Rumor: LA Kings interested in Evander Kane

LGR4GM

Bob McKenzie was asked to delve into the possibility of an Evander Kane trade on Monday morning as well.

“I believe Evander Kane will likely be traded by the Buffalo Sabres,” indicated McKenzie on Montreal’s TSN 690. “It’s a new regime with general manager Jason Botterill. He’s a year away from unrestricted free agency. I don’t think he fits into their long-term vision of the team, and he may not be the only guy in Buffalo that’s in that situation.

Interesting.  Thanks.

Worth noting though:  McK didn't say that his sources have indicated that JB is shopping Kane -- it sounds more like a conclusion that McK has arrived at based on an outsider's view of the situation.

We'll see.

I don't think (could be wrong) anyone wants Kane gone for the sake of it.  To me, it's partly about cost control.  He's likely going to command close to $7 mil on the open market.  With Eichel and Reinhard up we just don't have that kind of cap space.  Also, he's one of the few worthwhile assets we could use to help our mess of a D. 

But I thought J-BOT was a cap wizard!

The Sabres have $38m in space after next season, and only $24m committed in 2019-20.    That's a ton of room to maneuver... signing Kane to a $5.5-6m/yr isn't going to put this team in cap jail... even with Eichel getting paid.

I'd make an effort to trade Reinhart before I'd look to move Kane.

This was in The Hockey News this past week...discussing trade destinations for Alexander Ovechkin:

"Another to put in the would-he-go camp is Buffalo. Now, traditionally, that’s no-trade clause central. But the Sabres have two amazing centers in Ryan O’Reilly and Jack Eichel, so Ovechkin would have a great running mate, while being assured that the offense was not his burden alone. In return, Washington would get Evander Kane (still young, always controversial, hopefully the Caps are OK with the latter part), prospect Rasmus Asplund and a second-round pick in 2019, conditional on Kane re-signing with the Caps once his deal is done in 2018."

I think there is basically zero percent chance of this happening of course, but in the alternate reality where it occurs I'd be ecstatic. Ovie for 4 years while he is still a goal scoring machine...

This was in The Hockey News this past week...discussing trade destinations for Alexander Ovechkin:

"Another to put in the would-he-go camp is Buffalo. Now, traditionally, that’s no-trade clause central. But the Sabres have two amazing centers in Ryan O’Reilly and Jack Eichel, so Ovechkin would have a great running mate, while being assured that the offense was not his burden alone. In return, Washington would get Evander Kane (still young, always controversial, hopefully the Caps are OK with the latter part), prospect Rasmus Asplund and a second-round pick in 2019, conditional on Kane re-signing with the Caps once his deal is done in 2018."

I think there is basically zero percent chance of this happening of course, but in the alternate reality where it occurs I'd be ecstatic. Ovie for 4 years while he is still a goal scoring machine...

If we throw away any more of our future, this team will suck again in a few years (or still suck)

If we throw away any more of our future, this team will suck again in a few years (or still suck)

Help me out here, I'm reading this a couple of ways. Would you be against this ridiculous trade, or for it?

Interesting.  Thanks.

Worth noting though:  McK didn't say that his sources have indicated that JB is shopping Kane -- it sounds more like a conclusion that McK has arrived at based on an outsider's view of the situation.

We'll see.

You don't see Bobby Mac making statements like that without having heard something.

Friedman's report was even more definitive.

That's two of the big three. We're just waiting on Lebrun (who, oddly enough, had a ton of Sabre insight post-Darcy, and not so much in the past month. Wonder who his source might have been?)

Where there's smoke...

You don't see Bobby Mac making statements like that without having heard something.

Friedman's report was even more definitive.

That's two of the big three. We're just waiting on Lebrun (who, oddly enough, had a ton of Sabre insight post-Darcy, and not so much in the past month. Wonder who his source might have been?)

Where there's smoke...

Certainly McK & Friedman's reports make me think a trade is more likely.  Still, like all hockey reporters, they report plenty of scuttlebutt that doesn't turn into anything despite being reasonably well sourced.

It will be an interesting next 30 days, to be sure. 

Help me out here, I'm reading this a couple of ways. Would you be against this ridiculous trade, or for it?

I am talking about the Ovechkin Rumor. As far as Kane, if they think he is leaving in a year, trade away. I just don't want to give up any more prospects (especially for someone of Ovechkin's age).

Whoa Whoa Whoa.  This is such a far fetched rumor that I don't even want to respond.  But you guys would really have a problem with this trade?  Guy had a 'down' year with 33 goals this past season.  He had scored 50+ in three straight years before that.  He's 31.  I don't think his game has or will fall off a cliff here.  Four more years sounds perfect to me.  What are we giving up?  A guy that may or may not be here after this season, a 2nd round pick and another former 2nd round pick.  What am I missing here?  I'd be shocked if OV doesn't get back to or near 50 next season playing next to Jack.

