2017 Free Agent Frenzy

WildCard

Jussi Jokinen, Lauri Korpikosky, and Viktor Stalberg are 3 UFA LWs that would be available for cheap, that I think would be able to help shore up our left side depth. Speed is a common attribute amoung these three. Any interest?

These 3 are in addition to the heavily discussed Vanek.

Jokinen would be a great add.

Other than the head scratching inclusion of Franson, there's a very obvious trend in age on that list.  It's also is half full of former Sabres.  That's an odd coincidence.

Shed some wisdom on me, people. 

My concern with signing Vanek now is team speed. Between Vanek and Pominville the lines look pretty slow overall, right?

Am I crazy, or is it worth consideration?

Vanek played on a line with Andreas Athanasiou in Detroit.  He kept up fine.

@SabresBuzz
Leafs are now $2.4M over cap. Marleau and JVR LW. JVR moving into final season of contract and is owed $4.25M

was reading where the leafs are over the cap til they move both Joffrey Lupul and Nathan horton to LTIR which will actually put them comfortably under the cap (these two represent about 12mil)

was reading where the leafs are over the cap til they move both Joffrey Lupul and Nathan horton to LTIR which will actually put them comfortably under the cap (these two represent about 12mil)

Except that they have to be under the cap before Game 1. LTIR counts against the cap at all points, it allows you to exceed the cap by the total amount of the contracts on LTIR after the season starts.

Jussi Jokinen, Lauri Korpikosky, and Viktor Stalberg are 3 UFA LWs that would be available for cheap, that I think would be able to help shore up our left side depth. Speed is a common attribute amoung these three. Any interest?

These 3 are in addition to the heavily discussed Vanek.

OK I'll say it...I always liked Stahlberg. Big and Fast. More Swedes is good too. 

Vanek played on a line with Andreas Athanasiou in Detroit.  He kept up fine.

Yeah I don't really understand this concern either. I'd imagine the only thing preventing JB from signing Vanek is what Vanek is asking for, not whether or not he'd be a good piece. 17-31-48 in 68 games last year, 12/17 goals were 5v5. He'd be a great short term addition for us.

Yeah I don't really understand this concern either. I'd imagine the only thing preventing JB from signing Vanek is what Vanek is asking for, not whether or not he'd be a good piece. 17-31-48 in 68 games last year, 12/17 goals were 5v5. He'd be a great short term addition for us.

Might be the gambling situation.  TP preached character in his presser when he hired JBOT.

Might be, but we can't pass on a 20 goal scoring LW  when we have a massive hole there.

Character only when it's convenient isn't character.  IF not signing Vanek is character related, then I have to respect that.  If it's not a character thing, I think we should have already signed him.  Maybe waiting for the price (or the term) to come down.

I kind of see signing Vanek as a link to an alternate universe where the rotten core was not so vigorously blown up.  It aligns us to a set of probabilities of what might have been if Pommers and Vanek had never left.  It's an interesting study into alternate history much as Man in the High Castle is.  I'm not sure I want to live it though.  We talk about holes at LW but I think at least one of our prospects should be ready to fill that hole, with others chomping at the bit as depth when injuries come.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.