Jbot Do Something Already Part 2

GASabresIUFAN

Team cohesiveness in Rochester?

Yep.

Don't be surprised if Jbot is a buyer at the deadline for Rochester.  

What about this for a crazy scenario.  At the deadline, Jbot recalls Nylander and makes a deal for a another proven AHLer to take Nylander's place in Roch.  The goal of such a move would be to put Nylander under direct supervisor of Wowie and staff and to see how he plays with skill players like Jack and ROR.  

Yep.

What about this for a crazy scenario.  At the deadline, Jbot recalls Nylander and makes a deal for a another proven AHLer to take Nylander's place in Roch.  The goal of such a move would be to put Nylander under direct supervisor of Wowie and staff and to see how he plays with skill players like Jack and ROR.

Except he may well have been stamped as garbage by now. I'm no GM or hockey insider, but still.

Yep.

What about this for a crazy scenario. At the deadline, Jbot recalls Nylander and makes a deal for a another proven AHLer to take Nylander's place in Roch. The goal of such a move would be to put Nylander under direct supervisor of Wowie and staff and to see how he plays with skill players like Jack and ROR.

I still think Nylander will be a better NHL player than AHL player. But right now that feels like more of a fleeting hope than a well-reasoned position.

I still think Nylander will be a better NHL player than AHL player. But right now that feels like more of a fleeting hope than a well-reasoned position.

Not really.  Nylander is a high skill player.  Which forward on Rochester has complimentary skills?  None.  Sure I'd like to see him dominate in the AHL, but it's quite possible that the players there aren't the right fit to bring out his best play.  

The analogy I'd use is a .275 hitter in AAA who becomes a consistent .300 hitter in the big leagues.  As a kid, I asked Sy Williams (long-time friend of my family), former chief scout of the Tigers and the American League, why this happens and he said it is because the pitchers in the big leagues are more often around the plate.  That means a contact hitter's chances of success actually increase because the pitchers are better and not as wild. 

Let's hope. But truly not sure from where the hope springs. If it's from his brother, Keith Gretzky anyone? If it's from his dad AND brother, Marty Howe anyone? (Actually, if Nylander ends up as useful as Marty Howe at this point, it's a win. Sadly.)

Looking at his stats in the AHL, that's not really saying a lot now, is it?

Wonder if Nylander gets moved at the deadline or in the summer. Either way, I'd bet anything he's gone

Nylander is 19 and isn’t being traded. Either is 22 year old Reinhart. The caveat is if some makes a stupid offer for one or both such as Arizona giving us their 1st this season for Nylander. Trading them would be panic moves and that isn’t Jbot’s style.

I see a much move measured approach from Jbot. Lehner and Reinhart are RFAs and don’t need to be moved at the deadline. Kane might be our only deadline deal. In fact, either the Lebrun or Friedman article mentioned Jbot wants to keep Lehner. Lehner Ullmark tandem next year.

With 14 signed for next year and about 25 mill in cap space, Jbot has lots of roster openings and cap space to take a measured approach.

I would like to see Percy get a look see. He’s 24, a former 1st rd pick and has done a fine job for the Amerks. It couldn’t hurt to reward him with a recall?

Edited by Georgia Flakt

Nylander is 19 and isn’t being traded. Either is 22 year old Reinhart. The caveat is if some makes a stupid offer for one or both such as Arizona giving us their 1st this season for Nylander. Trading them would be panic moves and that isn’t Jbot’s style.

I see a much move measured approach from Jbot. Lehner and Reinhart are RFAs and don’t need to be moved at the deadline. Kane might be our only deadline deal. In fact, either the Lebrun or Friedman article mentioned Jbot wants to keep Lehner. Lehner Ullmark tandem next year.

With 14 signed for next year and about 25 mill in cap space, Jbot has lots of roster openings and cap space to take a measured approach.

I would like to see Percy get a look see. He’s 24, a former 1st rd pick and has done a fine job for the Amerks. It couldn’t hurt to reward him with a recall?

I agree with most of this except I could see more of our pending UFA's getting moved in addition to Kane. Nobody will want Johnson but I could see Gorges getting a 4th or 5th rounder and guys like Pouliot or Falk and maybe even Nolan fetching even lower picks (6th or 7th rounders).

I agree with most of this except I could see more of our pending UFA's getting moved in addition to Kane. Nobody will want Johnson but I could see Gorges getting a 4th or 5th rounder and guys like Pouliot or Falk and maybe even Nolan fetching even lower picks (6th or 7th rounders).

