Robin Lehner RFA - to Sign or Trade that is the question!

GASabresIUFAN

Apparently new GMJBotto has already hinted he may seek another goalie other then lerner. We may try to trade Lerner or of course could just let him walk. Then, of course, it becomes a question of who we go after. How about...

Marc-Andre Fluery -Pittsburgh Penguins
Brian Elliott- Calgary Flames
Jaroslav Halak- New York Islanders
Jimmy Howard- Detroit Red Wings
Steve Mason- Philadelphia Flyers
Mike Condon -Ottawa Senators

These are thought to be readily available through either free agency or trades. Interesting to note that the general thought is that just maybe GMJBotto does not think as highly of Lerner as old GMTM did. any thoughts or any other names to throw into the hat?

Apparently new GMJBotto has already hinted he may seek another goalie other then lerner. We may try to trade Lerner or of course could just let him walk. Then, of course, it becomes a question of who we go after. How about...

These are thought to be readily available through either free agency or trades. Interesting to note that the general thought is that just maybe GMJBotto does not think as highly of Lerner as old GMTM did. any thoughts or any other names to throw into the hat?

Please, none of the above.

Lehner's good enough for now.

But he definitely needs to work on the optics.

Lehrer is better than any other free agent goalie at his salary and experience point. And also better than most Sabres fans give him credit for, because Buffalo.

Bridge deal imminent.

Given the current depth chart, this probably sounds like the most ideal/likely scenario.  Sure they could go hunting the trade or free agent market, but the blue line is a much bigger concern/priority at this point.

Edited by shrader

Yeah, I'll keep Lehner, please and thank you. Pay him middle of the road goalie money for 3 years or something

Eh. Maybe they're really high on Ullmark? If so, then you could go out and get a guy like Fleury who Ullmark basically just has to take playing time from. Ditching Lehner could be fine so long as none of these other guys are penciled in as your permanent number 1. They would be filler/veteran mentors. 

Linus Ullmark can do it. Let Robin go, his value is up now and would bring some good cash to recruit some defence. 

Give Linus a proper defence and he will do just fine. 

I love Linus but he has some stuff to prove. He wasn't exactly great in Rochester and needs to get going in Buffalo we don't lose him. Granted he had hip surgery so that took some time to recover from but still, need more data.

Trade Lehner to Arizona for JAKOB CHYCHRUN :-)

lol, I don't think I would make that trade quite yet. Need another year of data.

His save percentage is artificially inflated because BUF allows the most shots on net from low percentage scoring areas.

He's not as good as his stats advertise.

interesting theory, we know that Lehner is hot garbage in the shootout. I would like someone to look more in depth into this.

Eh. Maybe they're really high on Ullmark? If so, then you could go out and get a guy like Fleury who Ullmark basically just has to take playing time from. Ditching Lehner could be fine so long as none of these other guys are penciled in as your permanent number 1. They would be filler/veteran mentors. 

I've been thinking about the Fleury angle. Not that I'm keen on acquiring him, but I wonder how much Pittsburgh is willing to pay a team to take him so they can protect Murray.

I've been thinking about the Fleury angle. Not that I'm keen on acquiring him, but I wonder how much Pittsburgh is willing to pay a team to take him so they can protect Murray.

Hilariously enough, that decision rests entirely upon Fleury... don't count on anyone else being protected. Nor do I blame him, seeing how the fan base and team have treated him, for exercising a bargained for and agreed to clause in his contract.

In simpler terms: the penguins.

Edited by Sabres79

interesting theory, we know that Lehner is hot garbage in the shootout. I would like someone to look more in depth into this.

Look at our tank-era goalies that had similarly inflated stats and look how well they did with other teams after they left Buffalo.  While not definitive, it lends credence to pi's point.

I mean, imagine a team built to win games in regulation ...

Those don't exist anymore.

“I think Niemi is going to get bought out,” said Friedman. “That’s kind of the word we’re hearing, if he’s not traded or they don’t get Vegas to take him. Bishop, on his conference call, said, ‘I’m looking forward to being a team with Lehtonen,’ so I guess that’s a pretty good hint in what they’re thinking.

