Rumor: LA Kings interested in Evander Kane

LGR4GM

Adrian Kempe: 6'2" 190lb LW.  95 games for MODO in the SHL. Then 104 games over 2 seasons in the AHL including an extensive call this past season (25games) and he is not yet 21. As a 20year old in those 25 games he scored 2 goals and 4 assists. He has a positive corsi which doesn't mean much because he didn't play in the top 2 lines. He averaged about 10mins even strength ice time so limited playing time. Skates welll, described as a bull on the ice.

Now if you trade Kane you need a LW. Kempe is younger, without the baggage and I think he has more of a playmaking game. It is perfect to get him. Toss in #11 and when are cooking. We could draft Valimaki at #11 and sure it will take another 2 years to see him but I think he projects out to a top 4 defender. Also we still have the expansion draft. We still need scoring. I think the value on Kane is #11 and Kempe at best. 

How do we know anything about this?  I may have missed something in the last week or two.

We don't. The question is will he and for how much? Anything over 6mil per year would bother me. Not because I worry about off ice crap but because I worry about his playmaking and chemistry. Idk Kane is tough call. 

How do we know anything about this?  I may have missed something in the last week or two.

The lead up to the tank has ruined this fanbase.  Every time a player gets anywhere near the end of a contract we want to trade them off.  Maybe some day we will embrace the idea of signing and building with them again.

The lead up to the tank has ruined this fanbase. Every time a player gets anywhere near the end of a contract we want to trade them off. Maybe some day we will embrace the idea of signing and building with them again.

Pfffffft. The desire to trade away useful-but-not-franchise pieces long predates the tank. Roy, Vanek, Pominville, Connolly, Myers, Satan, Hecht, Zhitnik. And more!

Kane to the Kings didn't make sense to me when it was floating around at the deadline - Kings didn't have much in the way of puck-moving D, and they seemed solid with physical wingers.

But from what I read, they want more speed and scoring without sacrificing their toughness and that's Kane to a T.

Forbert and a pick/prospect fits my prediction for a Botterill Kane trade to a "T"

Id also keep an eye on Kale Clague, the Kings 2nd-rounder last year, a small, mobile defenceman who put up some points.

Edited by dudacek

Unless he has no plans on re-signing, which he most certainly seems like he won't.

This is the dilemma. I have a feeling Kane may want to test free agency. This not only means losing him for nothing but also decreases his trade value. Other teams won't give up much for a one year rental so they may want a new deal in place before trading for him. If he's bent on free agency then we're in a tough place.

This is the dilemma. I have a feeling Kane may want to test free agency. This not only means losing him for nothing but also decreases his trade value. Other teams won't give up much for a one year rental so they may want a new deal in place before trading for him. If he's bent on free agency then we're in a tough place.

totally aqree..there probably is no doubt Kane will walk if we hang on to him and then we'll get nothing. I do not think he is all that attached to Buffalo and their fans and it won't be like say Stamkos who has played his whole career with Tampa. Kane will look out for one person and that's himself. We need to seriously explore what we can get for him now...

They don't need to know he's bent on free agency until after a trade.

I just don't understand why everyone wants only puck moving dmen. Yes we were awful in that regard last year and need to improve, but we also need big tuff stay at home dmen.

Remember the 2011 first round against Philly? They camped out in front of Miller and our soft defense didn't do a damn thing about it.

The Sabres will need to take some salary in any deal. LA is nine million under the cap with Toffoli as a RFA, prospects and ELCs coming to Buffalo will not help that.

that is why it makes no sense for LA to be a trading partner...Kane will want BIG bucks as a free agent and LA isn't going to do anything to just have him for next season... 

The lead up to the tank has ruined this fanbase. Every time a player gets anywhere near the end of a contract we want to trade them off. Maybe some day we will embrace the idea of signing and building with them again.

I'm probably unfairly basing this on what I've learned about Evander through social media and the like. He definitely seems to care about the bottom line.

Evander-Kane-Las-Vegas-Cash-Phone-768x50

http://assets3.sportsnet.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/kane-money.jpg

I'm probably unfairly basing this on what I've learned about Evander through social media and the like. He definitely seems to care about the bottom line.

Evander-Kane-Las-Vegas-Cash-Phone-768x50

http://assets3.sportsnet.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/kane-money.jpg

And don't forget, that photo was taken during a lockout. Much like a honey badger, evader don't care lol. He'll seek ufa unless JB overpays him, which I don't see happening.

Slight change but still on topic; if we do extend Kane, how much and how long is reasonable?

They don't need to know he's bent on free agency until after a trade.

Do you really think General managers don't know he's one year from free agency? Come on. He's at this point one year away which makes him a possible one year rental which makes him of less value in a possible trade without some assurance that he will sign a new deal with any team trading for him.

My read on Kane is that he doesn't want to re-sign. Even if he did, I'm with true. We already have Okposo on a big winger contract. We still need to replace his speed/toughness/finishing ability, but I'm willing to gamble on Fasching/Baptiste/Bailey being able to grow into that role. Especially since they'll get to play with a great center pretty much no matter what.

Yeah, none of these guys care about money. That was sarcasm. They all do.

Who will play LW with Kane gone?

Well of course they all do, some more than others. Hence the "hometown discount". Kane seems to have a transient lifestyle. Not like he has kids that would have to change school districts or anything if he moves to another city. Not a knock on the guy, but it is to be considered.

I think the Sabres cannot assume that Okposo will be back until they see him on the ice.

There is a lot we don't know about Kane, most significantly (i) what he's said to the Sabres about signing an extension with them and (ii) what the Sabres think about his ability and willingness to stay out of trouble.

If both of those factors have the right answer, they need to keep him, IMHO.

“Evander Kane, he’s an unrestricted free agent after next season,” Friedman said “and the word is that the LA Kings are one of the teams that’s interested and I think the Sabres are willing to do it if LA and them can strike a deal.” — Friedman.

I don't think that leaves much doubt about the Kings wanting to make something happen.

Left-field wrinkle: we agree to take on that horrible Dustin Brown contract and slot Brown into Brian Gionta's spot on the third line.

Brown plays a couple years before we eventually buy him out.

Not enough of a salary cap expert to know what would have to done to make it make sense (that's Botterill's job)

But something like Moulson and Kane for Brown, #11 and Forbort?

Edited by dudacek

“Evander Kane, he’s an unrestricted free agent after next season,” Friedman said “and the word is that the LA Kings are one of the teams that’s interested and I think the Sabres are willing to do it if LA and them can strike a deal.” — Friedman.

I don't think that leaves much doubt about the Kings wanting to make something happen.

Left-field wrinkle: we agree to take on that horrible Dustin Brown contract and slot Brown into Brian Gionta's spot on the third line.

Not enough of a salary cap expert to know what would have to done to make it make sense (that's Botterill's job)

I'm not a cap expert either but I'd be more than happy with that return.

The only circumstances I accept Brown's contract is if we also get Doughty. The deal is that bad. Five (!!!) more years at just under $6 million?  :sick:  :sick:  :sick:

Yeah, none of these guys care about money. That was sarcasm. They all do.

Who will play LW with Kane gone?

Yea, I'm not going to vilify Kane for being the same as 95% of pro athletes: it's about the money. This is Kane's best chance to sign the biggest contract of his life--he's going to want to cash in. I don't think it should be a stretch to assume this.

As to who plays LW...anyone? The entire point of having elite centers is so you don't have to overpay wingers. Did anyone have a freaking clue who Jake Guentzel or Conor Sheary were before putting up points with Pittsburgh's top guys? Richard Panik? Patrick Maroon? Good wingers are oh so replaceable.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.