OT -- Tom Petty

josie

That sucks. I never really considered myself a fan, but at the same time I have a greatest hits album around here that for awhile I sang along to a lot in my car.

Too bad. His music was great for road trips, particularly for cross-country treks on I-90.

I might have to toss on some Traveling Wilburys here between meetings.

So I guess he isn't dead? Just mostly dead? 

not-dead-yet.gif

but seriously... I have no clue. I saw a ton of reputable places besides just TMZ saying he had passed, and now there's just mixed reports everywhere. 

Either way, he's not doing well. :( 

Conflicting reports, but in grave condition.

He's one of my all-time favorites -- since high school.

I saw him a number of times, including in the Aud in 1983 and at Darien Lake in 1987.

He and his band are great in concert.

Please don't go just yet.

He's on my B-list of favorite artists.  But in rocking out on Youtube videos of his, I'm realizing how many of his songs are truly, incredibly, very good.  Maybe he's been on my A-list all this time and I never realized it.  Every song that's coming up on Youtube is more excellent than the last.  He's been the background of much of my life.

Godspeed indeed, Mr. Petty.

Said heartattack yesterday, tried to keep him alive but he had no brain activity and was unresponsive. My favorite song though dark: Mary Jane’s Last Dance.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Mary+Jane%27s+Last+Dance+Tom+Petty&t=iphone&iax=1&ia=videos&iai=juD8GHvPULs

Edited by North Buffalo

I'm sorry but I can't find much sympathy towards Tom Petty with the events of Las Vegas so clearly in my mind. 59 life's are more saddening to me then 1.

I can deal with 1, 59 is so outrageous with all wounded to so hard to fathom... kinda cant deal... especially since watching Pentagon burn from US Capitol windows... that stuff just cant deal. Petty I thought was great road trip music and will be missed.

I'm sorry but I can't find much sympathy towards Tom Petty with the events of Las Vegas so clearly in my mind. 59 life's are more saddening to me then 1.

Petty is like losing an old friend, after a long and good life. He's a friend perhaps you don't see that often, but you still connect and you share plenty of good memories. It makes you sad.

Vegas doesn't make me sad, it makes me furious. On so many levels.

Of all the things I read about Petty, this one struck me as the greatest testament to what a terrific artist (and apparently person) he was - especially the bolded part at the end. This is taken from an interview Stevie Nicks did with Rolling Stone:

In 1976, I'd been in Fleetwood Mac for about a year when I heard Tom Petty's debut. I became a fan right then. I loved the way Tom's Florida swamp-dog voice sounded in cahoots with Mike Campbell's guitar and Benmont Tench's keyboards. Tom had the same influences we had — the Byrds, Neil Young, Crosby, Stills and Nash — but he dropped in lots of serious old blues. And Tom is such a great singer and so charismatic onstage. I became such a fan that if I hadn't been in a band myself, I would have joined that one.

When I started doing my first solo album, Bella Donna, my first thought was, "Who produces Tom Petty?" When they said Jimmy Iovine, I got Jimmy, because I wanted my solo work to be as much like Tom's as possible.

I first met Tom in the studio, and he was pretty much what I expected. There's not a fake bone in his body. Jimmy and Tom decided to give me "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around," which they had written with Campbell. When they showed it to me, I was like, "Is this the right thing to do? I only get 11 songs and one of them won't be mine." And both Tom and Jimmy said to me, in a brutally honest way, "You don't have a single on this record. And here's a single for you."

Tom is a great and loyal friend, but he's also honest like that. In 1994, I had just gotten out of rehab, and Tom and I had dinner. I wanted to make a new record but I was scared. I said to him, "Will you help me write a song or two?" I didn't really expect the reaction I got, which was, "No, I won't. You are one of the premier songwriters in this business. Go home and turn off the radio. Don't be influenced by anything. Just write some great songs — that's what you do." He reinforced that I was still Stevie Nicks. I wrote a song about him I've never recorded, but I will someday. It goes, "Sometimes he's my best friend, even when he's not around."

In 2006, I did 27 shows with him. Tom made me a little platinum sheriff's badge that had 24-karat gold and diamonds across the top and said "To Our Honorary Heartbreaker, Stevie Nicks." On the back it says "To the Only Girl in Our Band." I keep it on my black velvet top hat. It goes with me everywhere. It's probably the most beautiful piece of jewelry a man has ever given me, ever.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.