DEADLINE DAY -- Sabres trade speculation

matter2003

Kane is held to a different standard not because of his heritage, but because he was a club house cancer in Wpg and followed that up with bad behavior as soon as he got to Buffalo.

Even given that, his treatment in the hockey media is a bit seedy.  I mean, I can think of another guy named Kane who had a bit of controversy surrounding him and still gets himself used in NHL advertising and doesn't seem to have the same scrutiny applied to him, for some reason...

I never wholly discount the role of race, but Kane also gives off vibes as a self-centered narcissistic brooding doosh.

He’s definitely not standard issue hockey material.

Did GMs similarly avoid Sean Avery?

I don't think it's a race thing (and PTR is trolling all of you anyway). 

But I think it's a fancy-stats thing. Kane, despite his numbers, destroys the stats of the line he is on. Is it a chemistry thing? Is it just about the way he plays the game? I don't know, but I think GM's don't see him as "plug-n-play" like they might see other players (like Nash, who has played on a couple teams with success). 

Kane, because of how he plays the game, is simply a bigger roll of the dice. If you have a line that isn't producing anyway then he probably wont do much damage. But you might be in trouble if you're trying to plug him into a line that already works just fine. 

John Shannon mentioned that there is a belief that Evander Kane will not be moved today....Sigh

https://twitter.com/jeremywgr/status/968117914015535104

If the best offer out there is something like a second and a prospect, Botterill would be wise to say no.  He needs to establish a reputation, and the Sabres need to re-establish theirs.  Let the league know they won't be had.

I never wholly discount the role of race, but Kane also gives off vibes as a self-centered narcissistic brooding doosh.

It's funny nobody seems to remember all the philanthropic activities he does with kids in the Buffalo area... only that he did push-ups with a stack of $100 bills on his back 10 years ago and that Big Buff tossed his track suit into the shower.

Oh well, not looking to get into a fight over this. I just feel he's been labeled and people are just focusing on the negatives and ignoring his positives.

It's funny nobody seems to remember all the philanthropic activities he does with kids in the Buffalo area... only that he did push-ups with a stack of $100 bills on his back 10 years ago and that Big Buff tossed his track suit into the shower.

Oh well, not looking to get into a fight over this. I just feel he's been labeled and people are just focusing on the negatives and ignoring his positives.

Kane, after getting put in time-out, has really turned things around. He's matured as a person. I would have no trouble keeping him here for the right price. 

While race is certainly not the only issue with Kane I think it definitely amplifies it. Kane didn't even have any legal troubles until getting to Buffalo; there were some locker room things and obviously he liked the night life a bit more that your average hockey guy would let on, but no one EVER questioned how hard he played when he was on the ice.  Then he comes here and gets into some that was entirely his fault and people go "oh, well of COURSE". Patrick Kane was accused of rape, beat up a cabbie over change, is/was clearly an alchoholic, and was out constantly, but if the Hawks ever decided to trade him I don't think that would ever come in the discussion. P. Kane is a better player, obviously, but still.

The problem is that black players, especially in a league as pasty as the NHL, have to hold themselves to a higher standard because when they screw up its all anyone will talk about any more, where as white dudes are going to get the benefit of the doubt from the media.

If the best offer out there is something like a second and a prospect, Botterill would be wise to say no.  He needs to establish a reputation, and the Sabres need to re-establish theirs.  Let the league know they won't be had.

I disagree a second and a prospect for someone who is going to UFA Is better than him leaving for nothing.

The league thought Sakic was a buffoon for the ROR Trade, and praised him for the Duchene Deal it’s better to get some value rather than nothing

This has nothing to do with race. and when GMs are trying to make their team better for a cup run the only time Kanes past comes into play is during negotiations. These guys would sign Ted friggin Bundy if he could score 25-30 goals in season.

I think race does have a small play in EK perception. Not across the board, and EK has earned the skepticism to a point based on his actions, but I do believe if EK was white the comments would be a little less across the board.

Oh, he'll be moved. And his return will be better than that "second and a prospect" nonsense. 

Agreed. It is now 9:41EST and from now to 3PM is an eternity for the Trade Deadline.

Side note: NHL, PLEASE think this through: Make the NHL Trade Deadline a PRIMETIME event, clear the schedule, no games and make it great for the fans.

No fans celebrate a trade deadline like NHL fans. None.

I think race does have a small play in EK perception. Not across the board, and EK has earned the skepticism to a point based on his actions, but I do believe if EK was white the comments would be a little less across the board.

Agreed. It is now 9:41EST and from now to 3PM is an eternity for the Trade Deadline.

Side note: NHL, PLEASE think this through: Make the NHL Trade Deadline a PRIMETIME event, clear the schedule, no games and make it great for the fans.

No fans celebrate a trade deadline like NHL fans. None.

Put it on a saturday.I hate working when this shite is on.

Edited by bunomatic

If Kane isn't traded and the result is the Sabres sign him at a decent but not crazy salary, I'd be okay with that.

To your points:

. He does give that impression, and after some early missteps with the Sabres, he's really cleaned up his act.  He's also done a lot of charitable work in the Buffalo area.  He may be a better fit in Buffalo than most other cities, where even his swagger can appeal to a city that hasn't had much to brag about in sports for years.

. Not standard issue hockey material, but used correctly that can be an advantage.  He's consistently put forth a top effort even when the rest of the team is having a meh night.

. Avery seemed to intentionally seek out controversy and didn't know how and when to keep his yap shut, and it seemed to get worse with time.  With Kane it seems more like a maturity issue and his behavior is improving (this is my perception but I don't see Buffalo media regularly, so maybe that's not a valid one).