Sabres pick #8 Casey Mittlestadt

spndnchz

The VO2 Max test. (how big is your human carburetor?) ..... Isn't that pretty much genetically determined? I believe it can be improved with fitness, but not much. It concerns me that he's dead last in VO2 Max. at the combine. And the only test that looked good from the combine was fatigue index........ which if you're starting with a high output is great, but if you're starting from a low output.... is not quite so impressive. So..... he'll have blazing speed for about 1/2 a shift and then be tanked..... wrong word.. sorry.

The VO2 Max test. (how big is your human carburetor?) ..... Isn't that pretty much genetically determined? I believe it can be improved with fitness, but not much. It concerns me that he's dead last in VO2 Max. at the combine. And the only test that looked good from the combine was fatigue index........ which if you're starting with a high output is great, but if you're starting from a low output.... is not quite so impressive. So..... he'll have blazing speed for about 1/2 a shift and then be tanked..... wrong word.. sorry.

That is my concern.  There was some discussion of the validity of the combine tests leading up to the draft.  My understanding is that VO2 is a pretty important measure. 

Will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

That is my concern.  There was some discussion of the validity of the combine tests leading up to the draft.  My understanding is that VO2 is a pretty important measure. 

Will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

V02 is for as long as you can go, better test on bike for hockey would be 30-40 seconds full max, then 1-2 min recovery, and again say for 20

min

dudacek, I respect your opinions. If you're putting this guy in the company of Eichel, Reinhart, Ristolainen, McKee, Wideman, Biron, Tallinder, Afinogenov, Miller, Pominville, Roy, and, of course, Mark Mancari and David Cooper, I'm expecting a very, very good hockey player.

I'll admit it, I laughed.

I envision him as Jack's LW of the future. So I don't think he will muddy the Reinhart situation any. But that's just my guess

That's what I was thinking too. Imagine if we kept ROR as a center though and rolled four scoring lines; Eichel/ ROR/ Sam/ Casey lines? My goodness that's an opposing coach's nightmare. And ROR wouldn't be burdened with over 20 minutes of TOI.

Even if he does, it'll work out fine in the end.

Good point. At the end of this season he'll join us for the playoffs and score a one-handed goal. But we are ultimately dispatched in the second round. We burn a year of his contact (other no pull-up guy style). But we reconvene. And attack. And the following season we face our second-round nemesis. Best them. And redeem the Cup and the goodness. I can do that.

Sorry if this has been thrown out there in this thread, but does this pick make a Reinhart trade more probable?

In addition to this consistency, scouts really like his awareness. He thinks the game at a high level, always working to put teammates in great positions and never getting rattled by bigger players. He’s heading to the University of Minnesota next year, and there are worse places he could be going. He’s got Kyle Connor one-and-done written all over him, assuming he even goes to school at all. He has NHL size right now, if his listings of 6’1” and 200 pounds are accurate.

Mittelstadt has the makings of a top line center in the NHL, as he has shown an awareness and playmaking ability that teams would covet next to their best goal scorers. That’s not to say he can’t score goals himself, either. He has the speed, work ethic, and smarts to be a great two-way player who can excel offensively. One scout I read (see below) compared him to Tyler Seguin, which is interesting considering the Stars pick at #3.

Because that sure sounds like Reinhart to me

https://www.jacketscannon.com/2017/5/11/15623244/2017-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-casey-mittelstadt-all-the-tools

Edited by WildCard

This is purely speculative, but does the Casey pick have any ramifications for Sam as far as future 2C is concerned, long term? Also I'm over my fit, BPA is fine and I'm not a GM. Just wondering how this could affect Sam long term as a top six center. Maybe roll three scoring lines?

Sorry if this has been thrown out there in this thread, but does this pick make a Reinhart trade more probable?

Here is where we stand now in the top 6

Kane ROR Okposo

???? Eichel Reinhart

Here are our top prospects

Nylander Mittelstadt  Bailey

Davidsson  Asplund  Baptiste

??????   Pu              Fasching

I don't really see anyone pushing Reinhart out at 2nd line RW for now.

If we project 2-3 years out

Nylander Eichel Okposo

Mittelstadt ROR Reinhart

Davidsson/Pu Asplund Bailey/Baptiste/Fasching

Edited by GASabresFan

Here is where we stand now in the top 6

Kane ROR Okposo

???? Eichel Reinhart

Here are our top prospects

Nylander Mittelstadt  Bailey

Davidsson  Asplund  Baptiste

??????   Pu              Fasching

I don't really see anyone pushing Reinhart out at 2nd line RW for now.

If we project 2-3 years out

Nylander Eichel Okposo

Mittelstadt ROR Reinhart

Davidsson/Pu Asplund Bailey/Baptiste/Fasching

Mittelstadt seems much more capable of playing wing than Reinhart does, simply for his speed 

It doesn't make a Reinhart trade more likely.

Combine Mittelstadt with Kane's apparent lack of value, and TSN reports saying we'd listen on Reinhart, and I'm not so sure. If Mittelstadt were ready now, I could see him forcing Reinhart out

"Our job, you want to be in a situation where you're developing players and I trust the college route," [botterill] said. "It doesn't mean the junior way isn't a very good way too. Everyone wants to say, 'What's the best way?' There's no best way. But I feel very comfortable with players in college and developing that scenario, and then it's a matter of making sure you're building that relationship over the two, three, four years. 

"We're trying to develop an organization here in Buffalo and Rochester where players do want to come here, where if your drafted here, you're bringing them to development camps, you're interacting with them, and they want to be a part of what we're trying to create up top with Jack [Eichel] and [Rasmus Ristolainen] and [Ryan] O'Reilly."

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/jason-botterill-nhl-draft-sabres-free-agency/c-290142696

Edited by WildCard

That's what I was thinking too. Imagine if we kept ROR as a center though and rolled four scoring lines; Eichel/ ROR/ Sam/ Casey lines? My goodness that's an opposing coach's nightmare. And ROR wouldn't be burdened with over 20 minutes of TOI.

And in that scenario, ROR is really the 4th line "shutdown" center.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.