Bucky tears into Pegulas — "At what point does the honeymoon end?"

PASabreFan

Buffalo fans are left in an internal wrestling match, a conflict between civic appreciation and competitive disappointment. Do they thank the Pegulas for purchasing the Bills and Sabres or condemn them for their roles in both teams becoming perennial losers? At what point does the honeymoon end?

http://buffalonews.com/2017/03/26/bucky-gleason-sabres-bills-still-waiting-lifeboats/

For those who don't read Bucky, which is almost everyone, the photo is still worth a look.

Terry: "Do you really think I need to change up the glasses? Get thick black frames like you and Dan? Wait... whoa... I own the hockey team. Shouldn't you guys be wearing these relics from the 70s?"

http://buffalonews.com/2017/03/26/bucky-gleason-sabres-bills-still-waiting-lifeboats/

For those who don't read Bucky, which is almost everyone, the photo is still worth a look.

Terry: "Do you really think I need to change up the glasses? Get thick black frames like you and Dan? Wait... whoa... I own the hockey team. Shouldn't you guys be wearing these relics from the 70s?"

How about not having either team and all the $$ that went into waterfront area?

The honeymoon NEVER ends!!! Get a QB and a couple Dmen.....problem solved.

I am eternally grateful to the Pegulas and own seasons for both teams.

Can we break up with Bucky? The honeymoon period with him has been over for a long time now. :death:

I'll click through later.

I do wonder: How does Bucky ascertain the state the fans are in? (We're somehow homogeneous?) And to what state does he propose they move? And to what anticipated effect?

Bucky's P1's (a broadcasting reference to those who are your most ardent audience) are miserable people. Edited by PromoTheRobot

I have a lot of gratitude to the Pegulas for keeping both teams in Buffalo. And for all the money they've brought into the area. They deserve a lot of credit for all of that.

However, I do agree that the Pegulas should be more accountable at this point. Of course as usual Bucky is just way off base. I do think Waley should have been fired with Rex Ryan though. And my patience for GMTM is starting to run thin. If the Sabres don't finally make the jump to the playoffs next year/he doesn't give us some real defensive depth this off-season he should be gone too.

When the Bills inevitably miss the playoffs again next year because Whaley resigned a so-so QB whose best skill is running the ball, no one should be surprised. And Whaley should finally be fired. I hope that doesn't mean Sean McDermitt would have to go, but of course that would be up to the new GM. I like the hire, although we'll see if I feel the same way after next season.

The Pegulas shouldn't accept missing the playoffs again from either team and they should hold the GMs accountable by firing them and finding someone who can get the job done. Of course that's easier said than done, especially when it seems that the only people willing to come to Buffalo require to be overpaid to do so..

Nice gift on Terry's birthday, Bucky. All class.

Should he have known that? If he did, should he have postponed the column?

I'll click through later.

I do wonder: How does Bucky ascertain the state the fans are in? (We're somehow homogeneous?) And to what state does he propose they move? And to what anticipated effect?

Social media? Maybe Bucky gets around and talks to people. I dunno. I did find the characterization of the fan mood as somewhat of a straw man.

Bucky's P1's (a broadcasting reference to those who are your most ardent audience) are miserable people.

I do harken back to when Terry met with the News editorial board on the day of his intro. presser. He told them part of the reason that the Sabres had quit in them was the News' coverage. And if the coverage was more positive, the players would perform better. Harrington responded that back in 06 and 07, the paper was full of positive coverage, full color posters for the playoffs and so on. The tone of the coverage follows the state of the team. I bet Bucky's most ardent readers in those years were very happy people. Why shouldn't fans of these teams be miserable? No one on this board is whistling a happy tune, that's for sure (well, maybe the eternal optimist Dudacek).

Bucky is all hyperbole and not worth my time reading. On TPegs issue, I agree he is on a learning curve on how to get right people in right positions. TM probably has 1 or 2 years left without substantive results. 2 only if he fires DD. If DD is here next year gotta believe both are gone along with his uncle Terry.

F&Ck Buck(y)

I'm eternally grateful to Pegulas

They have only a few things to do:

1- Find the RIGHT person to run the on-the-field operations for each franchise; whether that's a fully empowered GM or a VP of Football/Hockey Operations, I don't care.  I think GMTM still might be the right guy, I know Whaley is NOT.

