Marco Scandella/Jason Pominville traded to Sabres for Ennis/Foligno

Brawndo

Waking up this morning and thinking about this trade again, and its not the Darcy-level fleecing I was thinking it was when it was first announced, but man, its just such a solid trade. Good value, take on some salary while you can afford it, flesh out the D, don't give up anything you'll reaaaally miss. I like it so much.

Trades should help both teams.

Wild definitely got cap relief and bottom-six heft. Hopefully Ennis rebounds for them and replaces some of JP's offence.

Pominville has to be better than last years Ennis and hopefully allows Sam to move inside.

Scandella fills our biggest need.

If I was a wild fan , I would never want to see a trade rumour with the sabres pop up again.

I think this was a very good trade for the Wild. They unload a bad contract (Pommer) and get rid of, essentially, their 5th defenseman who is injury prone for two younger, cheaper forwards.

The Sabres wanted Scandella in this deal. He's been playing in the Pred's division, so Housley knows his game. We were forced to take on Pommer's (bad) contract as a provision for securing Scandella. It had nothing to do with wanting Pommer back, although Pommer and Botterill were teammates for a couple of season with the Amerks, so I'm sure they are friends.

If it was all on Bylsma, why is JBOT making these moves?   I guarantee he replaces at least half of the bottom 6, and he's already replaced half the defense.     I don't think Bylsma had much to work with and he's getting a bad rap for it.

I didn't say it was all on Bylsma - I said his system and agreed that his chalk board coaching style didn't work.  He also managed to lose the locker room and should take the rap for that.

Everyone knows player changes were going/needed to happen - that's why the moves are being made.  Did you think last years lineup would stay the same?  Is Bylsma who'd you rather have coaching this team? 

I think this was a very good trade for the Wild. They unload a bad contract (Pommer) and get rid of, essentially, their 5th defenseman who is injury prone for two younger, cheaper forwards.

The Sabres wanted Scandella in this deal. He's been playing in the Pred's division, so Housley knows his game. We were forced to take on Pommer's (bad) contract as a provision for securing Scandella. It had nothing to do with wanting Pommer back, although Pommer and Botterill were teammates for a couple of season with the Amerks, so I'm sure they are friends.

Good post.

Except one major factor. Ennis is owed 4.6 for the next 2 years an has only given us 74g and 24 total pts the last 2 seasons. For essentially $1mill for each of the next 2 years we have secured a winger who has averaged 76games and 42 pts the last 2 season.

This trade was a win for us. Not the Wild.

I think we need to remember that Pommer's trend indicates that he could go Moulson on us at any moment, while Ennis is cheaper and 7 years younger and had scored 20 goals 3 times in the 5 years prior to his concussion.

There you go, sending out them negative vibes. I've had nothing but good thoughts about this trade :P

I think we need to remember that Pommer's trend indicates that he could go Moulson on us at any moment, while Ennis is cheaper and 7 years younger and had scored 20 goals 3 times in the 5 years prior to his concussion.

Tim Connolly did pretty well before his concussion, too.

Just think, since last year we have potentially 4 new starting dmen: a former first rounder in Booya, a solid Russian import, a legit top 4 dman ins scandella and Guhle, though I'm convinced they want him to be top 2 dman in Rochester. Tbots is also being aggressive in restocking Rochester, to create a winning atmosphere there. Want I'm intrigued about is he has a ton of cap space to work with. What's he going to do with it, if anything?

Pommers actually played real hockey last year. Ennis hasn't looked like an NHLer for years.

We are slowly approaching 1000 days since Ennis was last able to be considered a functioning NHLer. Pominville, again, in a diminished role, put up more ES points than any Sabre last season. I'm not expecting that next year, but I expect more than a walking corpse. 

The reason Minny fans are so livid is that the total cap savings are so small to justify giving up Scandella for such a meh player when defensemen are at a premium. 

We are slowly approaching 1000 days since Ennis was last able to be considered a functioning NHLer. Pominville, again, in a diminished role, put up more ES points than any Sabre last season. I'm not expecting that next year, but I expect more than a walking corpse.

The reason Minny fans are so livid is that the total cap savings are so small to justify giving up Scandella for such a meh player when defensemen are at a premium.

Exactly. They could have freed up more cap space just moving Scandella for futures than they got through the trade. Apparently they've been after Foligno for a couple years though.

Pominville is an upgrade over Ennis. Now if we could only find a way to move Moulson.

Edited by Drunkard

Care to make an avatar bet on their production?

Those are high stakes.

I'll do it if the loser's avatar becomes a photo of the higher-scoring player.

Also, it should be their 2-year production, not one year. That is too long to wait though, so we can make it just the first year although it favors you.

Pommers actually played real hockey last year. Ennis hasn't looked like an NHLer for years.

Ennis has been lost for the past 2 seasons because of a severe concussion in the first of those 2 seasons. He had 21 and 20 goals in the 2 seasons before the concussion.

He's a real top 6 forward with elite speed when healthy. He was getting his legs back at the end of last year. If he gets the timing back in his hands, he will be effective.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.