Rasmus Ristolainen --- Future Norris Candidate?

bob_sauve28

I believe Travis Yost and whoever blogs for the Penguins have Risto as highly overrated. They look purely at analytics and if you were to look at the numbers, I agree that he would be overrated.

But I watch him play and he is probably the reason why I do not give credence to purely analytical assessments. It sounds like he passes SS posters' eye test, and I read many comments about 'if the team was better his numbers would be better'-- I have always felt that way.

The bad news -- I have a #55 jersey. Add that to my collection of 57, 26, and 30, and with my track record, his arse should be shipped out as first item of business for Botterill. 

My concern with Risto is still his skating, agility, quickness and defensive awareness specifically when pucks are in tight around the net. 

I liked the progression he showed last season, although his production tailed off mid-season, he improved from a -32, to a -21, to a -9 last season... that's a positive trend.

As he matures, his lack of elite quickness and agility can be masked by positioning such that he doesn't put himself into unrecoverable situations.

One thing lost in the GMTM discussion is the deal he gave Risto.    I thought it was extremely fair and didn't overpay or underpay, either on term or dollars.    A +1 for GMTM.

My concern with Risto is still his skating, agility, quickness and defensive awareness specifically when pucks are in tight around the net. 

I liked the progression he showed last season, although his production tailed off mid-season, he improved from a -32, to a -21, to a -9 last season... that's a positive trend.

As he matures, his lack of elite quickness and agility can be masked by positioning such that he doesn't put himself into unrecoverable situations.

One thing lost in the GMTM discussion is the deal he gave Risto.    I thought it was extremely fair and didn't overpay or underpay, either on term or dollars.    A +1 for GMTM.

To your first point about his skating, it was alarming just how much it fell off by the end of the season. He's not a burner to begin with but I hope he can learn to pace himself the right way in-game the way the Suters and Keiths do, so that even when we dial back his minutes, he can still skate by game 82.

I think the best thing we have with Risto is time. He's gotten better in every facet, at a modest rate, and is still only 22. We need our new coach to figure out exactly how to maximize that time.

strange seeing TSN's look into the Sabres moving forward and their seemingly quite low opinion of Risto because of his numbers last season. to quote TSN:

"A 22-year-old defenceman who has put up 86 points over the past two seasons, presents a complicated situation for the Sabres. The eighth pick in the 2013 Draft is supposed to be the franchise’s workhorse on the blueline, averaging 25:52 of ice time per game over the past two years, and yet the vast majority of Sabres have better shot differentials when they are playing with anyone but Ristolainen. (Seriously, what are you supposed to make of this?)

He’s young and being force-fed a ton of minutes, and he doesnt't have to play that much, but the challenge for the new Sabres regime is figuring out if Ristolainen can be the star of this blueline group rather than someone who is going to need to be sheltered, and soon, if this team is going to contend for a playoff spot."

Kinda makes one wonder if we are overrating Risto or if he is indeed the stud we think and/or hope he is.

Edited by Sabre fan

Myers got 48 points as a 20 year old, 37 the next year and hasn't cracked 30 in the six years since.

Risto's gone 20, 41 and 45.

He's certainly produced more and trended better, especially when you consider the other parts of his game.

The Seabrook thing is very realistic.

What Risto needs to do is put together a second half like his first.

Myers got 48 points as a 20 year old, 37 the next year and hasn't cracked 30 in the six years since.

Risto's gone 20, 41 and 45.

He's certainly produced more and trended better, especially when you consider the other parts of his game.

The Seabrook thing is very realistic.

What Risto needs to do is put together a second half like his first.

I think Risto can certainly be Seabrook+ not relying on a partner but not really supporting a pair by his merits alone either.If we need a vet Dman, we need one to teach him how to conserve energy and position himself better. Plus reduce his taxing TOI to a bit more reasonable levels.

Gimme the 3 Cups that Seabrook has and I don't give a damn what his career amounts to. Be it Brent Seabrook, Brent Burns or Brent Sutter.

I think he's gonna be pretty good. Hopefully make a few all star teams. Score 40+ every year, clear the puck and submarine fools with that hip check. Entertain me, Risto. Entertain me.

The elephant in the room is, he could very well be Myers 2.0.  I'm not convinced he will be.  But I have to admit the very real possibility. 

Myers was a head case and could not figure out his role. A big hitter? A fast skating puck mover? Tough guy? 

Risto knows his role and seems comfortable in his own skin. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.