Goaltending Controversy: Robin or Chad... or Linus

LGR4GM

Yeah, that's about where I am.  At this point I don't see a goalie to believe in on this roster.

I think Cal Petersen might have had a shot at the Sabres roster if he'd have signed.

Petersen wasn't going to get a heavy workload in Rochester with Ullmark there.  He's not going to get that in LA either with Jack Campbell there.  Based on the choice he made, I have to assume that he realized he has a long road to becoming an effective NHL regular.

I wanted Chad to start even though I expected the game he had.

The team needs to know that his good play isnt being ignored, it's just that he isn't usually capable of putting up back-to-back good games.

Lehner is, and that's why he's the better choice, if not the right guy.

There are a number of fans who too easily overlook these kind of games from Chad.

Chad's a career backup, Lehner is playing like crap, he flops and teams have learned that. Something has to give. I think We give Ullmark another month in Rochester to see how he does though before using the Nuclear option. 

When is the soft D in front of our goalies going to be added to the discussion?

They might as well rent the spot in front of our crease as a campground.

Before Josh rides out into the sunset, he needs to teach these guys how to do what he did early in the game to the Vegas player in the crease when the puck came by. Any other Sabre defender standing there and it's a tap-in goal.

One of my favorite things to do is putting someone down in front of the net... it sends such a not so subtle message... Ask Mustache..

It sends the same message in the pros as it does in beer league. It takes a special kind of determination/crazy for a guy to keep coming back for more punishment for 60 minutes.

But we also need to support the goaltender. How many odd man rushes has our team given up ytd. We have already allowed 6 shorties. While you hope the goalie can stop many of those chances, no goaltender can stand up to the sheer volume of odd man rushes we have given up.

I’m not saying Lehner is the answer, but we’ll never know unless he gets better play infront of him. For financial reasons, I don’t think Lehner will be back next year regardless, but for this season he gives us the best chance to win each night.

But we also need to support the goaltender. How many odd man rushes has our team given up ytd. We have already allowed 6 shorties. While you hope the goalie can stop many of those chances, no goaltender can stand up to the sheer volume of odd man rushes we have given up.

I’m not saying Lehner is the answer, but we’ll never know unless he gets better play infront of him. For financial reasons, I don’t think Lehner will be back next year regardless, but for this season he gives us the best chance to win each night.

By the end of three seasons, even with a bad defense in front of him, it will be an easy decision IMO. The dude has a few key fundamental weaknesses, most notably that he largely relies on his size and doesn't move to stop pucks. The amount of shots that he should be able to see and track and save but just fly by his frozen shoulders and arms is unreal. He's incredibly weak on the posts and even weaker in his own head. Professional goalie coaches that work with him every day will not simply shrug their shoulders at the end of the year and say "well I dunno because our defense was bad for three years." They will have strong beliefs about whether or not the team should continue with Lehner.

Ocho Cinco looking like Charles Barkley with all the rebounds he producing. I don't notice a lot of the nuance stuff in hockey games but when the goalie is giving up 10 foot rebounds into the slot on every freaking shot it stands out.

Agreed big reason for the collapse in the second... Columbus knew this and purposely went after him shooting for rebounds and crashing the net... Its their game anyway so Chad played to their strenghths and Sabres D wasnt there enough to clear the net.

Why is Johnson getting more starts then Lehner. Like nobody confirms whose going to be starting tomorrow in this league... But yet as of yesterday we know Johnson is starting on saturday? Like wtf is going on

??  Lehner started yesterday.

How's Ullmark looking in Rochester?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.