Leaving Lehner In For 6 Seals It: I’m Done With Housley

Swedesessed

Rob Ray said today that the team likes Housley and the coaching staff. They are working on things with players. Growing trust. It seemed confident in Housley.

Dear Lord. It's been 40 games and they make millions of dollars. Start winning hockey games.

The expectations within the organization seem ridiculously low.

Dear Lord. It's been 40 games and they make millions of dollars. Start winning hockey games.

The expectations within the organization seem ridiculously low.

So, so low

It was the right move. This team needs to care about how it plays. Let them skate in front of Lehner for the rest of this game and feel shame. He's a big boy, he'll be fine.

I like this take

Rob Ray said today that the team likes Housley and the coaching staff. They are working on things with players. Growing trust. It seemed confident in Housley.

Of course they like him... he never benches anybody, everybody gets to play a lot and not feel any pressure to perform.     Such a cozy comfortable environment for the players, everybody gets along, they all like each other and communicate very well.    They don't need to answer to anybody, just go about their business, enjoy each others company and collect fat paychecks.    They're living high off the hog and I'm sure it's a wonderful experience for all of them.   

I have to admit on first glance I thought this post involved trading the starting goalie to an aquarium for six aquatic mammals.

Obviously not the case, but that might be an interesting topic too. What level of sea life would be required to unload Lehner?

A crate of lobsters and a Narwhal would do it for me. 

Edited by Sakman

I have to admit on first glance I thought this post involved trading the starting goalie to an aquarium for six aquatic mammals.

Obviously not the case, but that might be an interesting topic too. What level of sea life would be required to unload Lehner?

This post makes me happy.

This post makes me happy.

Maybe the Sabres could pry an Orca out of Marineland. (I may be dating myself, does that place still exist?)

At least at this point, I don't think Housley is a bad coach and I don't think there is any problem with his system. I think the main issue is just a general lack of talent. We just don't have good enough players. IMHO, there is no coach in the history of the game who could consistently win with this roster.

As for whether I'd trade Lehner for six seals.... I think I gotta have a few sea lions in the deal to make that trade.

Edited by Potato

At least at this point, I don't think Housley is a bad coach and I don't think there is any problem with his system. I think the main issue is just a general lack of talent. We just don't have good enough players. IMHO, there is no coach in the history of the game who could consistently win with this roster.

As for whether I'd trade Lehner for six seals.... I think I gotta have a few sea lions in the deal to make that trade.

Completely disagree.    The primary job of the head coach is to get the most out of his players.    EVERYBODY on the team is underperforming... it's not just one guy, or a handful of guys.    They're all having career worst years offensively... ALL of them.    That speaks volumes about Housley.      Kane is the lone exception because he largely does his own thing anyway.     

Whether it's system, or motivation, or leadership... whatever Housley is doing is not working.    I hope Botterill realizes this and doesn't start shipping guys out because he's not going to get a very good return based on their recent play.     

I think the main issue is just a general lack of talent. We just don't have good enough players. 

I think we had less talent at many points throughout '13-'15, yet this current team isn't performing any better.

Completely disagree.    The primary job of the head coach is to get the most out of his players.    EVERYBODY on the team is underperforming... it's not just one guy, or a handful of guys.    They're all having career worst years offensively... ALL of them.    That speaks volumes about Housley.      Kane is the lone exception because he largely does his own thing anyway.     

Whether it's system, or motivation, or leadership... whatever Housley is doing is not working.    I hope Botterill realizes this and doesn't start shipping guys out because he's not going to get a very good return based on their recent play.     

I agree with all of this, particularly the bolded

Edited by erickompositör72

This season is the direct result of the tank years.  What did anyone realistically expect.

Several coaching and management changes.  Roster turnover.  Kids being thrust into situations that they are not ready for.  Lack of quality veterans.  The list is endless.

This is not a coaching problem.  The roster is not good enough and the good players are going through a lot of growing pains.

Hoping for wins and the playoffs is one thing, but actually expecting them this season is another.

I'm sure the team likes Housley and I'm sure Ray thinks that's great but winning is better yet. I could care less whether he's liked because it's not doing much good it appears.

I read it that way twice!

Post of the year so far.

I think Housley's style can definitely work, we obviously don't have the right personnel, he requires a fast up tempo pace and we have slugs like Reinhart, Pomminstein, Moulson, we need to get much quicker. This team reminds me completely of Edmonton where they had all of the same types of players. I've probably said that line many times but I believe it to be true.

I think Housley's style can definitely work, we obviously don't have the right personnel, he requires a fast up tempo pace and we have slugs like Reinhart, Pomminstein, Moulson, we need to get much quicker. This team reminds me completely of Edmonton where they had all of the same types of players. I've probably said that line many times but I believe it to be true.

Moulson isn't on the team anymore.

Of course they like him... he never benches anybody, everybody gets to play a lot and not feel any pressure to perform.     Such a cozy comfortable environment for the players, everybody gets along, they all like each other and communicate very well.    They don't need to answer to anybody, just go about their business, enjoy each others company and collect fat paychecks.    They're living high off the hog and I'm sure it's a wonderful experience for all of them.

This is how I see it.

Moulson isn't on the team anymore.

Lol

I think it's possible you could be right and that Housley is doing things the wrong way - we don't really know.  However, IMO, it is possible that you're wrong and that Housley is being asked to implement his system despite this current roster would play better if he altered it.  

3/4 of our team would be better if we just stayed at home defensively and dumped the puck in offensively.  You want that again?

Edited by 7+6=13

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.