GDT: Bruins @ Sabres 12/19/2017, 7:30pm NBCS

jsb

Yes, he got benched.

He was a no-show prior to that on the 4th line.

He's not only working his way off the team, he's working his way out of the league.

Think of the amount of money this loser piece of sh!t just pissed away. Most of the jerk-offs who are burdening this franchise - Moulson, Gorges, Bogosian, O'Reilly to name a few - at least have had the sense to mail it in knowing their financial future was secured.

More Bruins fans than Buffalo, it HAS to be rock bottom soon

Well, we've been the worst team in the league for a few years now....I think we're there

I dunno, the JBOTs "we'll take calls on anyone not named Jack Eichel" was a bit telling...

That aside, I still believe all parties involved knew this was going to be a tough season. And I have to believe that there's a plan. This year is down the toilet. Just give us something...

We're told this every year

Only watched the first two periods, but this Samson hate is a bit to much.   He actually wasn't that bad unless he completely did something bad in the 3rd I didn't see ???

I thought the team actually played well the first two, but the main problem is as usual:   

Perimeter shots, rarely saw a sabre get close enough to the goal, the few times we did they were dangerous.   Saw our D shoot a lot, but seems that was allowed by the bruins, most of our shots came from the outside and those are just more easy to handle for a goalie.

Phil Housely answers...

"I don't have an answer"

"I can't explain it"

And somehow this guy won Terry Pegula over? Give me a ###### break

I'll connect some dots. Phil's wife is running for Al Franken's seat as a Republican. Birds of a feather flock together. There's a jib cut that Terry likes. Want a job on Terry's team? Wear your cross out, present a bottle of red wine and talk about how poor people should pull themselves up by their bootstraps.

Why do you stick around?

Sincere question. If they make you this miserable, why aren’t you finding something better to do?

This is the weakest of sauce. It's akin to telling someone to leave the country if they don't like it.

I'll connect some dots. Phil's wife is running for Al Franken's seat as a Republican. Birds of a feather flock together. There's a jib cut that Terry likes. Want a job on Terry's team? Wear your cross out, present a bottle of red wine and talk about how poor people should pull themselves up by their bootstraps.

This is the weakest of sauce. It's akin to telling someone to leave the country if they don't like it.

Read what you quoted. It was question. There was no telling involved.

Trying to figure out why people think and behave the way they do is never weak.

And people do leave the country if they don’t like it; they do it all the time.

Edited by Mick O’Manly

This was the first game I watched wire to wire in a while.

Pretty entertaining game IMHO that could’ve gone either way. The Sabres has quite a few chances in the first period and had the better of the play, and then it was pretty even in the 2nd and 3rd with perhaps a slight edge to the Bruins.

The Bruins are clearly a better team but the Sabres were quite competitive.

I hate to risk irritating Inky, but the difference between the teams tonight wasn’t much more than the spread between their respective #1 picks in 2014 and 2016 — Pastrnak and MacAvoy vs Reino and Nylander.

Add to that Marchand being better than Eichel and Bergeron being better than ROR and there’s your margin.

ROR has one goal in his last 15 games. I think either he or Reino or both will be gone this summer.

Still: I was encouraged. They had a lot more life than they did a month ago.

Tonight, especially in the first period, may have been the most we’ve seen of the five-man attack Housley was supposed to bring. The D looked pretty good both ways tonight and had a physical edge.

And there were some terrific high-effort defensive plays from the forwards - Kane on the backcheck, Pominville’s diving shotblock.

When you’ve been down as long as we have, it’s hard to focus on anything other than the lack of goals.

But it’s up to Housley to focus on what they are doing right and keep that coming.

If they play like that more often, they’re going to win their share.

Only watched the first two periods, but this Samson hate is a bit to much.   He actually wasn't that bad unless he completely did something bad in the 3rd I didn't see ???

I thought the team actually played well the first two 

I agree with most of these items, Samson has earned alot of the scorn he's receiving but I thought he played a responsible game the past 2 games. I'm hoping he's turning a corner here but he doesn't appear to have another gear to step up to, you never see this guy take over a game even for a single shift. Wasn't the 2014 draft the one where Boston was blasted for missing on their 1st round draft choices?? Maybe I'm wrong

Other notes

The defense is playing much better, Antipin and Balou played ok and add speed to the mix

Bogosian has played well since he's come back. Yes he's making a lot of money but he's far from the biggest problem we have

Pouliot had some glorious opportunities but didn't cash in. 

