Jason Botterill: Hired as New Sabres GM

LGR4GM

I think the essence of cap management is two-fold: 1) not overpaying mid-level players whose production can be replaced, in whole or in sufficient part, by ELCs or cheap journeyman, and 2) not paying for past performance when future performance is likely to be lower. Neither of these things precludes having a large share of the cap tied up in a core of star players. Of course, #2 has a relatively high likelihood of happening, especially when the player in question was a core piece for a title (I'm looking at you Brown and Seabrook).

And makes me wonder again if Reinhart maybe doesn't have much of a role here going forward

Or maybe not much of a role on da wing.

As far as that goes, my takeaway from JBott's remarks on Reino yesterday was that Botteril didn't have a firm view on where Reino should be playing, but that Reino's versatility makes him a valuable contributor.  So I wouldn't be a-tall surprised to see Reino at C.

Well, if he is indeed a winger in Botterill's mind, which appears to be up in the air, he certainly isn't a fast one that can go hard on the forecheck. 

But, wait -

Reino's versatility makes him a valuable contributor.  So I wouldn't be a-tall surprised to see Reino at C.

That's the word he keeps using for Reinhart.

Who kept saying "Patrick Sharp"? We've?

Talked about wingers for Jack and Ryan: he wants fast guys who can forecheck hard and get them the puck.

Bodes well for Carrier, Baptiste, Fasching and Bailey. Not so much Moulson.

Wonder if Girgensons will finally get a shot with Jack?

Have yet to hear his thoughts on Kane.

I think we have a lot of big bodies to fill that role. As you pointed out, winners: Carrier, Baptiste, Fasching, Bailey, but also, Kane, Foligno, Deslauriers, Larsson, Okposo. And you point out Girgensons. I don't think all of them have to make the team, but I think it shows we don't need a roster overhaul, which means I don't think we will see a complete teardown to build the team he wants. It doesn't bode well for Moulson, or Ennis. And not exactly like Nylander fits that mold, but I think it is too early to tell with him. That would be like Chicago saying Patrick Kane doesn't have the size to get in and forecheck so let's get rid of him.

It's been my belief that the team will be better with a new coach. So I never felt a rebuild was necessary. If Antipin and Guhle are added to the defense and are serviceable in the top 4, That is a HUGE ask, but if some of the pressure is taken off Risto and McCabe, they will get better too. Sprinkle Bogo and anyone else in as the 6th defender and I am happy.

I think the above described team makes the playoffs. I look at some of the other playoff teams this year and their rosters are nothing special. Coaching killed us this past year.

Talked about wingers for Jack and Ryan: he wants fast guys who can forecheck hard and get them the puck.

Bodes well for Carrier, Baptiste, Fasching and Bailey. Not so much Moulson.

Wonder if Girgensons will finally get a shot with Jack?

Have yet to hear his thoughts on Kane.

I think it bodes well for CJ Smith and others too, that they'll give them a chance to succeed.  It will be interesting if he follows the steps of Hextall and can get someone "cough cough"  Arizona to buy on someone with a young asset to buy up Ennis, Moulson or Bogosian.

I think it bodes well for CJ Smith and others too, that they'll give them a chance to succeed.  It will be interesting if he follows the steps of Hextall and can get someone "cough cough"  Arizona to buy on someone with a young asset to buy up Ennis, Moulson or Bogosian.

CJ Smith won't play for the Sabres again. He is not close to being an NHL player.

I expect that our GM will allow the new HC to decide where Sam should be in the lineup.

Me too. And having finally gotten the chance to listen to the interview myself, I didn't get the sense at all that he had Reinhart pegged as a wing. It struck me as the type of generic answer a guy would give when he's only familiar with how a player has been used to this point.

Plus, he said it'd take him until this time next year to really know what he has on the roster. New coach and whatnot.

Me too. And having finally gotten the chance to listen to the interview myself, I didn't get the sense at all that he had Reinhart pegged as a wing. It struck me as the type of generic answer a guy would give when he's only familiar with how a player has been used to this point.

Plus, he said it'd take him until this time next year to really know what he has on the roster. New coach and whatnot.

Told ya so

Wait,   :lol:

For me personally, until RoR is on Eichel' s wing, this team will not live up to its potential. My top two lines would look something like this RoR/ Eichel/ Bailey, second line would be Kane/ Reino/ Okposo. If JBOT finds a better option than Bailey, I'm fine with that, I just really liked the way Bailey played at the end of the season and think he would be a great fit with Eichel.

If that's what he's looking for in his wingers, sounds like he'd love Kane

You'd think. Except the get puck to the centre part.

And makes me wonder again if Reinhart maybe doesn't have much of a role here going forward

I think Sam is available. I also think Botterill understands the value a second overall pick has and will take a good look at him with an open mind from up close first.

Wingers => Compete guys who are fast and can get on the puck so the star player can have the puck. If you ask Sidney, those are the guys he likes playing with. (From the WGR interview this morning)

Basically, the wingers are just tools for retrieving the puck so the best guy on your team can do his thing and have the most impact. Kane can do that like nobody else, but he also likes having the puck

You'd think. Except the get puck to the centre part.

;)

Botterill does like the 3-2-1 point system. I'm assuming that's 3 for a win, 2 for an OT win, and 1 for a shootout. That's what I would like as well

Paraphrased: Forwards want defenders that can get them the puck. Finding defensemen that can get them the puck. Sometimes the best way to develop a defense is not what their defensive skills are in the d-zone, but can they get the puck forward and help in the offensive zone

Hard not to love that

Edited by WildCard

EVERY FREAKING TIME HE SAYS "Lake Canandaigua" I want to SLAP HIM IN THE FACE. It is Canadaigua Lake and Seneca Lake and Keuka Lake. Great lakes are Lake Erie and Lake Ontario. Get it freaking right. 

Who, Botterill? He doesn't even know how to pronounce the name of his #4 D. Neither did Murray. Something about that rankles me. Learn your players' names.

EVERY FREAKING TIME HE SAYS "Lake Canandaigua" I want to SLAP HIM IN THE FACE. It is Canadaigua Lake and Seneca Lake and Keuka Lake. Great lakes are Lake Erie and Lake Ontario. Get it freaking right. 

Something tells me this is likely to be the least of our worries.

Who, Botterill? He doesn't even know how to pronounce the name of his #4 D. Neither did Murray. Something about that rankles me. Learn your players' names.

Now, you're onto something here.

I haven't seen the contracts but most are null and void if guys take a tv job. So Rex and Bylsma are done getting paid by TPegs.

I don't think that is the case. Otherwise why would you take a $100K TV job just to forfeit $5MM?  I believe TP still owes the contract, minus whatever is made from side jobs.

I don't think that is the case. Otherwise why would you take a $100K TV job just to forfeit $5MM? I believe TP still owes the contract, minus whatever is made from side jobs.

True. Contracts are null and void only if they enter coaching/GMing. And even if they are hired to coach/GM for less money than the Buffalo contracts, Pegula needs to make up the difference. Most of them choose TV for obvious reasons.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.