GDT: Sabres VS Vancouver, 7 pm ET, 20/10/17

MODO Hockey

I really could not believe how terrible they still look. After Housley laid in to them and to see the worst performance of the year is....wow, I mean wow, this is worse than the tank.

I was there, and sat in the Chet and Muffy seats with a good, active group of fans. All around me: Howls of absolute disbelief.

Also, Tennyson? Eee gads.

If the Sabres were good, wouldn't you be crediting them?

Not much. I'll give them credit or blame over the long term for the health and success of the franchise. Risto made sloppy passes while McCabe didn't clear the net and the officials made an atrocious call regarding offsides. On the slight chance that you are a curmudgeon, should I blame your parents?

Passing, sloppy passing. And I mean terribly sloppy. Especially in their own end and trying to break out.

A guy 2 rows down from me just took to hollering “SKATES!” for every time a pass went into a teammate’s skates. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.

My take: That comes down to focus and attention to detail. Maybe system plays a role — not sure where players are going to be, etc. But, to my untrained eye, it looked like poor focus.

Kane on Eichel's wing just has to stop.

Bailey looks like he wants to stay.

Reinhart looked lost last night.

Yes 3x.

That Rolston rush with 15 and 9 was more than I could bear.

Bailey’s working his arse off, but I’m not sure he’s apt to be a full-time NHLer on a good team. Maybe?

Something is rotten in the state of Samson. I don’t give a fig what the advanced metrics say about last night. Put him back with 15 stat.

A guy 2 rows down from me just took to hollering “SKATES!” for every time a pass went into a teammate’s skates. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.

My take: That comes down to focus and attention to detail. Maybe system plays a role — not sure where players are going to be, etc. But, to my untrained eye, it looked like poor focus.

Yes 3x.

That Rolston rush with 15 and 9 was more than I could bear.

Bailey’s working his arse off, but I’m not sure he’s apt to be a full-time NHLer on a good team. Maybe?

Something is rotten in the state of Samson. I don’t give a fig what the advanced metrics say about last night. Put him back with 15 stat.

Snorting laughs.

Look to the cookie, Elaine, look to the cookie.

Only read the 1st 5 pages, so apologies if any of this is repeating points already made.

3 plays tonight summed up the game & what is wrong w/ this team.

- The shortie. Yes, Beaulieu had another horrible turnover that sprung the 2-on-1. But, he at least hustled back & was keeping the puck carrier from getting a clean shot off. Tennyson could only have played that worse if he let the 2 'Nucks pass by him creating a 2-on-0, which it essentially was. He's got to get to that rebound. He is arguably the worst D-man at 2-on-1's in the league right now. (Which is, admittedly, an unfair criticism as he belongs in the AHL & it really isn't his fault injuries have put him on a 2nd pairing. But Housley has to realize what he is and cut down on his minutes. Put Pominville in at the 2PP 2nd point & save a couple minutes of D usage per game.)

Mid-to-late in the 2nd, Eichel wins a faceoff w/ Kane in front to the far side. Eichel gives him a hard pass on the tape & Kane fumbles the pass so badly it is in the corner & then soon out of the zone. Even a weak shot there would likely at worst caused a rebound & could even have gone in. Can somebody PLEASE show that play (or the other 12+ times essentially that exact same play happened this season) to Housley & then also show him all roughly 6 passes that Kane has sent to Eichel through 8 games & then ask him wtf he insists on keeping those 2 on the same line? (Q is not applicable on the PK - me likely that pairing. :lol:)

And then very late in the 2nd, Sabres get a shot from high as they enter the zone & a big rebound kicks out to Markstom's left. Reinhart is flying in w/ a full head of steam but decides rather than make contact w/ Horvat & get a solid scoring chance/ shot if he can leverage the speed & angle he has, he simply concedes the puck. Again wtf!

Lots of other stuff wrong last night (like taking almost 50 minutes to have as many shots as the 'Nucks had through 20 :angry:) & very few guys don't deserve criticism. But those 3 plays sadly sum it all up.

Sam is just Sam. A kid from good pedigree who has had a hand up his whole life. He'll never work hard for anything. He's always relied on his talent and his name.

At one point Vancouver really wanted him what with being a hometown boy and all. Now I'm not sure you'd get Dorset. The funny thing is some people consider him as a future #1 center. By some I mean the Vancouver media.We are grooming him to be a 3rd line winger. We ask far too little of our players then are surprised they never put it all together. I'm not picking on Sam specifically he's just a great metaphor for the state of this team. We have lots of talented guys that don't work hard and lots of less talented guys that sometimes work hard with a sprinkling of bad contracts coached by a first time coach thats steered by a first time G.M. And we're soft. Not a lack of guys that fight soft but soft on the puck guys that can't win battles soft. Guys that say they hate losing but certainly don't look that way on the bench. We have guys that won't tell their team mates to pick it up out there. Maybe they're afraid to upset a buddy or maybe they're more the wallflower type. We need one or two guys on this team that get in your face on the bench and lead by example. Shanahan types. There is absolutely no leadership. Anyways Thats my rant. I could be wrong but thats what I'm seeing. 

I don't think Tennyson was at fault on the shortie.  He was playing the pass across, which he was supposed to do, not the rebound.  I think the next man to hustle back is supposed to get there for the rebound.