When we're praising the effort of waiver wire pickups it goes to show what little depth we have on this team and why the tank had more ramifications than just picking up Jack and Samson

We are also a bad passing team, how many opportunities are lost a game when the pass is behind, in the skates or just plain miss the intended player. Must be 10 a game.

For a 1-0 game, I thought it was pretty entertaining especially for a Sabre game. Boston is playing really well lately, that actually was a pretty good showing for a last place team.

This is such a HAPPY place when we lose.

Edited by JSBeersson

Nonsense.

Thought it was a good game.

Really enjoy watching Antipin and Beaulieu. We have some speed on the back end when they play.

Sam is not a tire fire right now, just hasn't filled the #2 overall pick shoes we came to expect. Larsson and Girgensons are playing  just as low compared to expectations. Maybe none of them are point a game players, but one of the three should have a point in a game.

Edited by skogslopp

Nonsense.

There's obviously some license being taken there (call it PA-etic license), but I'd lay nearly even odds that it's an accurate assessment of things that Terry Pegula would agree with and endorse.

Wearing your cross out: Terry himself talked about McDermott's hiring being in part because he's a faith-based leader. I don't think there's really any disputing this point anymore.

Red wine: That was specifically reported as part of the advice that Toady Brandon gave to Rex (?) so he could woo the Pegulas.

Bootstraps: This one I think is more inferential. But given his apparent political leanings and his own rags(ish) to riches story, it's a more than fair guess.

All of that said, I have no idea whether any of that played a role in hiring Housley. I can't even recall how involved the Pegulas were in hiring Housley, tbh -- was it more a JBOT project?

Wait what? That's crazy. I think it would be extremely difficult to have a US Senator and head coach of NHL team in the same household.  Way too much stress for one family.  Pick one please. At this point, I hope politics.

Wait what? That's crazy. I think it would be extremely difficult to have a US Senator and head coach of NHL team in the same household.  Way too much stress for one family.  Pick one please. At this point, I hope politics.

First she wanted to be Governor of Minny. Either way, if she wins, it might be a nice out for Phil. "What's best for my family."

Nonsense.

Are you trying to tell me Phil doesn't watch Fox News?

For those who question the value of Pommers with Eichel, consider a play early in the game last night. Eichel had speed through center down the right wing and dished it off to Pominville outside the line. Stein one-touched it between two Bruins and off the wall inside the zone, where Eichel skated into it and carried it down for a somewhat bad-angle shot. Set play. How many guys do we have who are smart enough to read that play and execute it?

There's obviously some license being taken there (call it PA-etic license), but I'd lay nearly even odds that it's an accurate assessment of things that Terry Pegula would agree with and endorse.

Wearing your cross out: Terry himself talked about McDermott's hiring being in part because he's a faith-based leader. I don't think there's really any disputing this point anymore.

Red wine: That was specifically reported as part of the advice that Toady Brandon gave to Rex (?) so he could woo the Pegulas.

Bootstraps: This one I think is more inferential. But given his apparent political leanings and his own rags(ish) to riches story, it's a more than fair guess.

All of that said, I have no idea whether any of that played a role in hiring Housley. I can't even recall how involved the Pegulas were in hiring Housley, tbh -- was it more a JBOT project?

After Terry disavowed any significant role in hiring Murray and Bylsma and stated that he was going to be personally involved in the new hires, you can bet the owner didn't just sign off on Housley. But even if it was more of a JBOT project, Botterill would know that everyone has a boss (at the late Bryan Murray told his nephew after he got the job in Buffalo). Housley checked many Pegula boxes. FTR I think the USA Hockey and former Sabre boxes trumped any "jib cutting" boxes.

Thank you. I just tried to PayPal you your spokesman fee, but you blocked me????!!!

For those who question the value of Pommers with Eichel, consider a play early in the game last night. Eichel had speed through center down the right wing and dished it off to Pominville outside the line. Stein one-touched it between two Bruins and off the wall inside the zone, where Eichel skated into it and carried it down for a somewhat bad-angle shot. Set play. How many guys do we have who are smart enough to read that play and execute it?

I've been saying this since the off-season. I need smarter players for Jack, and that's why I like Pommers with him. I need guys who complement Jack, not guys who Jack has to work harder for. 

