Robin Lehner RFA - to Sign or Trade that is the question!

GASabresIUFAN

I honestly, only see a one year or two year bridge type deal. The GM has no ties to him and may wish to go in a different direction. So we'll see. I liked what I saw in moments of Lehner's game, but he does need to work on more consistency. (Like a lot of goalies do.)

I generally agree with this and would not give him a 3 year deal. I would give him a "prove it" 2-year deal. He's an RFA so his only alternative is the KHL.

Peterson is eligible to reach Free Agency THIS summer, correct?

If and only if he decides to leave school.

He can still return for his final year.

If it's the former, I'm not sure when free agency kicks in.

If it's the latter, he is another Vesey case and will have to wait until August.

GMTM said he's yet to decide whether he is leaving school.

Edited by dudacek

Trade him, sign Petersen and let Ullmark and him battle for the starting job.

Just like pretty much every other goalie on the face of the earth, Petersen is going to need a few years in the AHL before he's ready.  No team is going to give him a shot with the big club right away.  I'm sure someone can throw out a name or two of recent guys who made it right away, but it's a very short list.

People don't get the goalie age thing at all.

49 goalies put up 10 wins or more in the NHL this year.

Gibson and Hellebuyck are 23, and Vasilevkiy, Murray and Saros are 22.

They are the only goalies on the list younger than Robin Lehner (25)

There must have been a couple first or second year year pros who stepped into a regular role in the past 10 years, but they are few and far between.

Edited by dudacek

Just like pretty much every other goalie on the face of the earth, Petersen is going to need a few years in the AHL before he's ready.  No team is going to give him a shot with the big club right away.  I'm sure someone can throw out a name or two of recent guys who made it right away, but it's a very short list.

You are correct about that.

The most recent one that I recall, but I'm old, is Patrick Roy.

goaiies seem to take much longer to come into their own...but Lerner's number's already are pretty darn good. we also gave up alot so we need to get something out of it so sign 2 year contract and see how he progresses...he is young by goalie standards

I can't believe I'm agreeing with you on something. Can you change your opinion or something? This is uncomfortable.

I'd be OK with 6 years at $36mil. Similar to what BUF should extend to Matty Moulson on a restructured deal.

Feel better?

Yup and so far it seems he is favouring testing the market

If and only if he decides to leave school.

He can still return for his final year.

If it's the former, I'm not sure when free agency kicks in.

If it's the latter, he is another Vesey case and will have to wait until August.

GMTM said he's yet to decide whether he is leaving school.

So it's pretty much: if he doesn't sign with us this summer, he's as good as gone? Although, if he returns to school, technically we'd be keeping his rights until August 2018, correct? But like Vesey, if he returns for that final year, he's likely going to FA at that point, I guess?

So it's pretty much: if he doesn't sign with us this summer, he's as good as gone? Although, if he returns to school, technically we'd be keeping his rights until August 2018, correct? But like Vesey, if he returns for that final year, he's likely going to FA at that point, I guess?

I wouldn't say good as gone, but unlikely to sign here. That said, situations change. Say Lehner craps out and we lose Ullmark to expansion; Petersen may view the Sabres as his quickest road to the NHL and sign here (assuming the new GM still wants him).

If he does return to school and we keep Ullmark, may I suggest trading his rights to Dallas (or best offer). Johansson is now here (has he signed an ELC?) and we still have Kasdorf.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't say good as gone, but unlikely to sign here. That said, situations change. Say Lehner craps out and we lose Ullmark to expansion; Petersen may view the Sabres as his quickest road to the NHL and sign here (assuming the new GM still wants him).

If he does return to school and we keep Ullmark, may I suggest trading his rights to Dallas (or best offer). Johansson is now here (has he signed an ELC?) and we still have Kasdorf.

I think Ullmark deserves a shot with the sabres, he has put in the time and I don't see Las Vegas grabbing him with so many more established goalies out there.

Petersen has been rumoured to be going to chicago, their goalie prospect pool is really dry except for Wouter Peeters who still is a long term project.

I think Ullmark deserves a shot with the sabres, he has put in the time and I don't see Las Vegas grabbing him with so many more established goalies out there.

Petersen has been rumoured to be going to chicago, their goalie prospect pool is really dry except for Wouter Peeters who still is a long term project.

Petersen is leaning towards staying in school so he can play in the Olympics.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.