So Who Won The Sabres Winnipeg Trade?

bob_sauve28

I guess it will still depend on what we get for Kane, but at this point how does it look? 

I know Myers has been hurt a lot, but Armia looks like a good player for them 

We did. See Eichel, Jack. 

That said, Armia is a good reason why we shouldn't give up on Nylander yet. 

Ligers logic is valid.

So is the logic that the team with the best player wins the trade, and Kane is easily the best player in the trade.

But you can also make a case for the team yhat is most successful using the trade conponents won, and Winnipeg kills it here.

I still say it is a draw.

Edited by We've

Sabres did because of Eichel. The Jets are a legimate Cup Contender but none of the pieces they acquired from Buffalo have been contributing to this regularly. Armia has improved and Roslovic is TBD.

Still I would rather have Jack over those two

Having TM make the trade was and automatic loss.

ROR Win

Kane Push

Fasching Loss

Pysyk Loss

Lehner Loss

Playing OK, but Boeser would have been better.

Sabres did because of Eichel. The Jets are a legimate Cup Contender but none of the pieces they acquired from Buffalo have been contributing to this regularly. Armia has improved and Roslovic is TBD.

Still I would rather have Jack over those two

ROR Win

Kane Push

Fasching Loss

Pysyk Loss

Lehner Loss

Playing OK, but Boeser would have been better.

We need to see how Asplund pans out for this one.

This thread asks the wrong question. It’s not a win or loss, but whether the trade was even necessary.

Kane was and is the best player in the trade. He has played excellent hockey for us, but we are no better as a team.

WPG thinks they won because they got rid of a locker room cancer and the team, based mostly on other players, has thrived.

My point has always been we were to early in our development as a rebuild to make this trade. In the end it cost us part of our pipeline without making us better. Therefore it’s a big fat fail.

As for the WPG trade....I consider Myers and Bogo a complete wash. I also completely forgot Stafford was a part of the trade. It's my belief that Murray gave up too much with 2 prospects and the 1st round pick.

Stafford: 104 GP  57 points - no longer on team, March 1, 2017: Traded to Boston by Winnipeg for Boston's 6th round (conditional) pick in 2017 NHL Draft.

Armia: 141 GP  47 points

Lemieux: 7GP 1 point

Rosclovic: 3GP 0 points

Kane: 178 GP 113 points

I'm thinking that the return we get for Kane will look like what WPG got from us in that trade, 2 prospects and a draft pick or some combination of that.

I think Buffalo gets declared a winner of the trade if an IMPACT player comes back/develops from whatever Kane brings in. Else it's a wash (this also depends on Amria, Lemieux or Rosclovic not becoming a force).

This thread asks the wrong question. It’s not a win or loss, but whether the trade was even necessary.

Kane was and is the best player in the trade. He has played excellent hockey for us, but we are no better as a team.

WPG thinks they won because they got rid of a locker room cancer and the team, based mostly on other players, has thrived.

My point has always been we were to early in our development as a rebuild to make this trade. In the end it cost us part of our pipeline without making us better. Therefore it’s a big fat fail.

It was neccessary.    Myers need a change of scenery as did Kane.

Roslo was the points leader in the AHL when he was called up.

Armia had the most TOI of any forward the other night and is arguably our smartest D forward on the team.

Lemieux can't crack the team at LW with Ehlers Connor Perreault Copp and Matthias ahead of him. He'll be on the team full time next season.

If you think Myers and Bogo are a wash, well, I really don't know what to say. He has 23 points and is our leading points D man. Last year he had 5 points and he only played 11 games....how is this a wash? Bogo has one assist this year...

Add what Staf contributed (especially the season he was acquired) and you would have to be a die hard Sabres fan to think this is a wash.

Somebody on here asked me last year while the Jets were sucking how the trade was doing for the Jets. The Sabres were x amount of points better than the year before and the Jets were x amount of points worse...well, I will ask that question back this year...how is the trade working out for the Sabres? Last time I looked, the Jets were in sole possession of third place overall and the Sabres were in sole possession of 2nd last. 

Myers is a far better player than Bogo at this point in time and within shouting distance of Kane as the best player in the trade.

Armia has improved from washout to JAG.

Jury is still out on Lemieux and Roslo

Bogo, due mostly to injury, is a huge disappointment.

The Sabres are probably going to get a low #1 and a decent prospect for Kane, while Myers is under contract for another year -- and, if the Jets trade him at the deadline in 2019, he will probably yield about as much as Kane does.

Verdict:  the Jet won the trade, mostly because Bogo washed out.

It was neccessary.    Myers need a change of scenery as did Kane.

Why was it necessary to trade Myers to WPG?  I'm sure there where plenty of other offers.  Shouldn't have a new GM and coaching staff been able to give Myers a fresh start without trading him?  

To me Kane is the type of player you acquire to help get your team from good to great.  He isn't the type of leader or player to get a team from basement to contention.  That is why this deal wasn't necessary.   Had the rebuild been done correctly, we might be a playoff contender now looking for a player like Kane to get to the next level.  Instead we wasted two good years from Kane and now will be trading him to a contender.

Edited by Georgia Flakt

I am 100% certain that a BIG chunk of the motivation for that trade was that we got Bogo and nothing else on the ice for the remainder of that season, ensuring that we would finish dead last.  Was it necessary to make the trade to avoid 2nd or 3rd last?  I don't know.  But it was a helluva insurance policy.

The trade was every bit as much about McEichel as it was about Kane or Bogo. 

Why was it necessary to trade Myers to WPG?  I'm sure there where plenty of other offers.  Shouldn't have a new GM and coaching staff been able to give Myers a fresh start without trading him?  

To me Kane is the type of player you acquire to help get your team from good to great.  He isn't the type of leader or player to get a team from basement to contention.  That is why this deal wasn't necessary.   Had the rebuild been done correctly, we might be a playoff contender now looking for a player like Kane to get to the next level.  Instead we wasted two good years from Kane and now will be trading him to a contender.

See above.  No other deal would have brought back an injured potential star that wouldn't see the ice until after the tank was consumated.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.