Marco Scandella/Jason Pominville traded to Sabres for Ennis/Foligno

Brawndo

Ennis has been lost for the past 2 seasons because of a severe concussion in the first of those 2 seasons. He had 21 and 20 goals in the 2 seasons before the concussion.

He's a real top 6 forward with elite speed when healthy. He was getting his legs back at the end of last year. If he gets the timing back in his hands, he will be effective.

Yes, players have come back from concussions and played well, but what Tyler went through just feels like Connolly, Patty, and Mark Savard. The Sabres could not afford to wait and see any longer. Minn has so more offensive punch they can afford to take the chance.

freeman--if you look at the trade as Ennis for Scandella and Foligno for Pominville, does that make it look better to you?

Yes, although I don't think the Sabres could've gotten Scandella for Ennis. I also don't think JBott would've (or should've) traded Ennis for Pommer.

I should clarify that I like the trade. I think there is a very good possibility that Scandella becomes Risto's partner, and I think the Sabres paid a pretty reasonable price. But part of that price was the spread between Ennis and Pommer, which IMHO worked in Minny's favor, despite the prevailing opinion here.

Those are high stakes.

I'll do it if the loser's avatar becomes a photo of the higher-scoring player.

Also, it should be their 2-year production, not one year. That is too long to wait though, so we can make it just the first year although it favors you.

Ennis has been lost for the past 2 seasons because of a severe concussion in the first of those 2 seasons. He had 21 and 20 goals in the 2 seasons before the concussion.

He's a real top 6 forward with elite speed when healthy. He was getting his legs back at the end of last year. If he gets the timing back in his hands, he will be effective.

I shall take this bet with delight. How long should the avatar run? For the playoffs? Or all the way to the anniversary of the trade?

I shall take this bet with delight. How long should the avatar run? For the playoffs? Or all the way to the anniversary of the trade?

Sounds good. Let's say for the playoffs.

One other stipulation: If Ennis has more goals but Pommer has more points, it's a push and we both have to change avatars.

But Ennis has only shown Pominville's production last season one time ever, and that time was in 2010

I think goals is a better metric of production than points.

One other stipulation: If Ennis has more goals but Pommer has more points, it's a push and we both have to change avatars.

So Ennis's 1 goal in his last 26 games has you hopeful? :P

When Ennis was last a 20/21 goal scorer, Pommers had 30/18. Then Ennis has 8 goals in 74 games the past two years, Pommers 24 in 153, or 50% more goals per game. And boatloads more assists than Tyler. 

And how far does this goals being a metric for production go? Do you take Ovechkin's past season over McDavid's? E. Kane's over Nick Backstrom, Getzlaf, Johansen? Or does being a center factor in for those guys?

Edited by Randall Flagg

When Ennis was last a 20/21 goal scorer, Pommers had 30/18. Then Ennis has 8 goals in 74 games the past two years, Pommers 24 in 153, or 50% more goals per game. And boatloads more assists than Tyler.

And how far does this goals being a metric for production go? Do you take Ovechkin's past season over McDavid's? E. Kane's over Nick Backstrom, Getzlaf, Johansen? Or does being a center factor in for those guys?

Stop using facts, it only matters what people believe these days Edited by Beer

Pominville has always been better than Ennis, as in every year they've been in the league together.

I do agree that Ennis has greater upside, but he also comes with far more risk.

It is entirely possible Pominville could give us two years of Moulson-level production.

That would still be better than what Ennis gave us the past two years.

Under-mentioned aspect to this trade: Pominville had a no movement clause that forced Minny to protect him in the expansion draft.

He waived it because Buffalo.

Edited by dudacek

OK.  I did say that Ennis' last 2 seasons have been lost due to injury.

The evaluation is really the likelihood of Ennis bouncing back vs the likelihood that Pommer's 18 goals - 11 goals - 13 goals doesn't indicate a Moulson-level plummet in effectiveness.

As for goals vs points -- when you're comparing middle 6 wingers, I think goals need to be weighted pretty heavily. 

Pominville has always been better than Ennis, as in every year they've been in the league together.

I do agree that Ennis has greater upside, but he also comes with far more risk.

It is entirely possible Pominville could give us two years of Moulson-level production.

That would still be better than what Ennis gave us the past two years.

Under-mentioned aspect to this trade: Pominville had a no movement clause that forced Minny to protect him in the expansion draft.

He waived it because Buffalo.

On the NMC -- I think I heard that Pommer's deal is that he had to provide a list of 10 teams he would accept, and the Sabres were one of them.

On the NMC -- I think I heard that Pommer's deal is that he had to provide a list of 10 teams he would accept, and the Sabres were one of them.

Your take certainly is possible / likely, but far less romantic.

Can we just say it went down as our friend on the wrong coast of Canada said, eh?

It's on like Donkey Kong. I'll point out the last time we bet it was on Risto's contract, where you were left bloodied and humiliated. Your belief in Ennis is going to lead to much the same result. Edited by TrueBlueGED

But no one wants to come here, right?  /s

It's on like Donkey Kong. I'll point out the last time we bet it was on Risto's contract, where you were left bloodied and humiliated. Your belief in Ennis is going to lead to much the same result.

Do NOT curse Pommer, and thereby the Sabres, too, with your hubris.

It's on like Donkey Kong. I'll point out the last time we bet it was on Risto's contract, where you were left bloodied and humiliated. Your belief in Ennis is going to lead to much the same result.

Yikes. Did I pay up? What did we bet?

Yes, players have come back from concussions and played well, but what Tyler went through just feels like Connolly, Patty, and Mark Savard. The Sabres could not afford to wait and see any longer. Minn has so more offensive punch they can afford to take the chance.

And lets not forget Ennis was productive at a time when his speed really made him stand out...now he is simply just like half the other forwards when it comes to speed...the rest of the league has caught up to him, and his other skills don't help his productivity

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.