Rumor: LA Kings interested in Evander Kane

LGR4GM

I don't see us trading Kane for equal value on defense for what he brings to the offense.  In other words we're not going to spend the 6-8 million we'd have to give him on a defender.  Mainly because those type of defensive players rarely become FA's and a team isn't trading that type of defenseman for Kane. 

The Kane decision has to be based on the simple concept of can we afford Kane, upgrade our defense with a 3.5 mil guy and sign Eichel and/or Sam - or do we need Kane's money to accomplish that. 

Kane is a very good hockey player, he's not perfect but he's not easily replaced.  If he leaves or gets traded we'll downgrade the offense for a period of time for reasons necessary for the future vision.

Pfffffft. The desire to trade away useful-but-not-franchise pieces long predates the tank. Roy, Vanek, Pominville, Connolly, Myers, Satan, Hecht, Zhitnik. And more!

Part of the problem is that we consistently put the 'franchise' expectations on those guys. Vanek and Myers being some of the ones in recent memory. When they didn't play beyond their ceiling the "oh-woe-is-me" crowd barked for trades. 

I would give them Kane and #54 for Kempe and #11 but that would be about it. 

Why do you like Kempe so much? Briefly looking at his stats and he's very meh IMO. Plus, unless I read that wrong, he's a winger

Edited by WildCard

Unless the Sabres are under the impression Kane will not re-sign for a reasonable amount, I do not support the trade of Kane. Countless times Eichel expressed signs of frustration when a player he setup couldn't finish. Kane is a proven top 6 forward. He has the numbers to back that up. And tired of people using the off ice issues as a reason to get rid of him. What went down was in the wrong, but what amazes me is had this occurred in the NFL it would've been "forgotten" already. The Sabres need Kane for the goal scoring. Also need to consider playoff hockey. The game is much different in the post-season. Players get away w/ extra physical play. Kane is needed for that.

Edited by GoPre

I also think new GMJBotto comes from a organization that would never keep a player that has caused the ruckus that Kane has...the more I think about it the more I become convinced that the GM will move kane and his pass-problems so they do not happen again in Buffalo...his value is also at the highest right now

Come on Wildcard.  No way we get Juolevi for Kane.

I'm not saying straight up

You know, the one thing I’ve heard is other GMs who say they’ve reached out to Vancouver and been told that this is no guarantee and if Chris Tanev is going anywhere, the price is going to be very high for him. He’s got three more years under contract. He’s a good player at a good price. I don’t think Vancouver is looking to do this unless it’s  a great deal.”

Tanev is headed into the third season of a five-year, $22.25 million contract and his cap hit is $4.45 million.

Friedman had a Monday morning radio hit on Calgary’s Sportsnet 960, where curiosity was piqued about the possibility of the Flames adding a quality blueliner like Tanev.

“I think that if Chris Tanev is getting traded, I would love to see what Vancouver would ask Calgary for,” said Friedman. “I mean, you know this is a pretty old-school league. If you’re trading Chris Tanev to a team in your division, the premium’s got to be really something.”

Friedman and McKenzie evaluate Evander Kane trade potential

In March of 2015, the Canucks acquired Sven Baertschi from the Flames for a second-round pick.

A little less than a year later, in February of 2016, the Flames dealt Markus Granlund to the Canucks for Hunter Shinkaruk.

These swaps were brought up to Friedman as a potential glimmer of hope on the Tanev front.

“Those were change of scenery deals,” countered Friedman. “Sven Baertschi wasn’t going to work in Calgary and so they did the best deal they could. Granlund for Shinkaruk – those two situations weren’t working where they were. Chris Tanev is not ‘not working.’ Chris Tanev is a difference-maker and there is a lot of interest in him. I think Vancouver has made it very clear that wherever he’s going – if he goes – it’s going to be expensive. And I think in a place like Calgary that means even more expensive.

“I don’t think that either team looked at the Baertschi-Granlund deals as, ‘We’re trading a cornerstone player.’ It was simply, ‘We’ve got a few changes of scenery here,’ and sometimes those deals are easier to make. This one would be a lot more difficult for Vancouver and Calgary.”

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/friedman-canucks-want-high-price-tanev-trade/

Bob McKenzie was asked to delve into the possibility of an Evander Kane trade on Monday morning as well.

“I believe Evander Kane will likely be traded by the Buffalo Sabres,” indicated McKenzie on Montreal’s TSN 690. “It’s a new regime with general manager Jason Botterill. He’s a year away from unrestricted free agency. I don’t think he fits into their long-term vision of the team, and he may not be the only guy in Buffalo that’s in that situation.

Bob McKenzie was asked to delve into the possibility of an Evander Kane trade on Monday morning as well.

“I believe Evander Kane will likely be traded by the Buffalo Sabres,” indicated McKenzie on Montreal’s TSN 690. “It’s a new regime with general manager Jason Botterill. He’s a year away from unrestricted free agency. I don’t think he fits into their long-term vision of the team, and he may not be the only guy in Buffalo that’s in that situation.

I, for one, hope they keep him.   He's fast, big, a relentless forechecker and can score.   How does that not fit in the "long term vision" of any team?    He'd leave a huge void.

I, for one, hope they keep him.   He's fast, big, a relentless forechecker and can score.   How does that not fit in the "long term vision" of any team?    He'd leave a huge void.

I don't think (could be wrong) anyone wants Kane gone for the sake of it.  To me, it's partly about cost control.  He's likely going to command close to $7 mil on the open market.  With Eichel and Reinhard up we just don't have that kind of cap space.  Also, he's one of the few worthwhile assets we could use to help our mess of a D. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.