Whoa Whoa Whoa. This is such a far fetched rumor that I don't even want to respond. But you guys would really have a problem with this trade? Guy had a 'down' year with 33 goals this past season. He had scored 50+ in three straight years before that. He's 31. I don't think his game has or will fall off a cliff here. Four more years sounds perfect to me. What are we giving up? A guy that may or may not be here after this season, a 2nd round pick and another former 2nd round pick. What am I missing here? I'd be shocked if OV doesn't get back to or near 50 next season playing next to Jack.

I would do THAT trade for Ovi in a heartbeat.

There's no way the asking price ends up being that reasonable though.

Whoa Whoa Whoa.  This is such a far fetched rumor that I don't even want to respond.  But you guys would really have a problem with this trade?  Guy had a 'down' year with 33 goals this past season.  He had scored 50+ in three straight years before that.  He's 31.  I don't think his game has or will fall off a cliff here.  Four more years sounds perfect to me.  What are we giving up?  A guy that may or may not be here after this season, a 2nd round pick and another former 2nd round pick.  What am I missing here?  I'd be shocked if OV doesn't get back to or near 50 next season playing next to Jack.

I'd make the deal too (Kane, Asplund, and a 2nd for Ovechkin). Ovechkin at 32, 33, 34, and 35 is still better than Kane on Eichel's wing and it would be fun as hell to watch.

Hell, I'd make the 2nd rounder guaranteed and offer our 1st next year as the conditional sweetener if Kane doesn't re-sign in Washington. It would likely end up a low 1st anyway.

I am talking about the Ovechkin Rumor. As far as Kane, if they think he is leaving in a year, trade away. I just don't want to give up any more prospects (especially for someone of Ovechkin's age).

I'd be willing to wager that Ovi scores more in the next 4 years under contract than that prospect will in his entire NHL career.

The Sabres have more than enough time to work on a contract with Kane. I doubt, at this point, that Kane has come out and said he isn't going to stay here. 

Kane is everything fans cry about the team not having. Even strength scoring, physical, sticks up for teammates, never takes a day off and is most likely the kind of player to excel in the playoffs. If you need a D-man, trade Nylander or Reinhart. This team is as close to being short of offensive talent as it is defensive, especially if Okposo is questionable. 

Even if Kane has said he doesn't want to stay, players have changed their minds before. Winning can go a long ways. If they trade Kane now, it's apparent this team still isn't moving forward. And my patience is waning with loser Buffalo sports teams. If Botterill wants to make his mark, he takes his time and finds a way to add defense while working with Kane. Trading Kane now without letting things play out is a bad move. 

Those Panthers season tickets are starting to look better, day by day. 

The Sabres have more than enough time to work on a contract with Kane. I doubt, at this point, that Kane has come out and said he isn't going to stay here. 

Kane is everything fans cry about the team not having. Even strength scoring, physical, sticks up for teammates, never takes a day off and is most likely the kind of player to excel in the playoffs. If you need a D-man, trade Nylander or Reinhart. This team is as close to being short of offensive talent as it is defensive, especially if Okposo is questionable. 

Even if Kane has said he doesn't want to stay, players have changed their minds before. Winning can go a long ways. If they trade Kane now, it's apparent this team still isn't moving forward. And my patience is waning with loser Buffalo sports teams. If Botterill wants to make his mark, he takes his time and finds a way to add defense while working with Kane. Trading Kane now without letting things play out is a bad move. 

Then go buy them

It's not even possible for Kane to sign an extension until July 1st. There's nothing saying they can agree to an extension in principle now though and wait until July 1st to sign it though. If we can't get him to agree to an Okposo type contract though, we need to go ahead and move him at the draft. Given his injury history we'd risk losing him for nothing if he suffers an injury. Nobody is going to trade for an injured Kane on an expiring contract.

The Caps owner just last week said something along the lines of "Alex is a Capital, he's part of this family" thing. I very highly doubt they move him for something new and shiny.

Agreed. I don't think it's happening. At least not before the last year of his contract. 

Bob McKenzie was asked to delve into the possibility of an Evander Kane trade on Monday morning as well.

“I believe Evander Kane will likely be traded by the Buffalo Sabres,” indicated McKenzie on Montreal’s TSN 690. “It’s a new regime with general manager Jason Botterill. He’s a year away from unrestricted free agency. I don’t think he fits into their long-term vision of the team, and he may not be the only guy in Buffalo that’s in that situation.

I don't think (could be wrong) anyone wants Kane gone for the sake of it.  To me, it's partly about cost control.  He's likely going to command close to $7 mil on the open market.  With Eichel and Reinhard up we just don't have that kind of cap space.  Also, he's one of the few worthwhile assets we could use to help our mess of a D.

There's a good chance HE'S traded, too.

There's a good chance HE'S traded, too.

I would trade him now.  He's shown some promise so he will get a good return.  I see him as Derek Roy 2.0.  He's not fast enough or tough enough for JBOT's style.  Where would he fit into the Penguins or Predators lineup?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.