Rumor: LA Kings interested in Evander Kane

LGR4GM

Do you really think General managers don't know he's one year from free agency? Come on. He's at this point one year away which makes him a possible one year rental which makes him of less value in a possible trade without some assurance that he will sign a new deal with any team trading for him.

Yes, just like us, they can Google the length of his contract and they'll know when it is up. However, only 2 people (if you include his agent) who know if Kane is "bent" on free agency. Heck, even if GMs knew this, they'd likely say it was situational because he's playing in Buffalo and they'd convince themselves the risk is worth it. It may be situational. We even gave up a 3rd for a player who never played 1 NHL game who publicly said he was bent on hitting FA.

Bear with me on the Brown front:

Paying Brown $800,000 more than Moulson for the next two is a clear upgrade, right?

We also save some more cap because we aren't signing Gionta or anyone like him

The buyout hit for the last three years of Brown is something like $3.7.

Does adding a good player on an entry level deal from pick 11 make up for that?

The only circumstances I accept Brown's contract is if we also get Doughty. The deal is that bad. Five (!!!) more years at just under $6 million? :sick: :sick: :sick:

Yea, I'm not going to vilify Kane for being the same as 95% of pro athletes: it's about the money. This is Kane's best chance to sign the biggest contract of his life--he's going to want to cash in. I don't think it should be a stretch to assume this.

As to who plays LW...anyone? The entire point of having elite centers is so you don't have to overpay wingers. Did anyone have a freaking clue who Jake Guentzel or Conor Sheary were before putting up points with Pittsburgh's top guys? Richard Panik? Patrick Maroon? Good wingers are oh so replaceable.

If there were good LWs under Sabre contract I would agree that it is no big deal to move Kane.

And I think that putting mediocre wingers on Malkin and Crosby's lines are still a good bit different than putting them on Eichel and RORs line. I'll buy that we can make mediocre wingers put up numbers when it actually happens once.

I just think that anyone who can't imagine our team with Kane moving forward is in for a rude awakening. He'll be traded this off season or next trade deadline. I don't want to lose him, I want to extend him. But I don't see it happening.

I think the Sabres cannot assume that Okposo will be back until they see him on the ice.

There is a lot we don't know about Kane, most significantly (i) what he's said to the Sabres about signing an extension with them and (ii) what the Sabres think about his ability and willingness to stay out of trouble.

If both of those factors have the right answer, they need to keep him, IMHO.

Agree but the key word is "if".

If there were good LWs under Sabre contract I would agree that it is no big deal to move Kane.

And I think that putting mediocre wingers on Malkin and Crosby's lines are still a good bit different than putting them on Eichel and RORs line. I'll buy that we can make mediocre wingers put up numbers when it actually happens once.

You can't even buy that Eichel is going to pile up the assists?

Unless he's going to walk and it's your best opportunity to turn a depreciating asset into a long term fixed income.

Then sign him. We've's point was a salient one, I don't think we are in a position where we wouldn't be able to sign him, until I hear confirmation that he doesn't have any intention on signing with the Sabres.

The lead up to the tank has ruined this fanbase.  Every time a player gets anywhere near the end of a contract we want to trade them off.  Maybe some day we will embrace the idea of signing and building with them again.

Then sign him. We've's point was a salient one, I don't think we are in a position where we wouldn't be able to sign him, until I hear confirmation that he doesn't have any intention on signing with the Sabres.

If you aren't going to avail yourself to the possibly that he's not signing with Buffalo, we really don't need to have further discussion on this topic.

Did I miss the part of why people want to trade Kane from a team that has a terrible offense to begin with?

Listen, this is Buffalo. Where there is no room for 50 goal scorers, where everyone hates the last guy to score 80 points, and where you always wish to trade your leading goal scorer.

Don't forget he was also the only one who knew how to score 5v5 playing for the worst 5v5 team in the league. 

It shouldn't surprise anybody that people want Kane traded, it's also the same fans that have given Lehner no credit while him and Nilsson finished 4th in the league in save percentage behind one of the worst defenses in the league. 

It's gonna suck with Kane being gone, next the fans will want to trade Eichel. 

Don't forget he was also the only one who knew how to score 5v5 playing for the worst 5v5 team in the league.

It shouldn't surprise anybody that people want Kane traded, it's also the same fans that have given Lehner no credit while him and Nilsson finished 4th in the league in save percentage behind one of the worst defenses in the league.

After Kane' s impressive season those who want to trade him dont want to see him walk for nothing next year. I haven't heard very many say we should trade him because injuries/ off ice stuff since like mid season.

Edited by Saratoga Sabres Fan

Proposal from twitter:

Kane + 8 for Muzzin + 11

Muzzin is signed through 19-20 season at $4M per.

Why would we trade the better player, or more valuable player, and the higher pick, for a lesser talent and a lower pick?  Is this tank penance?

Why would we trade the better player, or more valuable player, and the higher pick, for a lesser talent and a lower pick? Is this tank penance?

Personally I wouldn't advocate for moving down.. But Muzzin is the better player. And value-wise, Muzzin beats out Kane easily. He's signed for $4M a year 3 more years, compared to Kanes 1 year at $5.25.

I'd love to pick up Muzzin from LA. But if Kane is the piece going the other way, we're adding.

Personally I wouldn't advocate for moving down.. But Muzzin is the better player. And value-wise, Muzzin beats out Kane easily. He's signed for $4M a year 3 more years, compared to Kanes 1 year at $5.25.

I'd love to pick up Muzzin from LA. But if Kane is the piece going the other way, we're adding.

Disagree. Muzzin is not a top pair and Kane is a top 6. No way we add that much. Too much fretting about the need to upgrade the d by selling what little o we have. Good player, but not worth Kane and moving down.

Thanks for the red herring hyperbole post. Glad you think the posters considering trading Kane are idiots.

Why would we trade the better player, or more valuable player, and the higher pick, for a lesser talent and a lower pick? Is this tank penance?

I think Kane is the better player but Muzzin more valuable. Contract term remaining a big part of this, also Kane's off ice issues and market for defensemen

Edited by Lanny

Disagree. Muzzin is not a top pair and Kane is a top 6. No way we add that much. Too much fretting about the need to upgrade the d by selling what little o we have. Good player, but not worth Kane and moving down.

I think you're really under rating Muzzin. His offensive output isn't bonafide top pairing, but his transition game is great and his possession stats are elite. Check his wowy with Doughty. He made Drew even better in their time together.

I'd hate to lose Kane. I want to see what he can do in a new system with a young center core that is that much better just because of age and development. But I'm very pessimistic about us re-signing him. Maybe I'm just reading too far into the Pit model, but overpaying to keep wingers isn't something I expect from Botterill.

No way am I trading Kane for futures. But if we could get a defender of Muzzin's caliber due to a down season and a King's front office desperate to spark some offense and deal from a point of strength, I'm doing it.

And because I guess it isn't clear.. I don't hate Jack Eichel just because I am open to moving an impending free agent winger. :P

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.