That's fine, but we need to get replacements back, because Jbot is committed to keeping Roch intact for the playoffs.  That means we aren't calling up guys to replace traded UFAs.

That's fine, but we need to get replacements back, because Jbot is committed to keeping Roch intact for the playoffs.  That means we aren't calling up guys to replace traded UFAs.

Works for me. They could always take short term cap dumps from other teams as well as claiming anyone and everyone who gets placed on waivers. Since we're at the bottom of the heap we'd have dibbs on everyone that Phoenix doesn't claim first.

Nylander is 19 and isn’t being traded. Either is 22 year old Reinhart. 

JBOT didn't draft either of them... if he doesn't think they'll develop into a role that fits his vision for this team, then he'll trade them while he can still get a nice return.

He'd be a fool to sit on his hands while their values plummet every time they take the ice.  

I wouldn’t be so sure.

And teams are calling on Reinhart:

https://twitter.com/thechargingbuf/status/951308552139870208

McKenzie also reiterated that Eichel is the only untouchable. And that ROR and Risto would need a “blow them out of the water” offer.

What’s interesting is the last time this was mentioned, Reinhart was included in that group, of players they’d need a huge offer to trade.

Not anymore, apparently. I think something gets done for him within the next 8 days. Just a guess.

JBOT didn't draft either of them... if he doesn't think they'll develop into a role that fits his vision for this team, then he'll trade them while he can still get a nice return.

He'd be a fool to sit on his hands while their values plummet every time they take the ice.

I think Sabres fans are really overestimating how much Nylander's value is "plummeting." He's 19 and in the AHL. Most CHL prospects don't even play an AHL game until they're 20.

He could still get going there and be back on track. I think getting to play with Asplund again (and maybe Olofsson too) could help. I don't discount that he was a teenager on a dysfunctional team last year and still trying to find his way now.

I wouldn’t be so sure.

And teams are calling on Reinhart:

https://twitter.com/thechargingbuf/status/951308552139870208

McKenzie also reiterated that Eichel is the only untouchable. And that ROR and Risto would need a “blow them out of the water” offer.

What’s interesting is the last time this was mentioned, Reinhart was included in that group, of players they’d need a huge offer to trade.

Not anymore, apparently. I think something gets done for him within the next 8 days. Just a guess.

There is a huge difference between available for trade and will be traded.  Are Reinhart and Nylander available? Sure, but not for a bag of pucks and a minor league player.  To get Reinhart, someone is going to have offer a substantial package including a top 4 D and near ready prospect or two.  Nylander will cost a top 10 draft pick, because Robviously is correct, most 19 year olds are a year or 2 from even playing in the A.  

After what you saw tonight are Guhle and Ullmark available?  

Edited by Georgia Flakt

There is a huge difference between available for trade and will be traded.  Are Reinhart and Nylander available? Sure, but not for a bag of pucks and a minor league player.  To get Reinhart, someone is going to have offer a substantial package including a top 4 D and near ready prospect or two.  Nylander will cost a top 10 draft pick, because Robviously is correct, most 19 year olds are a year or 2 from even playing in the A.  

That all seems pretty accurate. To the last part, “everyone’s got a price” - Million Dollar Man. (Different context, but oh well)

Nylander will cost a top 10 draft pick, because Robviously is correct, most 19 year olds are a year or 2 from even playing in the A. 

This seems right, and for that price no one would trade for him. Just better to keep him and develop him.

If Nylander is dealt, i think it'd be part of some mega deal. But i don't see them moving him to be honest.

Agreed. For comparison, William Nylander had played 22 NHL games by age 20, scoring 6 goals and 7 assists. So our Nylander is a bit behind in development at 4 games, 0 goals, and 1 assist...but by no means is he alarmingly behind. 

Agreed. For comparison, William Nylander had played 22 NHL games by age 20, scoring 6 goals and 7 assists. So our Nylander is a bit behind in development at 4 games, 0 goals, and 1 assist...but by no means is he alarmingly behind.

But William also scored 77 points in 75 AHL games. Alex has 34 points in 82 AHL games.

• 1 year later...
45 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Rfa constipation blocking things

I'm growing skeptical it's really holding everything up, and that the lack of trades isn't more just like every other time word around the league says "trades are coming!" and they never happen, see: drafts, deadlines, etc. 

Teams must have a rough idea of what these guys are going to cost, usually within a couple million or less. If it's completely prohibitive from moves being made, especially when teams can exceed the cap during the off-season, they probably aren't doing a very good job of planning. 

Also, more to the point, "RFA constipation" doesn't count as a valid excuse for Botterill should he fail to upgrade the team to the point where we see substantial improvement. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.