I've been saying this since the off-season. I need smarter players for Jack, and that's why I like Pommers with him. I need guys who complement Jack, not guys who Jack has to work harder for.

Nice segue into the Sam Reinhart conundrum.

Pominville is essentially playing the same role Sam did last year, and about as effectively.

Am I the only one who has noticed Sam moving his feet more, and protecting the puck better along the wall?

It’s pretty clear the coaching staff has been pushing him to play more like a winger is expected to play in Housley’s system.

It’s also pretty clear he doesn’t have the best skill set for it; ideally you’re big and fast like Kane and Pouliot, but most especially fast.

I think the plan is to put Sam into situations where he has to assert himself more, be the guy, but it seems to be more clear by the day that he can’t do that at this level.

My question is are they squandering what he can do in a bid to develop him into something he’s not?

I think what TP said about McD being religious was more in the context of McD being a person of good character -- i.e. character being the key factor, not devoutness.  TP also emphasized McD's attention to detail much more than he did character or faith.

As for disputing the point -- the point I am disputing is that devoutness played any kind of significant role in the choice.  I continue to think this is nonsense and not supported by the facts.

And as you noted there is no indication that TP played much if any of a role in selecting Housley -- let alone that any of the factors mentioned in PA's post were considered.

Are you trying to tell me Phil doesn't watch Fox News?

I am simply responding to your trollish and baseless assertion that TP applied silly criteria in the selection of Housley.

Nice segue into the Sam Reinhart conundrum.

Pominville is essentially playing the same role Sam did last year, and about as effectively.

Am I the only one who has noticed Sam moving his feet more, and protecting the puck better along the wall?

It’s pretty clear the coaching staff has been pushing him to play more like a winger is expected to play in Housley’s system.

It’s also pretty clear he doesn’t have the best skill set for it; ideally you’re big and fast like Kane and Pouliot, but most especially fast.

I think the plan is to put Sam into situations where he has to assert himself more, be the guy, but it seems to be more clear by the day that he can’t do that at this level.

My question is are they squandering what he can do in a bid to develop him into something he’s not?

The only question that remains for me is this: does Sam belong in the NHL?

I agree with you that Sam/Pominville should be interchangeable. Ideally we wouldn't be in bad shape if Reinhart was a Pommers replacement. 

The problem is: Sam has regressed. He's getting beaten out for the job by a guy 13 years older than him. That really shouldn't be happening at this point in Sam's career. But it is. And it's a problem.

I think Sam has been told something simple: You're 6'1" and nearly 200lbs. Start playing like it.

Sam has the smarts, but he needs to make up for his lack of speed by being much much stronger on the puck. 

I think he's capable of getting there, but I think his attitude/work ethic is holding him back. It's why I think he should have spent a year in the A getting his ass kicked by a bunch of plugs. 

I don't like the trope of saying someone needs to "act like a man", but Sam falls right into that slot for me. I need to see a little more David Krejci work ethic outta him. 

The only question that remains for me is this: does Sam belong in the NHL?

I agree with you that Sam/Pominville should be interchangeable. Ideally we wouldn't be in bad shape if Reinhart was a Pommers replacement. 

The problem is: Sam has regressed. He's getting beaten out for the job by a guy 13 years older than him. That really shouldn't be happening at this point in Sam's career. But it is. And it's a problem.

I think Sam has been told something simple: You're 6'1" and nearly 200lbs. Start playing like it.

Sam has the smarts, but he needs to make up for his lack of speed by being much much stronger on the puck. 

I think he's capable of getting there, but I think his attitude/work ethic is holding him back. It's why I think he should have spent a year in the A getting his ass kicked by a bunch of plugs. 

I don't like the trope of saying someone needs to "act like a man", but Sam falls right into that slot for me. I need to see a little more David Krejci work ethic outta him. 

Yep, Yep and Yep.

I posted in another that Sam was playing much more effectively as a rookie. It was touted he was staying after practice working with O'Reilly who used to be the hardest working Sabre.

In Before everyone else last one off the ice long after formal practice ended and Sam was staying after working his craft.

Given the current state of this team I have nothing, nothing like that is occurring in any news or from anywhere.. If that's true than here is where Phil needs to take more time and longer practices(unless there is a limit he can do)  and force them to practice  things they are still not doing well.. Passing and Finishing scoring plays are 2 that come to mind,, Add in one timers because this team is horrible and almost always has to settle a puck before shooting allowing goalie and sticks to get in the lane.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.