GDT: Sabres VS Vancouver, 7 pm ET, 20/10/17

MODO Hockey

I'd trust Lehner over Johnson but Ullmark over both! 

From Jordan LaBarber

#SabresNHL_2017_2018_Buff_Sabres.png morning skate is underway at KeyBank Center. Taylor Fedun took fourth rush on D. First 3 pairs were: Scandella-Risto

Beaulieu-Tennyson

McCabe-Antipin

Please make the McCabe - Antipin pairing work well. I'd love to see vintage McCabe teamed up with the Antipin we saw in the KHL highlights.

After last game... This power play is now the ultimate power play in the universe. I suggest we use it.

Eichel: power play goal. Moulson: power play goal. Vancouver: no shorthanded goal.

No matter anything else.  If the bolded above is not true at the end of the night then it's going to be a sad night.

Please make the McCabe - Antipin pairing work well. I'd love to see vintage McCabe teamed up with the Antipin we saw in the KHL highlights.

I'm been hoping for this since the summer.

Our defense is distinctly lacking in nastiness. 

This. I can't believe I'm pining for Bogo to punt Tennyson.

And a bit of Falk too. His last exhibition game he brought nasty in spades.

At the very least I need Risto doing more of it. 

He did it for one game consistently, IIRC. I remember noting it. I don't think we've seen it since. I've asked before... how much of that is the coach's call? Remember the game (LA?) where the Sabres threw the body around and it reaped rewards? Have we really seen it since?

He did it for one game consistently, IIRC. I remember noting it. I don't think we've seen it since. I've asked before... how much of that is the coach's call? Remember the game (LA?) where the Sabres threw the body around and it reaped rewards? Have we really seen it since?

I saw aggressive Risto only in the opener, and mostly zombie Risto since then.

I saw aggressive Risto only in the opener, and mostly zombie Risto since then.

Anyone hear Hamilton opine that Risto is going the way of Myers?

It made me so irrationally angry to hear that. Mostly because it was just so lazy. "Myers started out good, and then sucked. Same pattern with Risto so far."

It made me so irrationally angry to hear that. Mostly because it was just so lazy. "Myers started out good, and then sucked. Same pattern with Risto so far."

It's lazy because Myers was also susceptible to huge brain farts, which Risto at least seems more resistant to. But the whole "this guy is huge so he should be tough thing" is rearing its ugly head, and Hamilton isn't wrong in that respect.

From the morning skate report:  "The Kazakhstan native is still adjusting to North America, having spent his entire playing career in Russia, and said that having an alternative view from the press box in recent games has been helpful."

So yeah, they wanted to get Antipin some time in the press box to watch and learn.  Makes sense.

I think Antipin will have a good game and McCabe will be better.

Agreed. Antipin I really like. Watch his head in the defensive zone, he is constantly checking to make sure he knows where everyone is and where the puck is. He doesn't look bad, he looks green.  Patience. Give him 20 NHL games before we worry about anything he does. 

I did hear it, and yes, it was #lazyHammy.  However, there was IMHO a disconcerting grain of truth:  just because a young defenseman has a nice start to his career, it doesn't mean that he will improve every year and become a bona fide star.  Sometimes they just don't have it between the ears, and the physical tools aren't guided by a hockey brain that knows what to do (hello Bogo).

I dearly hope this isn't the case with Risto, but we should all appreciate that it's quite possible. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.