Sabres Prospects 2017-2018

Doohickie

Rasmus Asplund's four-game point streak comes to an end as Färjestad upends Mora 4-1. Asplund (14:22) won 10 of 18 draws (55.6%)

Asplund: 3g, 2a, in 5games

Oskari Laaksonen through 12 games (Ilves U20): 1-4-5, 18 PIM, -1, 24:26 avg TOI

Laaksonen won't be 19 until July. Will be keeping an eye on David Farrance who the Sabres passed over to take Laaksonen as well. Farrance starts his first year with Boston U. 

Edited by LGR4GM

• 2 weeks later...

Ive watched a few Knights games and their goalie(s) have been atrocious. both have SV% of less than .900 Actually surprised they are even as high as they are.

Mete is on the Canadians, Juolevi sent to Finland to find his game and their #3 Dman  Formenton was just sent back to them this weekend but hasnt played.

I wonder if Pu was sent back to London on work on certain instructions from the Sabres that may be detrimental to his statistical performance? Much like Samson was sent to work on his strength a couple of years ago. That being said, Pu still creates a lot of chances and his speed is evident. Not too worried about him.    34 shots and only 1 goal - maybe a snake-bit like many Sabres?

Edited by Crusader1969

Ive watched a few Knights games and their goalie(s) have been atrocious. both have SV% of less than .900 Actually surprised they are even as high as they are.

Mete is on the Canadians, Juolevi sent to Finland to find his game and their #3 Dman  Formenton was just sent back to them this weekend but hasnt played.

I wonder if Pu was sent back to London on work on certain instructions from the Sabres that may be detrimental to his statistical performance? Much like Samson was sent to work on his strength a couple of years ago. That being said, Pu still creates a lot of chances and his speed is evident. Not too worried about him.    34 shots and only 1 goal - maybe a snake-bit like many Sabres?

He has 34 actual SOG (not shots attempted)? That's just a statistical anomaly them, there's no way it'll stay at 3%. (right?)

http://buffalonews.com/2017/10/16/sabres-prospects-quick-start-borgen-peterson-st-cloud-state/

I was looking at this list of our prospects and Baker's depth chart and I came away further unimpressed with our pipeline.

1) The list of guys who will be NHL players is really small.  Bailey, Mittelstud, Guhle and likely Nylander and Asplund.  Not a long list.  

2) The list of guys who have a legit shot: Baptiste and Fasching, Borgen (?), Pu and Davidsson.  Malone might also eventually get a look as an 4th line grinder.  

3) Former top 3 rounds picks who we can probably write off already: Karabacek, Cornel, Hurley and Martin.

4) Potential surprises: Weissbach and maybe Fitzgerald. College FA CJ Smith is having a good start and might be a useful LW.

5) Are goalie prospects are in the ECHL (Johansson) and a tier 2 Finnish league (Luukkonen).    

Baker list 34 prospects on his depth chart. 

Edited by GASabresFan

Hagel's got 12 points in 9 games in Red Deer. Speedy left winger, liked him in camp. Would be a good system fit, we'll see if he can amount to something.

I forgot about him as a potential long-shot.  Baker has him 3rd on the LW depth behind Nylander and Davidsson.  That said Estephen put up (as is putting up) big numbers in Jrs.  

I forgot about him as a potential long-shot.  Baker has him 3rd on the LW depth behind Nylander and Davidsson.  That said Estephen put up (as is putting up) big numbers in Jrs.

But the knock on Giorgio was skating. Not so on Hagel. He's quick.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/10/16/sabres-prospects-quick-start-borgen-peterson-st-cloud-state/

I was looking at this list of our prospects and Baker's depth chart and I came away further unimpressed with our pipeline.

1) The list of guys who will be NHL players is really small.  Bailey, Mittelstud, Guhle and likely Nylander and Asplund.  Not a long list.  

2) The list of guys who have a legit shot: Baptiste and Fasching, Borgen (?), Pu and Davidsson.  Malone might also eventually get a look as an 4th line grinder.  

3) Former top 3 rounds picks who we can probably write off already: Karabacek, Cornel, Hurley and Martin.

4) Potential surprises: Weissbach and maybe Fitzgerald. College FA CJ Smith is having a good start and might be a useful LW.

5) Are goalie prospects are in the ECHL (Johansson) and a tier 2 Finnish league (Luukkonen).    

Baker list 34 prospects on his depth chart. 

I agree that's its a little thin but I would also argue that its still in the top 10 of the league. 

It will really dry up next season once Nylander, Asplund, Mittelstadt, (Svechnikov?, and Guhle all make the Sabres.

We always want to compare to Toronto:

Here are there top prospects as per an article on Hockey Writers - order is debatable

1) Timmothy Liljegren - probably a NHL player but still considered a tire fire in his own end

2)Kasperi Kapanen – RW/LW  - will probably be a top 9 player for them soon

3) Carl Grundstrom – LW  probably will end up in the NHL playing but wouldn't consider him top 6 candidate

4)  Andreas Johnsson - LW   already 22 and is a steal for the 7th round but not again more of a bottom 6 guy

5) Andreas Borgman – LD  another 22 year old FA pickup, with Leafs and played in 4 games Jer

6) Calle Rosén – LD  23 year old, played 3 games for Leafs this season

7) Jeremy Bracco - RW  with the Marlies - a marginal NHL prospect at this point

8) Travis Dermott – LD  lots of high expectations for Dermott, playing with Marlies - could be top 4

IMO, I would take Mittelstadt, Nylander and Guhle over their entire prospect pool,

Edited by Crusader1969

I will bet you money Botterill won't put that many rookies on a team

It’s highly unlikely that Asplund makes the Sabres in his first season in NA without spending some time in Roch. We’ll also have to see how the big prospects progress. However, Crusader is right about there being a large number of jobs available next season.

Without even knowing how this season will play out, there are 12 guys (RFAs and UFA’s) on the current Sabres roster including 7 forwards, 3 D and both goalies. I also wouldn’t put much stock in Moulson or Bogo returning next season either. Potentially all 14 of those jobs might be a available.

I agree that's its a little thin but I would also argue that its still in the top 10 of the league. 

It will really dry up next season once Nylander, Asplund, Mittelstadt, (Svechnikov?, and Guhle all make the Sabres.

We always want to compare to Toronto:

Here are there top prospects as per an article on Hockey Writers - order is debatable

1) Timmothy Liljegren - probably a NHL player but still considered a tire fire in his own end

2)Kasperi Kapanen – RW/LW  - will probably be a top 9 player for them soon

3) Carl Grundstrom – LW  probably will end up in the NHL playing but wouldn't consider him top 6 candidate

4)  Andreas Johnsson - LW   already 22 and is a steal for the 7th round but not again more of a bottom 6 guy

5) Andreas Borgman – LD  another 22 year old FA pickup, with Leafs and played in 4 games Jer

6) Calle Rosén – LD  23 year old, played 3 games for Leafs this season

7) Jeremy Bracco - RW  with the Marlies - a marginal NHL prospect at this point

8) Travis Dermott – LD  lots of high expectations for Dermott, playing with Marlies - could be top 4

IMO, I would take Mittelstadt, Nylander and Guhle over their entire prospect pool,

To the bolded: Boo.

What have Nylander and Guhle shown to prove they are in any way superior to Kapanen and Lilijgren?

True, Id probably take Mittelstadt, Kapanen and Liljegren over the entire pool even if you put Nylander and Guhle on the Leafs.

but still give the nod to Nylander / Guhle over Kapanen / Liljegren  but i'll admit it could go either way. 

So how many ufas are there?

7 UFA's and 5 RFA's

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.