Jbot Do Something Already Part 2

GASabresIUFAN

He had more shots, but everybody who plays with Jack looks a little better and gets more chances. He stays on that line he might even get a few points, but it'll be because of Jack.

That’s ok. If Sam plays well and starts finishing some and setting up Jack for some goals, then all the better. The question isn’t who benefits from playing with Jack, but who is the best rw to play with Jack. My guess is right now that player is Samson.

Has Jbot given any interviews lately about the state of the team?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Well we differ on that one, cause I think while Jack makes Reinhart better, Reinhart makes Jack worse. Definitely not the guy I want Jack growing with and developing his game/habits. 

Here is the problem.  Wowie has to fill out his lineup card

Here is what he really has

Line 1 Kane Jack ?????

Line 2 ????? ROR Okposo

Line 3 ????? ????? ?????

Line 4 ????? ????? ?????

Here are your candidates for each of the "?????," assuming everyone is healthy

RW Candidates - Pommers, Samson, Bailey, Baptiste, Griffith, EROD and Nolan

3rd and 4th Line Centers - Samson, Girgensons, Larsson, and Josefson

LW Candidates: Pouliot, Bailey, Moulson, Erod

Are you seeing the problem?  Pommers is 34 and can't play 17-18 a night.  Pouliot is a nice depth piece but wasn't signed to be a top 6 forward here.  Girgensons? Larsson?  Your only real option for Jack's RW is Samson.  

Until we bet more depth, Reino is best left on Jack’s left wing. It was interesting to watch Jack get more shot opportunities last night as Reino passed the pick, yet still got a bunch of shots himself. I’d like to see Housley leave that line together for a weel orctwo to see if Jack and Reino can get going.

Agree, Reino isn’t going anywhere and is playing himself into a nice value contract for the Sabres. Still only 22. If he ends up as Jack RW long-term is that really a problem?

Right wing.

Also, the only thing Reinhart is playing himself into currently is the minimum raise.

He's got 5 points. Complete non-factor right now. Hope he gets on track soon.

I'd like to see him get an extended look on RW with Jack now though.

Edited by Thorny

Believe me I know we are thin and don't have many options which is why I'd try to be more creative until we get new blood and the Mittlestadts or whoevers to arrive.  

In the short term, I'd play both Pommer and Bailey with Jack and Kane. bailey more against more physical teams but both of them. I'd have the coaches keep telling Bailey over and over use the body, play the man, hit more, play physical, open up space for Jack.

Now here's the crazy idea. When the D is healthier I'm going to try Beaulieu on Jack's wing. Why? Cause he is big and strong for a forward and has great speed. He can go to the front, screen, open up space and dig in the corners. We need a big physical body who can keep up with Jack to make that line function better. Until we have one, that's the best fit I have. 

I was thinking about when changes will come. I can see a trade for someone like Theodore happening sooner then later, but most changes will come closer to the deadline. I have a feeling that Jbot will utilize our cap space for the remainder of the season to help contenders clear space for their playoff runs while picking up picks and prospects in the process.

For example Philly might want to dump a Raffl, who’d be a decent depth player for us, to clear cap and we might be able to steal Sam Morin in the process.

I also think the market and the competition to acquire decent players will pick up after the new year.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Right wing.

Also, the only thing Reinhart is playing himself into currently is the minimum raise.

He's got 5 points. Complete non-factor right now. Hope he gets on track soon.

I'd like to see him get an extended look on RW with Jack now though.

He's maybe number one on my trade list. Only problem is that right now he's not worth much. I think Kane is going to be traded anyway so may as well sooner than later because this team's going nowhere this year. We're playing the lottery game again it seems.

We are turning on Phil quicker than we turned on DDB.... Something ain't smelling right

Well we turned over 10 players on this roster, including making a good trade for Scandella and Pommers, improved the backup goalie (in theory) and signing a very effective Pouliot.  Jbot also added a huge group of experienced D, most with at least some NHL experience (Tennyson, Redmond, to go with Falk and Fedun) to supplement the acquisitions of Antipin and Baloo.  Our D should also be better.    However instead of being on pace to exceed last years 78 pts, we are on pace to earn 59 pts.  Our PP has gone from great to terrible.  Our scoring has dropped from 2.4 to less the 2 goals a game.  This should not be happening.

Granted losing Risto has hurt and not having Bogo at all has forced AHL players into the lineup consistently which has hurt.  But nothing excuses being this bad.  Nothing. 

No, you did not. You got treated like a red-headed pokey for saying the roster was the only problem and/or it was impossible to judge Bylsma with that roster. Not an insignificant difference there.

Wait a minute. I thought it was a playoff roster but for that Dreaded Dreary Dan. At least that's what I was told ad nauseam.

Edited by SwampD

Wait a minute. I thought it was a playoff roster but for that Dreaded Dreary Dan. At least that's what I was told ad nauseam.

Some people believed this, but it was hardly everyone. I thought they were, at best, a bubble team (I believe this was the prevailing sentiment). And once Eichel went down, I personally felt it killed the playoff hopes. I said last year I thought Bylsma cost the team about 5-6 points. Certainly not the difference between being a contender and drafting in the lottery, but also not trivial.

Besides, firing a bad coach does not inherently mean the replacement will be any good.

Some people believed this, but it was hardly everyone. I thought they were, at best, a bubble team (I believe this was the prevailing sentiment). And once Eichel went down, I personally felt it killed the playoff hopes. I said last year I thought Bylsma cost the team about 5-6 points. Certainly not the difference between being a contender and drafting in the lottery, but also not trivial.

Besides, firing a bad coach does not inherently mean the replacement will be any good.

I think there is some revisionist history going on here. Every thread last year, every thread, was a Bylsma bash.

I'll contend that that 5-6 points was made up for by his "conservative" system giving us some games we wouldn't have had given that roster. See, this tango is fun.

And our AHL defense right now has me holding off on truly judging Phil.

Although,... Jack and Evander still taking up the same ice has me wondering.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.