Here's something else about Tennyson:  he started the 2nd period, with Scandella.  It had to have been a message from Howie to Risto.  I thought to myself at that moment:  "Ladies and gentlemen:  your new #1 defenseman, Matt Tennyson!"

I don't think Tennyson was at fault on the shortie.  He was playing the pass across, which he was supposed to do, not the rebound.  I think the next man to hustle back is supposed to get there for the rebound.

Here's something else about Tennyson:  he started the 2nd period, with Scandella.  It had to have been a message from Howie to Risto.  I thought to myself at that moment:  "Ladies and gentlemen:  your new #1 defenseman, Matt Tennyson!"

I'll say it again, just because Smell omitted it, I miss Cody Fransen.

Ralston Rush. Awesome.

...and awful.

I'll say it again, just because Smell omitted it, I miss Cody Fransen.

Ralston Rush. Awesome.

...and awful.

I meant to say this too, Cody would be our second best defenseman right now and best if you don't like Scandella

Only read the 1st 5 pages, so apologies if any of this is repeating points already made.

Mid-to-late in the 2nd, Eichel wins a faceoff w/ Kane in front to the far side. Eichel gives him a hard pass on the tape & Kane fumbles the pass so badly it is in the corner & then soon out of the zone. Even a weak shot there would likely at worst caused a rebound & could even have gone in. Can somebody PLEASE show that play (or the other 12+ times essentially that exact same play happened this season) to Housley & then also show him all roughly 6 passes that Kane has sent to Eichel through 8 games & then ask him wtf he insists on keeping those 2 on the same line? (Q is not applicable on the PK - me likely that pairing. :lol:)

Taro, I freaked out at this too. I managed to grab a quick clip on the replay.

I can go back and find it again if you want the clip to be longer.

Except the pass would've gone across had the 'Nuck opted for that option. He didn't play the pass well & he definitely didn't play the rebound.

Interesting your interpretatin of splitting up Tennyson/Beaulieu & Ristolainen/Scandella. You saw it as a knock on Risto. From the 300's it looked like a belated realization that Beaulieu & Tennyson are awful as a 5v5 pairing. See 'Nucks 1st goal for an example.

When the bench was shortened down the stretch, Risto & Marco were a pair again. Had thought Beaulieu had been basically moved to 5/6; didn't realize he was hurt. No idea when/how it happened.

Except the pass would've gone across had the 'Nuck opted for that option. He didn't play the pass well & he definitely didn't play the rebound.

Interesting your interpretatin of splitting up Tennyson/Beaulieu & Ristolainen/Scandella. You saw it as a knock on Risto. From the 300's it looked like a belated realization that Beaulieu & Tennyson are awful as a 5v5 pairing. See 'Nucks 1st goal for an example.

When the bench was shortened down the stretch, Risto & Marco were a pair again. Had thought Beaulieu had been basically moved to 5/6; didn't realize he was hurt. No idea when/how it happened.

I'm not sure, but I thought Risto was reunited with Scandella shortly after that 1st shift in the 2nd period -- that's why I thought it was a message to Risto.

I'm not sure, but I thought Risto was reunited with Scandella shortly after that 1st shift in the 2nd period -- that's why I thought it was a message to Risto.

Might have been. Scandella & Tennyson were out together more than just that 1st shift, but was more focusing on the shortcomings of the F's than the D pairings.

I had recorded this garbage, but didn't watch it - this morning I scanned thru and then played the last 4 minutes of the game - I believe they managed only 1 shot on goal in that span, despite 2 minutes of empty net play.   Vancouver just looked so much more in control those closing minutes of the 3rd.    Didn't really even look like a man advantage.

What I saw was like the worst of the Ted Nolan Tank years, but even worse - a team with no fire or heart.  Roster was garbage in those years, but they generally played hard when Nolan was coaching.  Didn't even see that - most of the Sabres roster was just going thru the motions.    

This is  way more than just needing to 'learn a new system'.  Other teams with new coaches, and new systems, this season are better than this.  

I had recorded this garbage, but didn't watch it - this morning I scanned thru and then played the last 4 minutes of the game - I believe they managed only 1 shot on goal in that span, despite 2 minutes of empty net play.   Vancouver just looked so much more in control those closing minutes of the 3rd.    Didn't really even look like a man advantage.

What I saw was like the worst of the Ted Nolan Tank years, but even worse - a team with no fire or heart.  Roster was garbage in those years, but they generally played hard when Nolan was coaching.  Didn't even see that - most of the Sabres roster was just going thru the motions.    

This is  way more than just needing to 'learn a new system'.  Other teams with new coaches, and new systems, this season are better than this.  

This is a myth, go back and read those GDTs if you don't remember the games

I haven’t watched this team play in almost two years. Between being busy with 5 kids, and crappy on ice product, I just don’t care. I follow along, read the box scores online, recaps from TBN, and I’m so sick of seeing “we just weren’t prepared” or “I’ve got to be better.” Eff this team and organization. When they start playing like they give a then maybe I’ll tune back in. Til then, eff them.

I haven’t watched this team play in almost two years. Between being busy with 5 kids, and crappy on ice product, I just don’t care. I follow along, read the box scores online, recaps from TBN, and I’m so sick of seeing “we just weren’t prepared” or “I’ve got to be better.” Eff this team and organization. When they start playing like they give a ###### then maybe I’ll tune back in. Til then, eff them.

Meh.  Give it a day.  It's bound to turn around.  ;)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.