Robin Lehner RFA - to Sign or Trade that is the question!

GASabresIUFAN

The predictable articles about Robin Lehner's future with the Sabres have begun to pop up.  No surprise.  He is an RFA, a TM darling, with TM gone, there is a question as to whether or not the new GM will re-sign him.  

Articles such as Bill Hoppe's  http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/tim-murray-gone-sabres-goalie-robin-lehner-question-mark-starter/(Why isn't he on the Worst media guy list?)

Everyone knows I think TM overpaid to get Lehner, but at this point, with Murray gone the trade is ancient history and we need to decide what to do now.  The answer is sign him!  I hope to a bridge deal of 3 years for 12 mill (or there about).  Why?

1) We have no one else.  Neither Nilsson or Ullmark haven't proven they are good enough to be a full time number 1.

2) Lehner earned the new deal! He lost weight, stayed healthy, for the most part he played very well and kept us in nearly every game he played.  Sure he lets in some softies and isn't great on oddman rushes and shoot outs, but he improved on the latter two items late in the year.  

3) Goalie market looks both soft, older and more expensive or even less experienced. Who is possibly available? Howard, Fleury, Bishop, Miller, Darling, Pavelec.  Any of these names jump out at you?

I expect the new GM will make getting Lehner signed a priority and it will get done pretty quickly.  

The dump Lehner theory is that he really isn't very good and to convince Petersen to sign here we need to not keep Lehner long-term.  This is pure stupid.  If you re-sign Lehner to a bridge deal and also sign Petersen, if Petersen develops into a star within 2 year, you can trade Lehner or make Petersen the starter and Lehner the backup for the last year of Lehner's deal.  No biggie.  People have to remember that no matter how good Petersen is, he isn't as accomplished as Hobey Baker winner Ryan Miller.  Miller spent 3 seasons in Rochester before taking over in Buffalo.  

However, keeping Lehner also gives the team the best opportunity to win now.  I'd much rather have Lehner then the tandem of Nilsson and Ullmark.  

Don't want to sign Lehner to a long term big dollar deal until I see how he does on a good team.

But not re-signing him this summer, or leaving him unprotected would be silly.

Not only do you throw away a cost-controlled asset who played pretty well last year, but you've got nobody to replace him.

Or do you really want to run at the playoffs with Linus and Chad Johnson (or reasonable facsimile thereof)?

Yse has got it right. Hate the trade if you like. Be skeptical of his long-term prospects.

But don't ignore the fact he is already an average NHL starter, and he's still young.

Edited by dudacek

He finished 8th in save percentage (among goalies with 40 or more starts) on a team with an average defense at best. 

Even if there was a hot goalie market I don't see how this is even a question. I'd even go as far as saying they should bring back Nilsson. No way I want this team to be relying on Ullmark and Peterson. As good as they may be, we don't know. Nilsson and Lehner are proven.

I'm all for a 3 year bridge deal. 

I'd try to re-sign Lehner just because I think he is above average and I like him as a player.  Not that I think he is great, but I think it is good enough.  If they don't resign him, I'll be OK with it, just I'd rather have him back.

Ideally, Lenhner plays 55 games next year...Ullmark is his backup and gets about 30.  Peterson gets signed and gets the bulk of games in Rochester...then you re-evaluate after the end of next year.  

That is a good question my dear friend, i do not know. Is there any suggestion that would come to mind ? 

Very few teams need goalies. Winnipeg and Calgary are probably your best shots. Dallas needs a good goalie, but is a mess defensively. I'm not sure there is another team in the league (bar Vegas) that needs one:

Anaheim: Gibson

Arizona: Smith

Boston: Rask

Calgary: ??

Carolina: Ward / Lack

Chicago: Crawford

Colorado: Varlamov

Colombus: Bob

Dallas: ??

Red Wings: Mrazek / Howard

Oilers: Talbot

Florida: Luongo

LA: Quick

Minny: Dubnyk

Habs: Price

Preds: Rinne

NJ: Schneider

Islanders: Halak?

Rags: Ludqvist

Ottawa: Andersson

Penguins: Murray / Fleury

Sharks: Jones

Blues: Allen

Lightning: Vasilevski

Leafs: Anderssen

Vancouver: Markstrome?

Caps: Holtby

Winnipeg: ??

Plus Bishop and one of Murray/Fleury will be taking two of those free or questionable slots

Edited by ThirtyEight

Lehner needs to be resigned. We have a team save percentage of .920 in spite of the fact that we have the most shots allowed in the league.

His save percentage is artificially inflated because BUF allows the most shots on net from low percentage scoring areas.

He's not as good as his stats advertise.

Good list 38. Maybe 5-8 of those teams would look at Lehner as an upgrade, another 3-4 could use him as an heir apparent.

Arizona would actually be a good fit for a trade.

They have Smith signed for another 2 years. I'm not sure they pay $9 million or so a year for goalies when they have an internal cap.

The other thing here is commitment, like Allen is signed for a long time with the Blues, so you have to trade him to make room for Lehner. I'm not sure Lehner is enough of an upgrade for teams to want to give up defence assets (something the league as a whole seems to be lacking) and then find a suitor for your goalie to make it happen.

Edited by ThirtyEight

The predictable articles about Robin Lehner's future with the Sabres have begun to pop up.  No surprise.  He is an RFA, a TM darling, with TM gone, there is a question as to whether or not the new GM will re-sign him.  

Articles such as Bill Hoppe's  http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/tim-murray-gone-sabres-goalie-robin-lehner-question-mark-starter/(Why isn't he on the Worst media guy list?)

Everyone knows I think TM overpaid to get Lehner, but at this point, with Murray gone the trade is ancient history and we need to decide what to do now.  The answer is sign him!  I hope to a bridge deal of 3 years for 12 mill (or there about).  Why?

1) We have no one else.  Neither Nilsson or Ullmark haven't proven they are good enough to be a full time number 1.

2) Lehner earned the new deal! He lost weight, stayed healthy, for the most part he played very well and kept us in nearly every game he played.  Sure he lets in some softies and isn't great on oddman rushes and shoot outs, but he improved on the latter two items late in the year.  

3) Goalie market looks both soft, older and more expensive or even less experienced. Who is possibly available? Howard, Fleury, Bishop, Miller, Darling, Pavelec.  Any of these names jump out at you?

I expect the new GM will make getting Lehner signed a priority and it will get done pretty quickly.  

I honestly, only see a one year or two year bridge type deal.  The GM has no ties to him and may wish to go in a different direction.  So we'll see.  I liked what I saw in moments of Lehner's game, but he does need to work on more consistency.  (Like a lot of goalies do.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.