“I think there’s a couple of different things that are going to go on. Nick (Kypreos) has been saying for awhile now that he hears there’s something going on between Las Vegas and Marc-Andre Fleury, which makes a lot of sense. I think if they go out and they get Fleury – for one thing, he’s playing unbelievably well. For another, Fleury is a hell of a guy who would make a great ambassador for any NHL team. So I’m kind of wondering if that’s what’s going to be the case.

“With you guys, I don’t know. I’m curious to see. I wonder – does Brad Treliving have any tremendous feelings one way or the other on Mike Condon. Maybe what he does is he goes back to Johnson and Elliott for one more year. You’ve got a lot of goalies there who are prospects who are maybe a year or two away. Maybe that’s the decision that you guys end up making.

“One of the guys I mentioned on Friday, Saros – I got a call from somebody who and he said they don’t think there’s any way that David Poile is going to be traded him right now. They think he’s got no reason to and he’s going to hold onto him, so I think that takes another option away.

“Maybe the option is he brings back Elliott and/or Johnson for another year until your kids are ready.”

https://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/friedman-scans-latest-nhl-goaltending-market/

Edited by WildCard

Aside Condon who's a solid backup I'd have zero interest in any of them unless they'd pay us and they only have 1 year left

I feel like all the people who like Fleury now are forgetting, like, the rest of his time in Pittsburgh. If Pitt wants to pay me to take him I'll listen, otherwise noooo thanks.

I'm with you. Very few goalies are worthy of premium cap hits so it's best to keep a stable of young cost controlled guys in the pipeline at different stages of development so you can replace them before getting stuck with a mediocre one on a bad contract. I would bridge Lehner and keep him while he's young and cost controlled then let someone else give him his big payday.

I'm with you. Very few goalies are worthy of premium cap hits so it's best to keep a stable of young cost controlled guys in the pipeline at different stages of development so you can replace them before getting stuck with a mediocre one on a bad contract. I would bridge Lehner and keep him while he's young and cost controlled then let someone else give him his big payday.

For my money they can get decent goaltending for cheap by just signing cheap vets or late round draft picks for the rest of Eichel's career. There are 3 tiers of goalies in the NHL: The Best, The Worst, and The Rest, and about 75% of goalies sit in that last category. Ideally my goalie will never take up more than about 5-7% of my cap space on his own.

I'd love to see Lehner on the Jets team. You guys have a good goalie there.

I think Mason signs somewhere other than Philly.

Halak with only one year reamaining would be an interesting pick up but the Isles would have to retain some salary (30%) and take Hutch back.

The big question is where is MAF going? He is playing very well in the playoffs and has to be protected. Do the Pens buy him out, trade him, work out a deal with Vegas and keep him?

Halak with only one year reamaining would be an interesting pick up but the Isles would have to retain some salary (30%) and take Hutch back.

The big question is where is MAF going? He is playing very well in the playoffs and has to be protected. Do the Pens buy him out, trade him, work out a deal with Vegas and keep him?

Would there be interest from the Jets re: Fleury? Think he could really help them.

I'll trade him straight up for Helly any day.

I will trade you Lehner for Josh Morrissey and a pick. 

Does anyone think Fleury is an upgrade on Lehner?

When you factor in age and salary it's a non-starter for me.

They are both average NHL starters.

Maybe if Lehner is - as some believe - a locker room issue.

Fleury is certainly a nice guy.

Apparently new GMJBotto has already hinted he may seek another goalie other then lerner.

Where has this been hinted? I've seen it nowhere except in the internet daydreams of Penguin fans.

I think Lerner is still young by goalie standards and has shown big steps forward. Seems silly to go after someone else's castoffs when Lerner is exactly what we wish the team to be...competitive and combatative

Nothing Lehner does will appease his detractors.

I can't believe Flower instead of Lehner is even a topic for discussion.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.