Tim Murray and Dan Byslma Have Been Fired

Mustache of God

There is a very big assumption on your part that TP hired Dan or GMTM. 

GMTM might be Patt's boy and Dan is GMTM's boy.

TP may just be finally getting his house in order from a fiasco that TP assumes is the result of hiring Pat Lafontaine.

No it's not. He hired Rex Ryan

Here's a thought:  if TP had decided that GMTM didn't have the right stuff, then better to pull the trigger now -- ii.e. before losing any of the offseason -- and get the new guy in place to plan for and execute new HC hiring, the draft, expansion draft, free agency, Kane/Eichel extensions, etc.

It makes sense, but the fact that he gives out 5 year contracts and extensions like candy still makes him a moron

This doesn't seem credible.  GMTM must've known that he was going to have to articulate to TP his vision for improvement -- and he "didn't have any answers?"  So he sat there in silence? 

As I mentioned above, it seems reasonable that TP would've held GMTM accountable for icing a lousy team -- especially for the disgraceful post-bye-week performance -- and firiing DDB as part of a housecleaning would make sense too.  But TP firing GMTM because GMTM "had no answers" in their meeting?  No.

I think Murray knew he was gone when the season ended.   If you go back and listen to some of his quotes, he sounds like a guy who knew his time was up.    My guess is TP gave him an ultimatum to show progress every season and they took a step back, so he's gone... kinda like Rex knowing he was gone before the Jets game.     That would seem typical of an owner who ran a large successful company... set goals with hard deadlines and if they're not met, then next man up gets a shot until they find the right guy.    I just don't think that works very well in pro sports where you need some stability and patience especially when completely overhauling the roster and dealing with injuries, etc...

Edited by pi2000

Here's a thought: if TP had decided that GMTM didn't have the right stuff, then better to pull the trigger now -- ii.e. before losing any of the offseason -- and get the new guy in place to plan for and execute new HC hiring, the draft, expansion draft, free agency, Kane/Eichel extensions, etc.

Totally agree. This is a huge offseason for the team, and if the confidence wasn't there, making a change before it all makes sense.

Here's a thought:  if TP had decided that GMTM didn't have the right stuff, then better to pull the trigger now -- ii.e. before losing any of the offseason -- and get the new guy in place to plan for and execute new HC hiring, the draft, expansion draft, free agency, Kane/Eichel extensions, etc.

He wasted a good 10 days then if this was the case. Why not do it right after the season if he already had his mind made up. Not sure I buy that Sylvester quote either. TP has shown he has a quick trigger finger.

Everyone who hates the Murray firing obviously didn't pay attention to what Pegula said when he bought the team.

"From this day forward the sole goal of the Buffalo Sabres is to win Stanley Cups"

Murray wad a failure. So was Bylsma.

Now, lets get this ship righted and win Cups! My hats off to the owner. Thank you Terry Pegula, you made the right decisions today.

I think Murray knew he was gone when the season ended.   If you go back and listen to some of his quotes, he sounds like a guy who knew his time was up.    My guess is TP gave him an ultimatum to show progress every season and they took a step back, so he's gone... kinda like Rex knowing he was gone before the Jets game.     That would seem typical of an owner who ran a large successful company... set goals with hard deadlines and if they're not met, then next man up gets a shot until they find the right guy.    I just don't think that works very well in pro sports where you need some stability and patience especially when completely overhauling the roster.

I think you may be right. TM was saying he was also under review. In hindsight he may very well thought he may be gone. I don't think this team is facing completely overhauling the roster though.

I think Murray knew he was gone when the season ended.   If you go back and listen to some of his quotes, he sounds like a guy who knew his time was up.    My guess is TP gave him an ultimatum to show progress every season and they took a step back, so he's gone... kinda like Rex knowing he was gone before the Jets game.     That would seem typical of an owner who ran a large successful company... set goals with hard deadlines and if they're not met, then next man up gets a shot until they find the right guy.    I just don't think that works very well in pro sports where you need some stability and patience especially when completely overhauling the roster and dealing with injuries, etc...

So you believed that the Darcy/Ruff  logic was the way to go?

I think you may be right. TM was saying he was also under review. In hindsight he may very well thought he may be gone. I don't think this team is facing completely overhauling the roster though.

I do.  That 50% roster turnover thread is much more believable now.  Kind of a shame really.  I hate being an expansion team.  Again.

I kind of feel bad for murray, but both Rochester and Buffalo sucking again.   If Rochester would have shown some promise he might have been able to stay.

I do like the last two drafts he did, we got some good late round prospects coming up.  

If murray really backed Bylsma, then I'm not sad to see him go.   And I really liked Murray, his honesty was refreshing and I liked his humour.   

Also wouldn't be surprised if Pegula already has a replacement GM in mind.

Everyone who hates the Murray firing obviously didn't pay attention to what Pegula said when he bought the team.

"From this day forward the sole goal of the Buffalo Sabres is to win Stanley Cups"

Murray wad a failure. So was Bylsma.

Now, lets get this ship righted and win Cups! My hats off to the owner. Thank you Terry Pegula, you made the right decisions today.

Except when they do the hiring

The one Murray quote that stuck out to me was when he said "if I'm here next week" which coincides with his other quote of "Dan is my coach today". This makes me believe he wasn't going to fire DB after talking to TP. If Murray wasn't fired, then Bylsma would still be the coach. I think the writing was on the wall for TM.

So you believed that the Darcy/Ruff  logic was the way to go?

What was the Dracy/Ruff logic?   

You need more than 2 years to show significant progress after back to back 50 point seasons.    You can't compare them to the Leafs because they never bottomed out that hard, and they got luck winning the Matthews lottery.    You think they're a playoff team without Matthews?   

I have been saying for awhile that a team that suppose to have a huge scouting department compared to a lot of other teams that their is no excuse that then can't find hidden talent. One thing I like about Murray is he like to take chances but what I didn't like was his willingness to throw out too many draft picks in these deals. I've always been under the philosophy that if you have a solid scouting department that you stockpile talent and keep the system flowing year in and year out. That's the reason why you have such a huge scouting department and then you have a GM that can trust his scouts in order to make these moves.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.