2- Empower them

3-write the checks

4-Enjoy watching the games

I have a lot of gratitude to the Pegulas for keeping both teams in Buffalo. And for all the money they've brought into the area. They deserve a lot of credit for all of that.

However, I do agree that the Pegulas should be more accountable at this point. Of course as usual Bucky is just way off base. I do think Waley should have been fired with Rex Ryan though. And my patience for GMTM is starting to run thin. If the Sabres don't finally make the jump to the playoffs next year/he doesn't give us some real defensive depth this off-season he should be gone too.

When the Bills inevitably miss the playoffs again next year because Whaley resigned a so-so QB whose best skill is running the ball, no one should be surprised. And Whaley should finally be fired. I hope that doesn't mean Sean McDermitt would have to go, but of course that would be up to the new GM. I like the hire, although we'll see if I feel the same way after next season.

The Pegulas shouldn't accept missing the playoffs again from either team and they should hold the GMs accountable by firing them and finding someone who can get the job done. Of course that's easier said than done, especially when it seems that the only people willing to come to Buffalo require to be overpaid to do so..

What exactly does being accountable mean here? Publicly accepting blame for failing to reach the playoffs? That will placate people for a day. Fire everyone and start over? Put Bucky and Sully in charge of the Bills and Sabres?

Bucky's assessment of the Sabres needs was way overstated. Up front we'll be fine. Need a top two defenseman and another top four. This team is a lot closer than Bucky wants to admit. Bills are more troubling. Franchise quarterbacks are hard to find and it's the most important part of winning in football.

Any good entrepreneur knows that just because you have the capital to buy the business, it doesn't mean you have the expertise to run it. The Pegulas are nice people and mean well... and they do well on the PR front... but I agree with Bucky that there isn't much empirical evidence that they have any idea how to create a winning culture within their organizations.

It is important to acknowledge how lucky the city of Buffalo was getting the pegula's to buy both teams and keep them there. They have hired what they feel to be the best people available and have spared NO EXPENSE to do so. babcock reneging on a gentleman's agreement and going to Toronto as NOT the pegula's fault...they offered the vault basically. Things would be different if Babs had come here for sure. otherwise, Pegula's have stressed they want a winner and are paying big bucks to try and fulfill that goal. Not sure exactly what else they are suppose to do...they are passionate people and have a great passion for you, the people of Buffalo  and you all should be proud of thankful of and for them.

Social media? Maybe Bucky gets around and talks to people. I dunno. I did find the characterization of the fan mood as somewhat of a straw man.

My larger questions are really: To what state - from honeymoon to _____ - does Bucky advocate the fans move? And what does he think the effect of that move will be?

Is his idea that the fans abandon the Pegula-owned franchises in droves, and thus prompt the Pegulas to -- what, exactly? Is there something that the Pegulas are not now doing that they would do if the arena and stadium were empty?

I just don't think so. I think the Pegulas are doing what they're doing because they think it's the best way to do it, and I don't think that's apt to change much if the fans were to end the honeymoon phase (or whatever) and start turning their backs on the teams they love so well. 

My larger questions are really: To what state - from honeymoon to _____ - does Bucky advocate the fans move? And what does he think the effect of that move will be?

Is his idea that the fans abandon the Pegula-owned franchises in droves, and thus prompt the Pegulas to -- what, exactly? Is there something that the Pegulas are not now doing that they would do if the arena and stadium were empty?

I just don't think so. I think the Pegulas are doing what they're doing because they think it's the best way to do it, and I don't think that's apt to change much if the fans were to end the honeymoon phase (or whatever) and start turning their backs on the teams they love so well. 

I don't think he's calling for a boycott. He's probably like me, scratching my head over the lack of heat the owners take (although the heat is being turned up a bit). I think Bucky would he happy to see the fans having a more levelheaded conversation about ownership, while leaving 716 and alumni night out of it.

Here's the deal: The Sabres are four or five, maybe six, upgrades away from being a perennial playoff contender. They're three top-six forwards and three top-four defensemen from becoming a championship contender. To suggest otherwise is buying false hope and giving Tim Murray too much credit.

Risto and McCabe seem like capable top 4 D to me, so two should be enough.    One spot might be fixed by Guhle.

3 top 6 forwards is the kind of thinking I don't want, I look at top 9 and I want Samson as our 3C.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.