• Botterill
    • Brisebois
    • Regier
    • Sabertooth
    • Pegula
    • Someone on SabreSpace
    • Guerin

Further from Baker

Opinons come from hockey people outside of Buffalo bubble. One who knows them all well has good things to say about Zito and BriseBois

Also this from Chris Ostander a Sabres Blogger

FWIW 2ITB #sources said watch for a Lombardi/Futa tandem as hockey ops pres or director and GM

Further from Baker

Opinons come from hockey people outside of Buffalo bubble. One who knows them all well has good things to say about Zito and BriseBois

Also this from Chris Ostander a Sabres Blogger

FWIW 2ITB #sources said watch for a Lombardi/Futa tandem as hockey ops pres or director and GM

Well, this is depressing

Anyone who is a GM as long as Lombardi will have significant minuses. It comes with the job. The new kids have them too, we just don't know what they are because we haven't seen them attempt to manage an NHL team yet.

Lombardi to buffalo would look no worse than Rutherford to Pittsburgh did.

Anyone who is a GM as long as Lombardi will have significant minuses. It comes with the job. The new kids have them too, we just don't know what they are because we haven't seen them attempt to manage an NHL team yet.

Lombardi to buffalo would look no worse than Rutherford to Pittsburgh did.

Of course not. And I can't say I'd consider him a bad hire. I just don't know if he's as good a drafter as he's made out to be. 

Of course not. And I can't say I'd consider him a bad hire. I just don't know if he's as good a drafter as he's made out to be.

How much does drafting rely on the scouting group a team has? We have more scouts than any team in the league I think, which is probably very different from LA. I'm not sure of their quality.

I'm not the biggest fan of Lombardi but I think people criticize him too much for the big and heavy mindset. I think many NHL teams, even successful ones in today's league think like that too. For example, the Leafs have a good mix of speed and youth but also employ guys like Matt Martin, Eric Fehr, Hyman and on defense Carrick and Polak to name a few. Carrick and Polak are old school defensmen.

The defense is the only thing holding the Leafs from a Cup run....

The defense is the only thing holding the Leafs from a Cup run....

Yes and that's my point. The article posted about why to stay away from Lombardi insist he's a dinosaur because he has guys such as Kyle Clifford in the lineup and those types are no longer successful in the NHL, while a successful team like Toronto has several guys like that.

GMs get way too much blame and credit for drafts.

Beyond the first round, their only real influence is hiring the scouts and setting their direction.

It's the scouts bird-dogging the talent, and the senior scouts using their input to shape the list.

Not excited about Lombardi, but he has the best resume.

Yes and that's my point. The article posted about why to stay away from Lombardi insist he's a dinosaur because he has guys such as Kyle Clifford in the lineup and those types are no longer successful in the NHL, while a successful team like Toronto has several guys like that.

Okay, without too much trouble we can find articles on why he'd be a great choice.

More I read about Lombardi and compare it to what Pegula said in the press conference, I will be surprised if he is not a Sabre by Monday.

I hope it's as a hockey ops guy where he takes care of Pegula and the organization building while hiring a bright young guy (Brisebois?) as the GM.

More I read about Lombardi and compare it to what Pegula said in the press conference, I will be surprised if he is not a Sabre by Monday.

I hope it's as a hockey ops guy where he takes care of Pegula and the organization building while hiring a bright young guy (Brisebois?) as the GM.

I agree. I mentioned earlier in the thread Lombardi with Drury combo, but agree that Drury is probably to raw. I'd be happy with Lombardi/Botterill combo, as long as the power sharing is clearly delineated with most of the power to build the roster resides with Botterill. I want Lombardi to essentially be a mentor. Unfortunately, I don't think this is what will happen. Lombardi is only 59. My guess he'll want the power.

As to him only building a heavy team, LA certainly was, but we used the assets they had when he got there, like Quick and Kopitar and Brown and built around them. In SJ he drafted and built differently.

I agree on the contracts issue, but we already have Risto, ROR and KO locked up. The only current player he can make such a mistake with is Kane and he is only 25. I looked over his trade history with the Kings (go to nhltradetracker and type in Dean Lombardi) and like most GM's most deals are smaller, but his 2 big deals, Carter and Richards got him 2 Cups.