GDT: Sabres VS Vancouver, 7 pm ET, 20/10/17

MODO Hockey

Here's why it's a silly comparison:

Myers was excellent in his first season, then never again as good.

Risto has literally improved every year he's been in the league.

So far this year that trend hasn't continued, but come on.

This.

Another ham handed take by the Hamburgalar

Edited by LGR4GM

Here's why it's a silly comparison:

Myers was excellent in his first season, then never again as good.

Risto has literally improved every year he's been in the league.

So far this year that trend hasn't continued, but come on.

This year hasn't been particularly good for him, but he is still the guy the coach trusts the most while learning the system & he's had a good partner (Scandella) for only 2 (3?) games to date.

Let's see how Ristolainen is doing after he's gotten 3-6 more games w/ Scandella.

Would still like to see his TOI decrease at least 3 minutes/game if not 4, but when the 2nd pairing is Beaulieu & Tennyson that ain't happening.

And on a different tangent, is Beaulieu's last name completely appropriate or what? :lol:

Edited by Taro T

Eric Gundbranson suspended for one game. Out tonight for the Sabres

From the morning skate report: "The Kazakhstan native is still adjusting to North America, having spent his entire playing career in Russia, and said that having an alternative view from the press box in recent games has been helpful."

So yeah, they wanted to get Antipin some time in the press box to watch and learn. Makes sense.

Plus playing him at home, Housley has better control over his zone starts

The media creates controversy to grab eyeballs.

Hamilton is wrong on Ristolainen, pure and simple.  I have no concern and regardless of this year (where everything is still coming together) I've seen enough out of Ristolainen to believe he's going to be extremely good for a long time.  I think, at times, hes actually trying to play TOO physical and not smart enough.

It'll come... the underlying skill set is there.

The media creates controversy to grab eyeballs.

Hamilton is wrong on Ristolainen, pure and simple.  I have no concern and regardless of this year (where everything is still coming together) I've seen enough out of Ristolainen to believe he's going to be extremely good for a long time.  I think, at times, hes actually trying to play TOO physical and not smart enough.

It'll come... the underlying skill set is there.

R5-R5 and the rest of the defense are only barely beginning to get acclimated to the scheme and their (constantly changing) partners. The are the droids we're looking for.

That said... let's start generating some more PP points, Risto. Start feeding Jack with some easy to one-time passes.

Anyone hear Hamilton opine that Risto is going the way of Myers?

It made me so irrationally angry to hear that. Mostly because it was just so lazy. "Myers started out good, and then sucked. Same pattern with Risto so far."

Was Schoeny great his first few seasons? Ramsey? Hajt?

I did hear it, and yes, it was #lazyHammy.  However, there was IMHO a disconcerting grain of truth:  just because a young defenseman has a nice start to his career, it doesn't mean that he will improve every year and become a bona fide star.  Sometimes they just don't have it between the ears, and the physical tools aren't guided by a hockey brain that knows what to do (hello Bogo).

I dearly hope this isn't the case with Risto, but we should all appreciate that it's quite possible. 

I think I'm leaning towards this being the case more than Risto being a true 1D. But I have to say that when I watch defensemen around the league, I'm okay with it, provided Botterill can acquire other solid top four pieces over time through various means. Numminen-Tallinder-Lydman-McKee/Kalinin-Campbell and whoever else there was was a fine defensive corps, and Risto could easily play in a group like that and do well. Most of those guys were brought into the organization from the outside too. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

This is one of the most annoying things about GR. Sal Capaccaio as the Bills Beat Reporter is energetic, engages on social media, provides top rate analysis of Bills.

Compare that to Hammy, whose engagement on social media consists of telling someone to watch their language when that person said someone is playing like doo doo. And that's the term they used was doo doo. And his analysis is Risto is becoming Tyler Myers. Seriously??

Banged up, first game back after a road trip, young team, new coach... the excuses are baked into this one. I'm probably too lazy today to do it, but I might look at that first game back stat. It's part of hockey lore that's it a tough game to win, but I suspect, with the Sabres at least, it's baloney.

Also — for those who will be posting in the thread during the game, I have a very big surprise for everyone. VERY BIG. Huge, even.

Vancouver is on a back to back, so it evens out.

So Gorges and Fedun are both scratched? 

Why call up Fedun just to sit him out?

And whassup with Lehner?

Josefson went to IR so there was an extra space on the 23-man roster. I guess Fedun was next man up.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.