Rumor: LA Kings interested in Evander Kane

LGR4GM

If we're trading Kane, the best place to trade him is to the WC.

There's just not a ton to like coming back our way.

Soooo let's pick a western team with better defensemen :P

Yes, this. Down year and all, I'd be interested in Muzzin...but for some reason I don't see that happening.

LA is in a position that we can deal Kane to and get a handsome return all things considered. Imagine getting an additional early first rounder, and a proven 25 yo dman for someone who will most likely walk at the end of next season? We could have Forbort and draft two more dmen at #8 and #11. Our d would be looking legit long term.

LA is in a position that we can deal Kane to and get a handsome return all things considered. Imagine getting an additional early first rounder, and a proven 25 yo dman for someone who will most likely walk at the end of next season? We could have Forbort and draft two more dmen at #8 and #11. Our d would be looking legit long term.

I think you're way too excited about one okay season.

A trade with LA for him and #11 would literally transform our defense for a decade. Why wouldn't I be psyched? Hes a gem and hes cheap. Kind of guy JB will want.

I'm curious, if you were to define a tier for Forbort relative to other NHL defensemen, where would you put him? No need to give a number, it's way too hard to try and remember all the defensemen, but who are some other defensemen you'd be equally as excited to have on the Sabres? I'm just a little confused by who you think this guy is haha. 

As for the bolded, I don't see how he could have this big of an impact. He's decent at shot suppression and horrendous at shot generation. His CA/60 relative to the Kings is fine, but his CF/60 relative to the Kings is something like -9% which is ludicrously low. This team's primary need is not a pre-death Josh Gorges at the moment. We allowed fewer shots than average from the area in front of the net where the defensemen are responsible for this past year, and may well have been the worst team in the NHL at moving the puck up the ice as a cohesive unit, something that is driven by defensemen. Derek has shown to be bad at that. 

Furthermore, Botterill's old team acquired guys like Daley and Schultz, who don't suppress shots or even know how to play defense half the time, but who can relentlessly make correct, precise decisions to get the puck in the right direction. I don't see how he's a Botterill kind of player.

I'm curious, if you were to define a tier for Forbort relative to other NHL defensemen, where would you put him? No need to give a number, it's way too hard to try and remember all the defensemen, but who are some other defensemen you'd be equally as excited to have on the Sabres? I'm just a little confused by who you think this guy is haha.

As for the bolded, I don't see how he could have this big of an impact. He's decent at shot suppression and horrendous at shot generation. His CA/60 relative to the Kings is fine, but his CF/60 relative to the Kings is something like -9% which is ludicrously low. This team's primary need is not a pre-death Josh Gorges at the moment. We allowed fewer shots than average from the area in front of the net where the defensemen are responsible for this past year, and may well have been the worst team in the NHL at moving the puck up the ice as a cohesive unit, something that is driven by defensemen. Derek has shown to be bad at that.

Furthermore, Botterill's old team acquired guys like Daley and Schultz, who don't suppress shots or even know how to play defense half the time, but who can relentlessly make correct, precise decisions to get the puck in the right direction. I don't see how he's a Botterill kind of player.

I admit that I don't know hockey as much as you and some of the other guys on here, and some of the stats you just talked about are things that I don't follow on a league wide level. I just know what I have read about him that he's a shutdown defender, I like his size, and am impressed how he stepped into a top minutes role last year.

I say he's a JB kind of guy in that the Pitt model is pay the stars, get creative with supporting cast. Forbort would come cheap. Wasn't referring to puck moving.

I admit that I don't know hockey as much as you and some of the other guys on here, and some of the stats you just talked about are things that I don't follow on a league wide level. I just know what I have read about him that he's a shutdown defender, I like his size, and am impressed how he stepped into a top minutes role last year.

I say he's a JB kind of guy in that the Pitt model is pay the stars, get creative with supporting cast. Forbort would come cheap. Wasn't referring to puck moving.

Then we should pay Kane

Did I miss the part of why people want to trade Kane from a team that has a terrible offense to begin with?

Listen, this is Buffalo. Where there is no room for 50 goal scorers, where everyone hates the last guy to score 80 points, and where you always wish to trade your leading goal scorer.

Listen, this is Buffalo. Where there is no room for 50 goal scorers, where everyone hates the last guy to score 80 points, and where you always wish to trade your leading goal scorer.

because we prefer Rob Ray, Brad May, Matthew Barnaby as opposed to players with talent who can actually play. I guess watching Kane on Eichel's left wing wasn't good enough

That's awful.

Why? We get the better player at a position of greater need, and on a cheaper contract to boot.

Did I miss the part of why people want to trade Kane from a team that has a terrible offense to begin with?

I don't want to give 7 years to a guy with Kane's injury history who will be 28 when the contract kicks in, and I don't want to invest $6 million in cap space in a non-elite winger who isn't a great fit with our best players.

No love for Adrian Kempe?

I just don't know much about him.

Keeping forwards the same and fixing the defense and system will make our offense one of the best out there. These guys could barely enter the zone on the power play and yet were 26% in Jack's 61 games. There's a ton of skill up there.

Yep.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.