Jason Botterill: Hired as New Sabres GM

LGR4GM

Oooh. I sorta forgot about that one.

Okay - they did a song I like.

This ranks right up there with Eleven's poor taste in food.

Development at the AHL being such a key part of The Botterill Doctrine, this guy better get some serious time. Relax, Terry. Actually, I think Terry will give it to him, this being, very arguably, his first actual general manager hire as owner. The fans? Maybe not so much. But we've got a ways to go, folks. The smell of the old core, the tank and GMTM all are very much still wafting over the franchise.

Change your handle to That One Buffalo Smell?

Edited by We've

:lol:

Is that a done deal or still speculation @ this point?

Someone from Pittsburgh said it was a done deal, but I have no clue who this guy was. He mentioned it a few times. I don't really believe it, but who knows. Apparently Botterill had an oral agreement with the Pegula's to be the GM over a week ago, so you never know.

Do you really think Bylsma is stung? He worked for two years, got paid a boatload of money and will continue to get paid a boatload. Now he has a TV gig. Poor guy.

I'm not saying I feel particularly bad for him, but that's an awkward line of questioning.

@SabresBuzz

"An amazing top four defenseman", Botterill on Ristolainen. Raved about Risto's WJC gold medal GWG

@SabresBuzz

Botterill calls Antipin the new age puck mover. Gets puck to forwards

@SabresBuzz

Jason Botterill tells Howard Simon he has a great relationship with Viktor Antipin's agent. He will reach out and discuss further

@SabresBuzz
"An amazing top four defenseman", Botterill on Ristolainen. Raved about Risto's WJC gold medal GWG

@SabresBuzz
Botterill calls Antipin the new age puck mover. Gets puck to forwards

@SabresBuzz
Jason Botterill tells Howard Simon he has a great relationship with Viktor Antipin's agent. He will reach out and discuss further

This is all encouraging news.

I think it also bodes well that we're not hearing from JBOT that Risto is a clear #1. The guy needs better usage, more support.

Good article on the hire. Got me feeling much more optimistic 

https://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/sabres/sabres-committing-change-botterill-hiring/

I think the handling of the cap is the thing I'm most interested in with J-bot. Its never really been an issue here before; when the cap initially went in we had an owner who would never spend enough to get to it anyways, and since then we haven't had players worth paying enough that it would have been a big problem. Eichel, Kane, Reinhart are all up next year, not to mention Lehner and whatever D-men you manage to bring in. That'll be a big challenge.

This is all encouraging news.

I think it also bodes well that we're not hearing from JBOT that Risto is a clear #1. The guy needs better usage, more support.

Of everything I've heard him say, this is far and away the most encouraging. I fully expect him to try to assemble a balanced top-4, rather than one pair that gets 25+ per game and is always matched against the other team's best.

I think the handling of the cap is the thing I'm most interested in with J-bot. Its never really been an issue here before; when the cap initially went in we had an owner who would never spend enough to get to it anyways, and since then we haven't had players worth paying enough that it would have been a big problem. Eichel, Kane, Reinhart are all up next year, not to mention Lehner and whatever D-men you manage to bring in. That'll be a big challenge.

I think he understands the nuances of the cap very well but I'm not entirely sold on how it was managed in PIT.   

Next season the Pens have just 13 skaters under contract, with only $12m in cap space to fill 12 spots on the roster.

They have $52m, over 70% of their cap, tied up in only 9 players.

$38m, 50% of their cap, is going to 5 players.... Crosy, Maklin. Kessel, Letang, Fluery.

That said it seems his philosophy is to pay the stars, then fill in around them with young players on ELCs and such.... I'm not so sure that's going to work consistently.  

I understand he put a big emphasis on developing the young players, but it's rare that you have 4 guys like Sheary (undrafted), Guentzel (3rd rnd), Rust (3rd rnd), and Kuhnhackl (4th rnd) all making such large contributions.     Without those 4 performing as well as they have, I'm not sure PIT is in their current position.   

I think he understands the nuances of the cap very well but I'm not entirely sold on how it was managed in PIT.   

Next season the Pens have just 13 skaters under contract, with only $12m in cap space to fill 12 spots on the roster.

$38m, 50% of their cap, is going to 5 players.... Crosy, Maklin. Kessel, Letang, Fluery.

That said it seems his philosophy is to pay the stars, then fill in around them with young players on ELCs and such.... I'm not so sure that's going to work consistently.  

I understand he put a big emphasis on developing the young players, but it's rare that you have 4 guys like Sheary (undrafted), Guentzel (3rd rnd), Rust (3rd rnd), and Kuhnhackl (4th rnd) all making such large contributions.     Without those 4 performing as well as they have, I'm not sure PIT is in their current position.   

I'd be interested to know if this is the case for a lot of teams. I'd think it is

Is Botterill responsible for Fleury? The rest of those guys are easily, without question worth the money they're paid.

Is it that rare? I'm not so sure it is. And if it is, seems like a good thing to have the guy that can apparently pull that off

It's worked well for both Pittsburgh and Chicago.

Said this morning that it's crucial the team takes advantage of the cap space it has right now.

The implication was that we have space other teams do not have.

I have great faith that any buyouts we make or salaries we take on will be fully thought out in terms of their long-term implications. This guy knows his numbers. Exudes confidence when talking on this subject.

Edited by dudacek

Talked about wingers for Jack and Ryan: he wants fast guys who can forecheck hard and get them the puck.

Bodes well for Carrier, Baptiste, Fasching and Bailey. Not so much Moulson.

Wonder if Girgensons will finally get a shot with Jack?

Have yet to hear his thoughts on Kane.

Edited by dudacek

I find it interesting that J-Bot commented on the challenge he is going to have filling out the top defenders. That every team is always looking to get better. What I find interesting is that was one of Murray's biggest criticisms. Why couldn't Murray make the defense better? According to J-Bot, there is not a lot of available talent out there.

I am ready to move on from GMTM. I still firmly believe the downfall of GMTM was not the lineup and/or record, but the attitude and demeanor in which he interacted (or didn't interact) with people.

Talked about wingers for Jack and Ryan: he wants fast guys who can forecheck hard and get them the puck.

Bodes well for Carrier, Baptiste, Fasching and Bailey. Not so much Moulson.

Wonder if Girgensons will finally get a shot with Jack?

Have yet to hear his thoughts on Kane.

If that's what he's looking for in his wingers, sounds like he'd love Kane

And makes me wonder again if Reinhart maybe doesn't have much of a role here going forward

Well, if he is indeed a winger in Botterill's mind, which appears to be up in the air, he certainly isn't a fast one that can go hard on the forecheck. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.