Canada vs USA: WJC Outdoor Game, 3:00pm EDT. 12-29-2017

WildCard

Did you read the article that I referenced or no?  

Do you mean this article?  http://buffalonews.com/2017/12/28/world-juniors-ready-to-break-the-ice-with-first-outdoors-game/ (I searched pond hockey 2008).

I see this quote

Many of the players said this would be their first outdoor game. Well, at least their first since playing pond hockey or on backyard rinks.

“It’s going to be pretty cool once the team suits up for that,” Raddysh said. “I know a lot of guys haven’t played in an outdoor game or anything like that since they were little kids playing pond hockey. It’ll be a pretty cool experience to be out there at an NFL stadium in front of, I’m not sure how many fans, probably at least 40,000. It’ll be electric.”

Reading that article it doesn't seem to support your notion so my guess is that you are referring to another one that doesn't pop up with those search terms (there are only 2 articles, that one and one on Fehr and the NHLPA.)  If you have a link I will read it.

Do you mean this article?  http://buffalonews.com/2017/12/28/world-juniors-ready-to-break-the-ice-with-first-outdoors-game/ (I searched pond hockey 2008).

I see this quote

Reading that article it doesn't seem to support your notion so my guess is that you are referring to another one that doesn't pop up with those search terms (there are only 2 articles, that one and one on Fehr and the NHLPA.)  If you have a link I will read it.

No--I'll try to find it tomorrow.  I'm not sure if it was Harrington or Vogl or someone else, but it wasn't Moritz.

What a game. Froze our ass's off but man, was it worth it.

There was a large group of Canadians all around us, great folks, great hockey fans.

After USA's 2nd goal, one guy said "every time that Middlestadt touches the puck it scares me. He's just that good".

A number of the Canadian fans around us were Toronto fans. They were all saying how scary it was that Buffalo has this young talent. They were even talking about our Swedish players with praise and envy.

It felt good.

Oh, and Casey, yea, he's something special.

Go Sabres!!!

Between this game and going out for the Sabres, it's been a long day, but just allow me to say: Casey Mittelstadt is The Truth. His relentlessness on the puck reminds me of O'Reilly when he's at his best, and he knows how to play off the puck as well. I know we've sucked for years and "wake me when he's in the NHL helping the team win" has become modus operandi for many, but this is not doing mental gymnastics to convince ourselves Bailey or Baptiste can be top-6 players on a good team. Mittelstadt is the real deal and I don't care if he shatters a shoulder failing to do a pull-up, he's an NHL player next year. Don't "because Buffalo" this kid--you'll have a lot more fun believing in him.

Aside from the fact I wanted the USA to win, the right team won. US outplayed Canada from start to finish and deserved to win. That it was a thrilling comeback was just icing on the cake. My only regret is that because we weren't leading going into the 3rd, I couldn't make any QEW and bridge traffic jokes while the Canadian fans left early (as is my custom whenever they swarm our arena). 

The snow certainly caused pucks to be flubbed, but man, World Junior hockey is just so good. I forgot who it was that said it was just pure because the kids were raw talents still, but they were totally right. I love this tournament with all my sports fan soul. It's freaking fun, and anyone who disagrees can go suck a lemon.

The whole thing was a great experience, right down to the snowfall. Every outdoor game should be in Buffalo. As a bonus, I'm not going to need any frostbite-related amputations.

Between this game and going out for the Sabres, it's been a long day, but just allow me to say: Casey Mittelstadt is The Truth. His relentlessness on the puck reminds me of O'Reilly when he's at his best, and he knows how to play off the puck as well. I know we've sucked for years and "wake me when he's in the NHL helping the team win" has become modus operandi for many, but this is not doing mental gymnastics to convince ourselves Bailey or Baptiste can be top-6 players on a good team. Mittelstadt is the real deal and I don't care if he shatters a shoulder failing to do a pull-up, he's an NHL player next year. Don't "because Buffalo" this kid--you'll have a lot more fun believing in him.

Aside from the fact I wanted the USA to win, the right team won. US outplayed Canada from start to finish and deserved to win. That it was a thrilling comeback was just icing on the cake. My only regret is that because we weren't leading going into the 3rd, I couldn't make any QEW and bridge traffic jokes while the Canadian fans left early (as is my custom whenever they swarm our arena). 

The snow certainly caused pucks to be flubbed, but man, World Junior hockey is just so good. I forgot who it was that said it was just pure because the kids were raw talents still, but they were totally right. I love this tournament with all my sports fan soul. It's freaking fun, and anyone who disagrees can go suck a lemon.

The whole thing was a great experience, right down to the snowfall. Every outdoor game should be in Buffalo. As a bonus, I'm not going to need any frostbite-related amputations.

My daughter and I were transfixed by the game on TV.  I can only imagine what it was like in person. Pure entertainment.  Nice of the Sabres to pull out a victory and nice of the NHL to give us a replay victory.  I guess they heard Lehner afterall.

Now I just need to get one of those jerseys.

Well said

Now that I can finally feel my toes, I have to say, you should all listen to True with this. Mittelstadt is the real deal. I'm still hesitnat on having him play in the big legaues next year, but maybe my Hobey Baker thread isn't looking so ridiculous now...

That was quite the experience!

We Canadians were disappointed with the result but the overall experience was awesome.

I hope the NHL never goes to a shootout to decide playoff games, I don't like a skills competition deciding an important game. This was a preliminary round game but last year's gold medal was decided in the same manner. Regardless, that's 4 in a row for USA vs Canada at this tournament. I would attribute a lot of that to the USNDP. These guys have played together more and know each other way better than the Canadian "all-star team" model.

The drive back to our homeland was painful, 2 hours to get across the ditch from New Era Field.

I want to see him in the Blue and Gold.  Soon.

YES.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.