB coach and o- line coach. 

There are? I have heard of possibly 2 qb's and 2 edge rushers but not about O-line guys. Who are they? I would be curious to look them up. 

11 minutes ago, SDS said:

Has McCarron made any comments on this since he was moved?  I don't want to ignore the possibility that he didn't want to be here once he lost out on the job.  Either way, it's not like they moved out the second coming of Frank Reich when they made that deal.  Like you said, they cleared out some more money.

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

They had the freedom to add talent this year and they did... to the defense. They literally made 0 upgrades to the offense with the exception of drafting a QB. Only an idiot would draft a rookie QB and give him a terrible line, terrible receivers and no veteran to deal with all that. 

They had to spend some money to make any of those improvements.  As SDS suggested, setting themselves up with the most assets and cap space beyond this year has been their main objective this entire time.  They could strengthen the depth of the offense, but it comes at the cost of that build up of assets.  It's completely reasonable to disagree with that approach, but it's clearly what they're doing here.  It's not fun to watch, but this approach can't be given a final judgement until we see what they do with those assets.

55 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

McD and Beane really and unnecessarily have painted themselves into a corner with their "management" of the QB position this year.  They've made one major blunder after another

The QB in the NFL is the most important position in all of pro sports. It is astonishing how poorly they've handled it. I can't believe they're surviving the errors they've made.

44 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Time to trade Shady. 

And Hughes.

43 minutes ago, inkman said:

Whaley was pretty bad with roster and cap management. He was a good to very good talent evaluator, though.

34 minutes ago, SDS said:

It's the NFL. There really needn't be a long game. OTOH, they are gonna have a lot of cap space next season. Like, a sh1t ton. We'll see what they make of it.

When we look back at the 2018 draft, I don’t think history will be kind to the Bills. They turned 6 1st 3 rd picks into an inaccurate QB, a good LB and a backup DT.  They could have fixed the O Line, drafted a future featured RB, added depth on D and still drafted a future starter at QB with Lamar Jackson lasting until the end of the first and Mason Rudolph (who will be better then Allen long-term) in the 3rd.

42 minutes ago, SDS said:

That's a heck of a way to treat the fan base.  This team could be headed to multiple double digits loss seasons. I guess the Pegulas are going to test Bills fans resilience. They had hope on their side as well as now having the cache of making the playoffs which some fans are putting a lot of stock in. Maybe they'll pull through this just fine. 

One only has to look 60 miles down the Thruway to see what happens to an extremely loyal fan base that was heavily abused by an org. Hundreds of fans now populate an arena that was sold out nearly every game. 

I know Bills games have taken on a life of their own with a large portion of fans more concerned about being blacked out and breaking things so maybe that'll push them through. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Should have drafted a better QB if they wanted to play the long game. Maybe they can get Tua in another 2 years. Daboll knows him. 

??? This makes no sense. Allen was billed as the guy with the best physical attributes, but also the biggest project. That is the long game. Drafting him was the complete opposite of winning now. The plan was to have him sit this year at minimum. That failed when McCarron failed to impress enough and Peterman ***** the bed.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

There was never an intention to play Allen this year. You are making a straw man argument. 

Just now, SDS said:

There was never an intention to play Allen this year. You are making a straw man argument. 

Well this is just wrong. In no universe was Allen not playing this year when you have McCarron and Peterman as backups, and you're rotating all 3 with the 1's in camp and in preseason starts

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, SDS said:

It is the epitome of a terrible plan to have, on the one hand, no intention of playing Allen this season, and, on the other hand, intentionally place your team in a position where it is guaranteed that you will have to play Allen this season.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If there was never an intention why is Allen playing? 

Yep.

I'm not sure which scenario is worse, actually.

I.e., "we never, ever intended this kid to play - he clearly needed a year to watch and learn" -- and yet here we are. Or, "we sorta didn't want him to play because we knew he needed the time, but we were okay with him 'winning the job' too, whether in camp or once the season began."

Edited by That Aud Smell

3 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

That plan failed because it was doomed to fail. Beane and McDermott made some horrendous miscalculations.

Correct. If Allen was supposed to sit then why did they trade McCarron?

Easy: because they never intended for Allen to sit this season out. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

Correct. If Allen was supposed to sit then why did they trade McCarron?

Easy: because they never intended for Allen to sit this season out. 

Which would be absolute sh1t-ass planning. Even Allen's most fervent supporters in the punditry were unanimous in the opinion that he needed a year to learn the pro game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.