Chad Johnson Signs 1 Year 2.5M Deal with Sabres

Brawndo

Something odd this way comes.

Why give Ullmark a 1 way and protect him if he's going to be in Rochester this year?

If Johnson is signed, Lehner or Johnson get hurt, call up Ullmark, then, when he gets sent down he'll have to go through waivers, no?

Somethings not adding up if my assessment is correct.

Why give Ullmark a 1 way and protect him if he's going to be in Rochester this year?

If Johnson is signed, Lehner or Johnson get hurt, call up Ullmark, then, when he gets sent down he'll have to go through waivers, no?

Extra money they'll pay Ullmark (which isn't a ton more) was a fair price to pay to disincentivise Vegas from taking him.

Ullmark is still waivers exempt this season.  Which makes all of this make more sense. 

I think Botts hoped with the AHL starter spot open he could woo Petersen to stay, since he left he'll just keep Ullmark there another year so Johansson doesn't have to start out of the gate. And sign Johnson as a suitable backup, in case of injury we'd still have 2 NHL experienced goalies and not need to scramble to find one.

I'm beginning to believe the talk that GMJB is making about team leadership (upper management) being slow and deliberate in making moves on the big club and rebuilding Rochester. It wouldn't surprise me if all the young guys, Bailey, Fasching, Babtiste, Nylander, Guhle, Ullmark, Fedun, Falk etc.... all end up in Lake Ontario land for further seasoning unless someone just makes a drastic impression on HCPH or there's another rash of injuries to start the year. Let some of the crappy contracts play out another year, teach the young guys how to play Housley's style in Rochester and learn how to win up there. Then pull a Laffs and bring everyone up at the same time after the trade deadline rids you of some experienced but bad contract players.

Baptiste and Fasching have already paid there dues. They will develop no further unless you raise the bar on competition. Both should be on the big club or dealt because you can overcook anything including prospects.

I like the idea of one top nine spot set aside for Baptiste Bailey Fasching and Nylander to battle for.

Doesn't mean one or more of the others can't earn a spot too by bumping a veteran, but I like the idea of a defined carrot and a battle to earn it.

Personally, I think Baptiste will surprise some. And I think Fasching's groin has made people forget he made this squad out of training camp last year, ahead of Carrier.

Edited by dudacek

For as long as I can remember the Sabres had strong goaltending, or at least above average relative to the league. I think some of us are taking for granted how demoralizing it is to have a good team with a bad goalie. You think Miller's WTF Wave/soft goals were bad...

I miss the days of Miller. Going to most likely be a long time til we get a goalie like him again. He let in some softies sure but we've all seen him stand on his head, many, many times.

You just wait for the sensation of Ullmark. It will come if he is given the chance

I still believe this. I think adapting to N.A. being on a crap team and coming back from hip surgery all have contributed to a battle on Ullmarks part to play like he can. I expect big things from him this year.

I wonder if this means Lehner is on his way out. Or, they want Ullmark to learn Housley's system full-time in the AHL rather than sporadically in the NHL.

I think it means they plan on winning some hockey games this year and that if Lehner or Ullmark got hurt the season would have been over. kasdorf and Johansen were the next two up.

2.5 is a lot for a backup, isn't it?

Yes, but it's only one year. Edited by dudacek

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.