Chad Johnson Signs 1 Year 2.5M Deal with Sabres

Brawndo

Lehner is the worst shootout goalie I've ever seen. He's pretty much dead last in the league year-over-year in shootout stops. That's a killer for a team fighting for a playoff spot.

Agreed. We should just bring in a backup for shootouts at this point. He's a solid nhl goalie but awful in that particular area.

In fairness, the shootout shouldn't even be in the game but thats a whole other topic lol. ☺

I just think with Lehner's injury history and contract uncertainty, Botterill values securing a quality backup.

If Lehner goes to arbitration, there is a possibility he gets awarded a contract of 5-6 Million. The Sabres would probably run from that

If Lehner goes to arbitration, there is a possibility he gets awarded a contract of 5-6 Million. The Sabres would probably run from that

What comparables do you see out there leading to that?

I see $4 as a given, but $5 as the high end.

I'm not sure they walk away since it'd only be 1-2 years, but definitely in the cards. And given the Jones contract, it's not crazy to think Lehner could be awarded in that ballpark.

What comparables do you see out there leading to that?

I see $4 as a given, but $5 as the high end.

See: Jones, Martin.

I'm not sure they walk away since it'd only be 1-2 years, but definitely in the cards. And given the Jones contract, it's not crazy to think Lehner could be awarded in that ballpark.

See: Jones, Martin.

I missed this. Just happen today?

And ouch. He is an excellent comparable.

I am willing to make an avatar bet or monetary bet that Lehner is the starter here next year. But then I think he's #actuallygood

You're on. Avatar bet. If Lehner is gone by game 1 you have to change to an avatar of my choosing until the holiday roster freeze. And vice versa for me if he's still here.

Bet is nullified if he's traded during the season before the holiday roster freeze.

Interesting quotes from Johnson in this Bill Hoppe piece.

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-goalie-chad-johnson-unfinished-business-buffalo/

This doesn't sound like a guy who is coming here to be a backup. This sounds like a guy who thinks he's got a shot at being the starter again...

If he outplays Lehner, so be it.

If he outplays Lehner, so be it.

That may be the plan. Use Johnson as a way of making the decision on Lehner. It might devalue him in a trade but maybe you get him a lot cheaper while he's still an RFA.

Edited by d4rksabre

Interesting quotes from Johnson in this Bill Hoppe piece.

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-goalie-chad-johnson-unfinished-business-buffalo/

This doesn't sound like a guy who is coming here to be a backup. This sounds like a guy who thinks he's got a shot at being the starter again...

I really think that he was brought back to challenge for the starting position.  I have a feeling that the new GM is not as sold on Lehner as the old GM.  We shall see what happens, but I would say that he has a legit shot at the starter position, which, in turn, may really motivate Lehner.

I really think that he was brought back to challenge for the starting position.  I have a feeling that the new GM is not as sold on Lehner as the old GM.  We shall see what happens, but I would say that he has a legit shot at the starter position, which, in turn, may really motivate Lehner.

Maybe that was the point all along.  With Ullmark, there was a distinct pecking order.  With Johnson, not so much.  Lehner will be pushed, and that's a good thing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.