Chad Johnson Signs 1 Year 2.5M Deal with Sabres

Brawndo

My guess is that Ullmark is first callup, but this gives him a chance to play every day instead of being the clear backup.

Looks like the Amerks are shaping up to be much better next season. It would be good for Linus to have an improved supporting cast if he is indeed headed for the A. He learned to be a workhorse last year. Now he needs to experience the wins.

Interesting. Wonder if there was something to those trader murmurs--Johnson and Ullmark combined probably get what, little more than half of what Lehner may? But what team even needs a starting goalie right now?

And both are likely a lot better in the shootouts than Lehner who has the lowest career save percentage of any goalie in the shootout.  He alone cost us a bunch of points last year by allowing everyone to score in shootouts.

Sabrespace has always been weird about goalies.

Without comment on Lehner, does anyone think Johnson can be a 30-plus win goalie on a contender?

With our goalie coach?  Yeah.  When is the last time a goalie didn't play out of his mind under Allen's tutelage?

Edited by matter2003

What comparables do you see out there leading to that?

I see $4 as a given, but $5 as the high end.

I'm not sure they walk away since it'd only be 1-2 years, but definitely in the cards. And given the Jones contract, it's not crazy to think Lehner could be awarded in that ballpark.

See: Jones, Martin.

They have to compare using players with similar free agent status. I don't think Jones compares because he's not an RFA and wouldn't be at the end of his prior deal. 

Edited by Lanny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.