Jbot Do Something Already Part 2

GASabresIUFAN

I feel like there is something going on underneath all this we just aren't seeing. Idk what but there is some other angle being worked by Botteril and the coaches.

I would assume they don't want to completely nuke the trade value of the players they want to get rid of by publicly trashing them. Reinhart specifically comes to mind. That dude is a problem going back to last year but we don't want to completely confirm that.

I would assume they don't want to completely nuke the trade value of the players they want to get rid of by publicly trashing them. Reinhart specifically comes to mind. That dude is a problem going back to last year but we don't want to completely confirm that.

Yea, I am so far off the Reinhart train that it is derailed off a cliff into a volcano. 

Edited by LGR4GM

I hate to say this, but I'm almost going to give Reinhart a pass this season.  The whole team sucks, not just Reinhart.  No one, except maybe Jack and Kane, are better this season the last.  Not Risto, not Scandella, not Okposo, not Lehner, not ROR, not any of the backbone of this team.  The kid is to talented and has never been anything but a hard worker to this point in his career. 

What we have found out is that he is not a center piece of a franchise.  This sucks for a 2nd overall player.  However, once the roster improves, I suspect he'll become a 60 point player.  One of the great things about him sucking this season is that Jbot gets to give him a cheap 2 year bridge deal.  If I'm right and he turns it around next season on a better team, then we'll have a bargain on out hands.  When is the last time we said that about a Sabre on his second contract?  

I feel like there is something going on underneath all this we just aren't seeing. Idk what but there is some other angle being worked by Botteril and the coaches.  

There is very little emphasis on winning this season.  When the marriage of Buffalo and Rochester happens, hopefully next year (along with Mittelstadt making the jump from college), the Sabres will get the infusion of talent they need to compete. In the meantime, JBot and HCPH know the team sucks and they just aren't making a fuss about it.  Instead, this is an 82-game training camp.  Next year (or possibly even the year after), we'll be glad they did it this way, but right now it sucks.

Don't sweat it.

I hate to say this, but I'm almost going to give Reinhart a pass this season. The whole team sucks, not just Reinhart. No one, except maybe Jack and Kane, are better this season the last. Not Risto, not Scandella, not Okposo, not Lehner, not ROR, not any of the backbone of this team. The kid is to talented and has never been anything but a hard worker to this point in his career.

What we have found out is that he is not a center piece of a franchise. This sucks for a 2nd overall player. However, once the roster improves, I suspect he'll become a 60 point player. One of the great things about him sucking this season is that Jbot gets to give him a cheap 2 year bridge deal. If I'm right and he turns it around next season on a better team, then we'll have a bargain on out hands. When is the last time we said that about a Sabre on his second contract?

Reinhart doesn't get a pass because his sucking is a direct contributor to the team's overall sucking. He's a major part of the problem, not a victim. Free passes are for plugs.

I hate to say this, but I'm almost going to give Reinhart a pass this season.  The whole team sucks, not just Reinhart.  No one, except maybe Jack and Kane, are better this season the last.  Not Risto, not Scandella, not Okposo, not Lehner, not ROR, not any of the backbone of this team.  The kid is to talented and has never been anything but a hard worker to this point in his career. 

What we have found out is that he is not a center piece of a franchise.  This sucks for a 2nd overall player.  However, once the roster improves, I suspect he'll become a 60 point player.  One of the great things about him sucking this season is that Jbot gets to give him a cheap 2 year bridge deal.  If I'm right and he turns it around next season on a better team, then we'll have a bargain on out hands.  When is the last time we said that about a Sabre on his second contract?  

I officially endorse this post 100%.

Maybe something is going on in Reinhart's personal life that is affecting his quality of play and his work ethic? He is still only 22 years old, which makes him the second youngest player on the roster. He's currently on pace for about 25 points this season. No way is Sam normally a 25 point-per-year NHL player. He averaged about 45 for his first two full seasons. Sam was never drafted 2nd overall because of his blazing speed or his powerful shot. He was supposed to be this cerebral center who would poetically distribute the puck to the bigger, faster, stronger wingers. The problem with this idea is that a player like Reinhart can't really maximize his own talent until the talent around him improves from its current standing.

Remember we bashed CoHo for his drop in production and he was seriously ill. Who knows, maybe Sam is playing through some nagging injuries.

Young player go also through growing pains. Development isn’t linear. I’m much more comfortable with thinking Sam can rebound from a bad season at 22, then Okposo at 30. Sometimes a bad season is a sign of things to come (Moulson), but with young guys, it is more likely a step in their development.

EDIT: Although I’m defending Reinhart, if we re-drafted 2014, where would Sam go? 10th? Worse? Right now I have 12 players I think are just as good if not better. Ekblad, Draisaitl, Ehlers, Nylander, Larkin, Pastrank, Point, Arvidsson, Tuch, Fiala, Schmaltz and even Labanc (SJ).

