So Who Won The Sabres Winnipeg Trade?

bob_sauve28

Roslo was the points leader in the AHL when he was called up.

Armia had the most TOI of any forward the other night and is arguably our smartest D forward on the team.

Lemieux can't crack the team at LW with Ehlers Connor Perreault Copp and Matthias ahead of him. He'll be on the team full time next season.

If you think Myers and Bogo are a wash, well, I really don't know what to say. He has 23 points and is our leading points D man. Last year he had 5 points and he only played 11 games....how is this a wash? Bogo has one assist this year...

Add what Staf contributed (especially the season he was acquired) and you would have to be a die hard Sabres fan to think this is a wash.

Somebody on here asked me last year while the Jets were sucking how the trade was doing for the Jets. The Sabres were x amount of points better than the year before and the Jets were x amount of points worse...well, I will ask that question back this year...how is the trade working out for the Sabres? Last time I looked, the Jets were in sole possession of third place overall and the Sabres were in sole possession of 2nd last.

It’ll depend on the Kane trade. The team that gets the best player wins the trade, and Kane has easily been the best player.

But once we trade him, our return shifts. If we get picks and prospects for him, I’m probably going to side with you, Ducky, that the Jets got the better of the trade when one only looks at the trade on the surface (securing Eichel is always going to be the biggest boon on either side).

The caveat being I still don’t think the Sabres will have “lost” it, really. Stafford was a pending UFA, in reality irrelevant to the Sabres in the deal. Myers needed that scenery change, he was never going to last here. The pick and prospects you guys got, we’ll probably recoup that in the Kane trade. First for first, prospect for one of Armia/Lemieux, perhaps another pick or prospect to balance out the other.

Bogosian < Myers

Production received from Kane >>>>>>>> Production received from Stafford

1st = 1st

Prospect = Lemieux

Prospect/Pick = Armia

I’d give the Jets the edge because Bogosian is completely terrible, but no one is sweating that deal here if we get a decent return for Kane. The Jets needed to trade Kane, the Sabres needed to secure Eichel, and their records after are largely irrelevant. The Jets were equally bad in the aftermath of the deal, and haven’t rocketed to the top because of it. Just like Kane hasn’t torpedoed us to the bottom.

It’s possbile that both teams are fine with a trade. All that “best trade ever” nonsense is just Jets fans being their usual creative, and petty, selves.

I take offence to that.

It’s “Most racist city in Canada as chosen by Maclean’s Magazine” Winterpeg to you, good sir.

Is It ? I know a couple guys who grew up there on the wrong side of the tracks and they are tough sonsabitches. But I've never been there myself. I'd never heard the racist part. 

Edmonton.

Yeah I was thinkin cowtown but edmonton has the redneck quality as well.

Is It ? I know a couple guys who grew up there on the wrong side of the tracks and they are tough sonsabitches. But I've never been there myself. I'd never heard the racist part. 

Yeah I was thinkin cowtown but edmonton has the redneck quality as well.

We actually get really, really nice summers. The winters aren’t even that bad. The other thing is, most unfortunately, true.

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/welcome-to-winnipeg-where-canadas-racism-problem-is-at-its-worst/

I take offence to that.

It’s “Most racist city in Canada as chosen by Maclean’s Magazine” Winterpeg to you, good sir.

Really?

You've now sunk so low as to blame a hockey trade as racist? :D

No lie, this. S H I t is getting beyond old. Even my multi race kids and grand kids (who are now at teens or approaching) think so.

Give it a rest man, the civil rights movement was a success. I look to my kids to as proof.

Really?

You've now sunk so low as to blame a hockey trade as racist? :D

No lie, this. S H I t is getting beyond old. Even my multi race kids and grand kids (who are now at teens or approaching) think so.

Give it a rest man, the civil rights movement was a success. I look to my kids to as proof.

Check the link.

I am 100% certain that a BIG chunk of the motivation for that trade was that we got Bogo and nothing else on the ice for the remainder of that season, ensuring that we would finish dead last.  Was it necessary to make the trade to avoid 2nd or 3rd last?  I don't know.  But it was a helluva insurance policy.

The trade was every bit as much about McEichel as it was about Kane or Bogo. 

See above.  No other deal would have brought back an injured potential star that wouldn't see the ice until after the tank was consumated.

I agree that this was a big component of the trade. McEichel was in the bag.

Let's see what Kane's return is before giving the Jets a victory.

Soon Kane and Bogo will be ex-Sabres. That leaves the Sabres with Rosovic. Id say Winnipeg won the deal, especially if Lemieux develops into an NHL player.  

Pretty much a punk, they got their future kane right there but less talented.  

Still think it was an even trade though.

Edited by blåbär

Regardless of if the Jets "won", the Sabres definitely didn't win.  Factor in the opportunity cost for the Sabres in this trade - we could've held onto the 1st round pick for 2015 and used it for a different trade or just used it at the draft.  We needed to move Stafford and Myers to complete the tank but we could've just moved them for 2015 picks as well.  And we'd be in better shape now.  The Sabres moved five assets and they'd have been better off keeping three of them and could have been smarter about moving Stafford and Myers.

And three seasons later the Sabres are nowhere as a franchise.  Bogosian has been a net negative since we acquired him and he's still under contract for two more seasons.  And Kane is in his last weeks as a Sabre.

Tim Murray really should have been thrown into a volcano at the end of his time in Buffalo.

Regardless of if the Jets "won", the Sabres definitely didn't win.  Factor in the opportunity cost for the Sabres in this trade - we could've held onto the 1st round pick for 2015 and used it for a different trade or just used it at the draft.  We needed to move Stafford and Myers to complete the tank but we could've just moved them for 2015 picks as well.  And we'd be in better shape now.  The Sabres moved five assets and they'd have been better off keeping three of them and could have been smarter about moving Stafford and Myers.

And three seasons later the Sabres are nowhere as a franchise.  Bogosian has been a net negative since we acquired him and he's still under contract for two more seasons.  And Kane is in his last weeks as a Sabre.

Tim Murray really should have been thrown into a volcano at the end of his time in Buffalo.

+1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.