Rasmus Ristolainen --- Future Norris Candidate?

bob_sauve28

Today, it's Ristolainen. How good is he? 

Watching the Caps John Carlson in these playoffs makes me think they are on par overall as players, though not exactly the same style. Both really good players. Risto has so much room to grow I'd like to think he can be even better. Maybe in a few years a Norris candidate? I could see it but that's a pretty high bar to set so I'll say it's probably not going to happen. A nomination or two would be nice though. 

Obviously, Risto will need a lot of help around him. Look at the other players around Carlson and they are on the verge of being eliminated so the new GM will have to find a lot of new talent. 

Today, it's Ristolainen. How good is he? 

Watching the Caps John Carlson in these playoffs makes me think they are on par overall as players, though not exactly the same style. Both really good players. Risto has so much room to grow I'd like to think he can be even better. Maybe in a few years a Norris candidate? I could see it but that's a pretty high bar to set so I'll say it's probably not going to happen. A nomination or two would be nice though. 

Obviously, Risto will need a lot of help around him. Look at the other players around Carlson and they are on the verge of being eliminated so the new GM will have to find a lot of new talent. 

Absolutely, and as you pointed out he just needs the proper pairing partner.

And he needs to be on a good team. I don't think many Norris candidates play on non-playoff teams; call it either bias or no player's raw numbers look good on bad teams.

Dial his ice time back a bit so he can maintain his play a full season.

I don't know about Norris, but he might be the best defenceman of his age group.

Second best asset on the team, IMO.

Fully agree. Risto is an essential part of our core. He and ROR as A, Jack as C.

I have strong belief in Ristolainen becoming one of the best defensemen this team has ever had. It's imperative to cut the sh!t now, though, and properly develop him. 

This team has never had a D-man that got much more than token consideration for Norris.  He could be a tier below and still be the best defenseman ever to wear Sabres colors.

This team has never had a D-man that got much more than token consideration for Norris. He could be a tier below and still be the best defenseman ever to wear Sabres colors.

Jim Schoenfield and Phil Housley were exceptional. I expect Risto to be right there in that conversation of top Sabres defensemen all time when all is said and done.

Jim Schoenfield and Phil Housley were exceptional. I expect Risto to be right there in that conversation of top Sabres defensemen all time when all is said and done.

But neither, or Mike Ramsey who was also exceptional, garnered many Norris votes. 

Would it be fair to say that the Norris goes to elite talent, as decided by the NHL.

Look at the players that have won the award ... always elite.

I like Risto and think he will be very good, but not elite.

Yah, it would be fair to say.

I think you summed it up nicely NS.

Personally, I'd rather have 3 very good defense-man than I can afford on my roster, rather than 1 elite and a couple of pretty goods.

This team has never had a D-man that got much more than token consideration for Norris.  He could be a tier below and still be the best defenseman ever to wear Sabres colors.

Yep, I'm not comfortable predicting that he'll be Norris caliber yet. The potential is there but the path to it is highly volatile. 

Risto's offense is definitely on the way to becoming Norris worthy, his D however needs work in order to truly become an "elite" dman.

Fortunately for him, offensive ability is considered far more than defensive ability when it comes to garnering votes for that award. Not saying he'll get votes, but needing to work on his play in his own end gives him a better shot than needed to significantly improve his offensive game. This is not Rod Langway's NHL.

Since the Bobby Orr era the award has gone to one of if not the top scoring defenseman.

The only exception I can recall is Rod Langway. Doughty's numbers were not eye popping either, but he drove their possession game.

Risto's numbers will probably improve with a higher scoring lineup. He may get some consideration.

He is big and likes to be physical. He does need to improve his defensive game to be considered elite.

Since the Bobby Orr era the award has gone to one of if not the top scoring defenseman.

The only exception I can recall is Rod Langway. Doughty's numbers were not eye popping either, but he drove their possession game.

Risto's numbers will probably improve with a higher scoring lineup. He may get some consideration.

He is big and likes to be physical. He does need to improve his defensive game to be considered elite.

Nic Lidstrom. Best defender doesn't need to be highest scoring. I do agree though they have to produce offence and drive possession.

Absolutely, and as you pointed out he just needs the proper pairing partner.

And he needs to be on a good team. I don't think many Norris candidates play on non-playoff teams; call it either bias or no player's raw numbers look good on bad teams.

He doesn't need to have a great partner and a great team to be a Norris contender. Norris contenders MAKE their partner and team great. That's why they're Norris contenders.

Fortunately for him, offensive ability is considered far more than defensive ability when it comes to garnering votes for that award. Not saying he'll get votes, but needing to work on his play in his own end gives him a better shot than needed to significantly improve his offensive game. This is not Rod Langway's NHL.

Totally agree with what you said, and I'll take it one further. No, it's not Langway's NHL. It's Erik Karlsson's!! And he's a very worthy successor to Lidstrom. He's become elite by stepping up his defensive end work to nearly the same level as his offense. Definitely not physical, but superb positioning and shot blocking. It also helps to be able to skate like the wind!

Risto is a different type of player obviously. Can he become elite? Fun to imagine...

Clearly any new GM and coach will make it a priority to do whatever it takes to make Risto an elite defenceman who can compete on the same level as Karlsson, or any other top defenceman. Every team needs at least one of these type of defencemen to really be any good in the NHL. Over playing him is not the answer...pairing him with the right partner then fine-tuning his game is all it will take to put him in the elite company. I feel sorry for Pittsburg losing Letang right before the playoffs. If they lose, one can certainly look at his lose as a major factor

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.