Fyi:

Cap for 2018-19

Forwards under contract - 7 (ROR, Jack, KO, Erod, Girgensons, Larsson and Pommers) - $32.825. Plus $3.517 for Moulson and CoHo.

RFA’s of Note (CJ Smith and Reinhart)

UFA’s of note (Pouliot & Nolan)

Defense under contract - 6 (Risto, Bogo, Scandella, McCabe, Baloo and GUHLE) - $19.240.

RFA’s Antipin

Goalie - Ullmark - $750K

RFA - Lehner

14 players total for 56.332. If the Cap goes to 80 mill, that leaves us 23.668 for 8 players.

Other RFAs in the system: Fasching, Bailey, Baptiste, Nelson, Wilson and Malone.

New players already signed: PU

Prospects who might be signed: Budik, Borgen, Fitzgerald, Mittelstadt, Glotov, Hagel, and Olofsson.

Edited by Georgia Flakt

Listened to housley interview on wgr on the way in. He said were going to really start evaluating things going forward from now until the end of the season. I don't know but just the way he kept saying it makes me think jbott will be busy over this bye week.

Hold on a minute...  They're going to START evaluating this going forward starting NOW?  What they hell have they been doing since September?  Isn't that what they get paid to do?   

This goes back to a previous point I made earlier in the season... it was a massive mistake to not evaluate the players based on film from the past few seasons of play.     They said going in that everyone was starting off on a clean slate, they weren't going to judge players based on past performance, only on what they showed going forward.    Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it... and here we are.

What we have learnt is that Tanking was a solution in a bygone era.  Today, there's no

guarantee of 1st (or even 2nd) overall.  Reinhart has been surpassed by a dozen

players drafted after him. We just saw Ehlers last night.  Eichel is good ($10M/year good??),

but we missed out on McDavid.  McDavid is great, but where is Edmonton?  No ONE player

can save a team....And while I'm here, Matt Barzal, Brock Boeser, and Zach Warenski all

are great players drafted well after Eichel.

[i will openly admit it. I fell for the tanking is good jingle too.]

No, it takes a whole team to win.  You don't need just one or two star players, you need

a bunch.  Guy Lafleur had a boatload of talent around him. Mike Bossy had Trottier and Potvin.

Gretzky had Kurri, Messier, Anderson, & some lame skating guy named Coffey.

Pittsburgh the last 2 years: Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and oh, their leading scorer

this year Kessel.

It takes good drafting (and some key trades).  With GMTM, we were sold a bill of goods. GMTM

was supposed to be some genius at evaluating talent.  Where are Fasching and Deslauriers?

[OK. Deslauriers has sorta broken out this year.]  But only his 1st rounders have made it so far. 

Nylander was the _wrong_ pick in 2016 and is a bust as far as I can tell. Trade him before everyone

else figures out the same. 

They are saying that 2018 might be the deepest draft since 2003.  Unless we get the chance

to draft Dahlin, we should find a way to trade down for a ton more picks and pray to God that

GMJB knows how to evaluate talent.

Or....Eichel seems to be unhappy a lot. And $10M/year is TON of money.  Why not trade him for

a boatload of talent? Boston has a lot in the pipeline and seem to know how to draft (McAvoy

anyone?? Drafted well after Nylander.)  Just sayin' that it's an option.

I know that this post will read by only 1/4 of the board as the rest seem to hate me or have

set me to ignore...oh well.

Hold on a minute...  They're going to START evaluating this going forward starting NOW?  What they hell have they been doing since September?  Isn't that what they get paid to do?   

This goes back to a previous point I made earlier in the season... it was a massive mistake to not evaluate the players based on film from the past few seasons of play.     They said going in that everyone was starting off on a clean slate, they weren't going to judge players based on past performance, only on what they showed going forward.    Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it... and here we are.

My face still hurts from the face palm I did when Phil said he wouldn't be watching any tape from previous years. 6 months ago

I remember Joe.

The Nordiques/Avs traded a petulant Eric Lindros to Philly for the Flyers' future and ended up with a couple of Cups to show for it.  And Philly ended up with.... not nearly as much.  Don't knock package deals.  I'm not advocating trading Jack away like that, but if you're looking at possible deals I wouldn't dismiss a top-player-for-a-package-of-prospects kind of deal out of hand.

Had Filly lucked into winning the Patrick Roy lottery that the Nords NEVER would've won, sadly we probably would've seen between 1-3 championships going to the "City of Brotherly Hate." (Shudders & searches for lighter fluid to shower in. Hopefully that will get the filth off from merely THINKING that thought. Shudders again.)

What we have learnt is that Tanking was a solution in a bygone era.  Today, there's no

guarantee of 1st (or even 2nd) overall.  Reinhart has been surpassed by a dozen

players drafted after him. We just saw Ehlers last night.  Eichel is good ($10M/year good??),

but we missed out on McDavid.  McDavid is great, but where is Edmonton?  No ONE player

can save a team....And while I'm here, Matt Barzal, Brock Boeser, and Zach Warenski all

are great players drafted well after Eichel.

