Sabres pick #8 Casey Mittlestadt

spndnchz

I just remember when we had Risto, Zadorov, McCabe, McNabb in the system with Myers/Ehrhoff around. "Can't wait to pick all the centers in the next two drafts cuz we're loaded on D". That was 3 years ago and now if we don't take defensemen who won't enter their prime for 6 more years we're skrewed 5ever

Ever hear of Brendon Guhle? Zadorov has been so-so, McNabb wasn't good enough to protect in draft, Myers hasn't been good since trade, and Ehrhoff out of league.

Ever hear of Brendon Guhle? Zadorov has been so-so, McNabb wasn't good enough to protect in draft, Myers hasn't been good since trade, and Ehrhoff out of league.

I'm not sure what you're saying in relation to the point of my post.

I'm saying that people are pining for drafting a defense because we are weak there right now, but that is stupid because this player we draft won't be a good NHLer for years, which is far more than enough time for the organizational outlook at any position to shift. 

This is why literally every single professional who does the NHL draft goes BPA no matter what idiot fans think.

Edited by Randall Flagg

Make no mistake, we need immediate improvements to defense. But unless you're taking generational talent, that draft choice won't improve your D the first year.

Take the best player available, fill up the pipeline in later rounds, and address your immediate needs in FA and trades.

As long as the pipeline is addressed in the later rounds, as you say, that's gotta be the approach.

I'm not sure what you're saying in relation to the point of my post.

I'm saying that people are pining for drafting a defense because we are weak there right now, but that is stupid because this player we draft won't be a good NHLer for years, which is far more than enough time for the organizational outlook at any position to shift. 

This is why literally every single professional who does the NHL draft goes BPA no matter what idiot fans think.

How do we know who the BPA is if none of these kids have played at an NHL level? It's such a stupid comment, if the draft is a crap shoot you take a position/positions you're most vulnerable at and you try to improve it. Last I looked our C's were pretty solid, people are saying he'll transition into a winger, I don't even play the game of hockey on a semi pro level so who know, maybe he can't make that leap, we also just drafted that Rasmus Asplund guy last season who was also a C, I really hope this transition to a wing is easy because if not we have many wasted picks about to be coming up oh and our defense still looks like a giant heap of sheet.

Edited by GoPuckYourself

Future Consideration: "A smart, quick and highly skilled center…has a tremendous first-step jump, change of pace and ability to make defenders miss…though not the biggest or strongest player on the ice, he finds success in loose puck battles by using his smarts and insane ability to shield the puck from defenders…never takes a shift off, and has added noticeable muscle and speed this season…will finish chances with a quick release on a wrister or powerful snap shot…puckhandling skills are excellent and he is able to create scoring chances in almost all of his offensive-zone shifts using his great vision and understanding of the game"

Our best prospect, no?

How do we know who the BPA is if none of these kids have played at an NHL level? It's such a stupid comment, if the draft is a crap shoot you take a position/positions you're most vulnerable at and you try to improve it. Last I looked our C's were pretty solid, people are saying he'll transition into a winger, I don't even play the game of hockey on a semi pro level so who know, maybe he can't make that leap, we also just drafted that Rasmus Asplund guy last season who was also a C, I really hope this transition to a wing is easy because if not we have many wasted picks about to be coming up oh and our defense still looks like a giant heap of sheet.

We don't know.  But the GM has done his evaluations and he knows who HE has evaluated to be BPA.  The draft very much IS a crap shoot, which is why there is so much pressure to get evaluations right and pick players that have the best chance of success at the NHL level. It is why you cannot pigeon-hole yourself into drafting for position.  You pick the kid you have have evaluated to be most likely to succeed.  If you have a shortfall positionally, at least you have players you can move to address it.

You know what you get when you draft for perceived need?  You get a draft that features Zach Kassian, Markus Foligno, Brayden McNabb,  we were were soft and targeted a need for tough kids.  Yeah, that worked.  Let;s go out and reach to fill a need.

No such thing as a universal BPA. If there was, Morgan Frost, would be still waiting to be drafted.

Middelstadt is now our top prospect.

there is no such thing as universal BPA.  Which is why a GM and staff good at evaluation is so important.  You have to find the ones that are most likely to succeed, and there is no formula for it.  It certainly hurts if you tie yourself to the idea that you need to find a player most likely to succeed AND it needs to be in position X.

No such thing as a universal BPA. If there was, Morgan Frost, would be still waiting to be drafted.

Middelstadt is now our top prospect.

Nylander and Mittelstadt are 1 and 1a. Not much difference. Guhle might be 1b.

We don't know.  But the GM has done his evaluations and he knows who HE has evaluated to be BPA.  The draft very much IS a crap shoot, which is why there is so much pressure to get evaluations right and pick players that have the best chance of success at the NHL level. It is why you cannot pigeon-hole yourself into drafting for position.  You pick the kid you have have evaluated to be most likely to succeed.  If you have a shortfall positionally, at least you have players you can move to address it.

You know what you get when you draft for perceived need?  You get a draft that features Zach Kassian, Markus Foligno, Brayden McNabb,  we were were soft and targeted a need for tough kids.  Yeah, that worked.  Let;s go out and reach to fill a need.

Fully agreed, though Foligno is as successful as you can hope a 4th rounder to be, no?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.