[i will openly admit it. I fell for the tanking is good jingle too.]

I know that this post will read by only 1/4 of the board as the rest seem to hate me or have

set me to ignore...oh well.

Tanking isn't a solution of a bygone era. The Pens/Hawks/Kings have won all but 1 of the last what? 10 cups. History being 20\20 but he Tank should have been 2015 and 2016. How would this team look with Matthews or Laine on the team right now? The team was stripped to the bare bones. What I think most of us who supported the tank didn't realize is that it would take so much time to rebuild the depth.

Maybe th Tank II, 2018 lands the Sabres the 2nd elite talent that it is sorely missing and things turn arose no quick.

But none of those players have come even close to descending into the depths of sucktitude Reinhart has. The guy looks completely lost. Not an NHL player bad.

Don’t even need to point out his weaknesses anymore. Let’s focus on his strengths. What is Reinhart’s supposed main strength? Vision and playmaking. Sam Reinhart has 6 assists. SIX.

6 assists!

There is not a chance Reinhart becomes a 60 point player. That’s a bonafide first line player deserving of a second overall pick.

Did I mention he has 6 assists?

There is very little emphasis on winning this season.  When the marriage of Buffalo and Rochester happens, hopefully next year (along with Mittelstadt making the jump from college), the Sabres will get the infusion of talent they need to compete. In the meantime, JBot and HCPH know the team sucks and they just aren't making a fuss about it.  Instead, this is an 82-game training camp.  Next year (or possibly even the year after), we'll be glad they did it this way, but right now it sucks.

Don't sweat it.

I’m sorry, there is no chance that merely an infusion of some AHL players turns one of the worst teams of all time around. Their best forward has been non existent thus far in limited NHL action.

But none of those players have come even close to descending into the depths of sucktitude Reinhart has. The guy looks completely lost. Not an NHL player bad.

Don’t even need to point out his weaknesses anymore. Let’s focus on his strengths. What is Reinhart’s supposed main strength? Vision and playmaking. Sam Reinhart has 6 assists. SIX.

6 assists!

There is not a chance Reinhart becomes a 60 point player. That’s a bonafide first line player deserving of a second overall pick.

Did I mention he has 6 assists?

I’m sorry, there is no chance that merely an infusion of some AHL players turns one of the worst teams of all time around. Their best forward has been non existent thus far in limited NHL action.

Problem is his skating. He’s just average and doesn’t have speed.

Remember we bashed CoHo for his drop in production and he was seriously ill. Who knows, maybe Sam is playing through some nagging injuries.

Young player go also through growing pains. Development isn’t linear. I’m much more comfortable with thinking Sam can rebound from a bad season at 22, then Okposo at 30. Sometimes a bad season is a sign of things to come (Moulson), but with young guys, it is more likely a step in their development.

EDIT: Although I’m defending Reinhart, if we re-drafted 2014, where would Sam go? 10th? Worse? Right now I have 12 players I think are just as good if not better. Ekblad, Draisaitl, Ehlers, Nylander, Larkin, Pastrank, Point, Arvidsson, Tuch, Fiala, Schmaltz and even Labanc (SJ).

Fyi:

Cap for 2018-19

Forwards under contract - 7 (ROR, Jack, KO, Erod, Girgensons, Larsson and Pommers) - $32.825. Plus $3.517 for Moulson and CoHo.

RFA’s of Note (CJ Smith and Reinhart)

UFA’s of note (Pouliot & Nolan)

Defense under contract - 6 (Risto, Bogo, Scandella, McCabe, Baloo and GUHLE) - $19.240.

RFA’s Antipin

Goalie - Ullmark - $750K

RFA - Lehner

14 players total for 56.332. If the Cap goes to 80 mill, that leaves us 23.668 for 8 players.

Other RFAs in the system: Fasching, Bailey, Baptiste, Nelson, Wilson and Malone.

New players already signed: PU

Prospects who might be signed: Budik, Borgen, Fitzgerald, Mittelstadt, Glotov, Hagel, and Olofsson.

Good point on Hodgkin and good breakdown. Thanks.

Yup, that’s a complete joke.

I officially endorse this post 100%.

Maybe something is going on in Reinhart's personal life that is affecting his quality of play and his work ethic? He is still only 22 years old, which makes him the second youngest player on the roster. He's currently on pace for about 25 points this season. No way is Sam normally a 25 point-per-year NHL player. He averaged about 45 for his first two full seasons. Sam was never drafted 2nd overall because of his blazing speed or his powerful shot. He was supposed to be this cerebral center who would poetically distribute the puck to the bigger, faster, stronger wingers. The problem with this idea is that a player like Reinhart can't really maximize his own talent until the talent around him improves from its current standing.

The league passed him by. He’ll never be the player he was drafted to be.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.